Обсуждение: Quoting filename in using facing log messages

Quoting filename in using facing log messages

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Looking at ZQFUGOuS5DU4DsE4@paquier.xyz I noticed that we had a a few instances
of filenames in userfacing log messages (ie not elog or DEBUGx etc) not being
quoted, where the vast majority are quoted like \"%s\".  Any reason not to
quote them as per the attached to be consistent across all log messages?

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения

Re: Quoting filename in using facing log messages

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 13.09.23 13:48, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Looking at ZQFUGOuS5DU4DsE4@paquier.xyz I noticed that we had a a few instances
> of filenames in userfacing log messages (ie not elog or DEBUGx etc) not being
> quoted, where the vast majority are quoted like \"%s\".  Any reason not to
> quote them as per the attached to be consistent across all log messages?

Since WAL file names have a predictable format, there is less pressure
to quote them to avoid ambiguities.  But in general we should try to be
consistent, so your patch makes sense to me.

Re: Quoting filename in using facing log messages

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 13 Sep 2023, at 13:55, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>
> On 13.09.23 13:48, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Looking at ZQFUGOuS5DU4DsE4@paquier.xyz I noticed that we had a a few instances
>> of filenames in userfacing log messages (ie not elog or DEBUGx etc) not being
>> quoted, where the vast majority are quoted like \"%s\".  Any reason not to
>> quote them as per the attached to be consistent across all log messages?
>
> Since WAL file names have a predictable format, there is less pressure to quote them to avoid ambiguities.  But in
generalwe should try to be consistent

Correct, this is all for consistency.

> so your patch makes sense to me.

Thanks!

It might be worth concatenating the errmsg() while there since we typically
don't linebreak errmsg strings anymore for greppability:

-     errmsg("could not write to log file %s "
-        "at offset %u, length %zu: %m",
+     errmsg("could not write to log file \"%s\" at offset %u, length %zu: %m",

I don't have strong feelings wrt that, just have a vague memory of "concatenate
when touching" as an informal guideline.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Quoting filename in using facing log messages

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 02:02:47PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> It might be worth concatenating the errmsg() while there since we typically
> don't linebreak errmsg strings anymore for greppability:
>
> -     errmsg("could not write to log file %s "
> -        "at offset %u, length %zu: %m",
> +     errmsg("could not write to log file \"%s\" at offset %u, length %zu: %m",
>
> I don't have strong feelings wrt that, just have a vague memory of "concatenate
> when touching" as an informal guideline.

Because these are slightly easier to grep when looking for a given
pattern in the tree.

(I'm OK with your patch as well, FWIW.)
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Quoting filename in using facing log messages

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 14 Sep 2023, at 09:56, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote: