Обсуждение: Hyperlinks for source file references

Hyperlinks for source file references

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
hyperlinks for files in the postgres source tree by linking to the gitweb
interface at git.postgresql.org.  This, IMO, makes the content referred to more
accessible, and is especially interesting for README files.  The links in
question can be found here:

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/tableam.html

Right now we have ~85 references to source files using <filename /> in the
docs, should we convert them to hyperlinks like the ones in the Table AM docs?
I would be happy to make a patch that implements this, but I wanted to check
here before making the effort to make sure it's not immediately nayed.

This does of course present a question for the backbranches, pointing to the
HEAD version in the docs for a previous major release isn't entirely accurate.
On the other hand, we already do that today in the above tableam page so if we
don't like that we might as well sort out now what to do about that.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Hyperlinks for source file references

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Sep-25, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> This does of course present a question for the backbranches, pointing to the
> HEAD version in the docs for a previous major release isn't entirely accurate.
> On the other hand, we already do that today in the above tableam page so if we
> don't like that we might as well sort out now what to do about that.

I think you can just change the ;hb=HEAD parameter in the URL to the
current branch.

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/include/access/tableam.h;hb=REL_12_STABLE
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/include/access/tableam.h;hb=master

It should be easy to add a line to version.sgml that expands to the
current branch.

Re: Hyperlinks for source file references

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 25 Sep 2023, at 14:22, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> On 2023-Sep-25, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> This does of course present a question for the backbranches, pointing to the
>> HEAD version in the docs for a previous major release isn't entirely accurate.
>> On the other hand, we already do that today in the above tableam page so if we
>> don't like that we might as well sort out now what to do about that.
>
> I think you can just change the ;hb=HEAD parameter in the URL to the
> current branch.
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/include/access/tableam.h;hb=REL_12_STABLE
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/include/access/tableam.h;hb=master
>
> It should be easy to add a line to version.sgml that expands to the
> current branch.

That's a good idea, it would remove any backpatching issues since all links
would be hb=&gitbranch;

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Hyperlinks for source file references

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 25.09.23 13:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> hyperlinks for files in the postgres source tree by linking to the gitweb
> interface at git.postgresql.org.  This, IMO, makes the content referred to more
> accessible, and is especially interesting for README files.  The links in
> question can be found here:
>
>      https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/tableam.html
>
> Right now we have ~85 references to source files using <filename /> in the
> docs, should we convert them to hyperlinks like the ones in the Table AM docs?
> I would be happy to make a patch that implements this, but I wanted to check
> here before making the effort to make sure it's not immediately nayed.

A slightly fancier variant that avoids having to hardcode the git web
URL pattern in a bunch of places:

You mark it up like

     <ulink url="file://src/include/access/tableam.h" type="pgsrc"/>

and then write a bit of XSL to process that into whatever form you want.

Re: Hyperlinks for source file references

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 27 Sep 2023, at 15:18, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>
> On 25.09.23 13:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> hyperlinks for files in the postgres source tree by linking to the gitweb
>> interface at git.postgresql.org.  This, IMO, makes the content referred to more
>> accessible, and is especially interesting for README files.  The links in
>> question can be found here:
>>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/tableam.html
>> Right now we have ~85 references to source files using <filename /> in the
>> docs, should we convert them to hyperlinks like the ones in the Table AM docs?
>> I would be happy to make a patch that implements this, but I wanted to check
>> here before making the effort to make sure it's not immediately nayed.
>
> A slightly fancier variant that avoids having to hardcode the git web URL pattern in a bunch of places:
>
> You mark it up like
>
>    <ulink url="file://src/include/access/tableam.h" type="pgsrc"/>
>
> and then write a bit of XSL to process that into whatever form you want.

Ah yes, thats a neater version.  Since noone objected to the idea I will go
hack up an attempt at this to share.

--
Daniel Gustafsson