Обсуждение: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi,

I have fallen into this trap and others have too. If you run
EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) no de-toasting happens. This makes query-runtimes
differ a lot. The bigger point is that the average user expects more
from EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) than what it provides. This can be suprising. You
can force detoasting during explain with explicit calls to length(), but
that is tedious. Those of us who are forced to work using java stacks,
orms and still store mostly documents fall into this trap sooner or
later. I have already received some good feedback on this one, so this
is an issue that bother quite a few people out there.

Attached is a patch for addressing the issue in form of adding another
parameter to explain. I don't know if that is a good idea, but I got
some feedback that a solution to this problem would be appreciated by
some people out there. It would also be nice to reflect the detoasting
in the "buffers" option of explain as well. The change for detoasting is
only a few lines though.

So the idea was to allow this

EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, DETOAST) SELECT * FROM sometable;

and perform the detoasting step additionally during the explain. This
just gives a more realistic runtime and by playing around with the
parameter and comparing the execution-times of the query one even gets
an impression about the detoasting cost involved in a query. Since the
parameter is purely optional, it would not affect any existing measures.

It is not uncommon that the runtime of explain-analyze is way
unrealistic in the real world, where people use PostgreSQL to store
larger and larger documents inside tables and not using Large-Objects.

Here is a video of the effect (in an exagerated form):
https://www.stepanrutz.com/short_detoast_subtitles.mp4

It would be great to get some feedback on the subject and how to address
this, maybe in totally different ways.

Greetings from cologne, Stepan

Stepan Rutz - IT Consultant, Cologne Germany, stepan.rutz AT gmx.de

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 12:56, stepan rutz <stepan.rutz@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have fallen into this trap and others have too. If you run
> EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) no de-toasting happens. This makes query-runtimes
> differ a lot. The bigger point is that the average user expects more
> from EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) than what it provides. This can be suprising. You
> can force detoasting during explain with explicit calls to length(), but
> that is tedious. Those of us who are forced to work using java stacks,
> orms and still store mostly documents fall into this trap sooner or
> later. I have already received some good feedback on this one, so this
> is an issue that bother quite a few people out there.

Yes, the lack of being able to see the impact of detoasting (amongst
others) in EXPLAIN (ANALYZE) can hide performance issues.

> It would be great to get some feedback on the subject and how to address
> this, maybe in totally different ways.

Hmm, maybe we should measure the overhead of serializing the tuples instead.
The difference between your patch and "serializing the tuples, but not
sending them" is that serializing also does the detoasting, but also
includes any time spent in the serialization functions of the type. So
an option "SERIALIZE" which measures all the time the server spent on
the query (except the final step of sending the bytes to the client)
would likely be more useful than "just" detoasting.

> 0001_explain_analyze_and_detoast.patch

I notice that this patch creates and destroys a memory context for
every tuple that the DestReceiver receives. I think that's quite
wasteful, as you should be able to create only one memory context and
reset it before (or after) each processed tuple. That also reduces the
differences in measurements between EXPLAIN and normal query
processing of the tuples - after all, we don't create new memory
contexts for every tuple in the normal DestRemote receiver either,
right?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi Matthias,

thanks for your feedback.

I wasn't sure on the memory-contexts. I was actually also unsure on
whether the array

   TupleTableSlot.tts_isnull

is also set up correctly by the previous call to slot_getallattrs(slot).
This would allow to get rid of even more code from this patch, which is
in the loop and determines whether a field is null or not. I switched to
using tts_isnull from TupleTableSlot now, seems to be ok and the docs
say it is save to use.

Also I reuse the MemoryContext throughout the livetime of the receiver.
Not sure if that makes a difference. One more thing I noticed. During
explain.c the DestReceiver's destroy callback was never invoked. I added
a line to do that, however I am unsure whether this is the right place
or a good idea in the first place. This potentially affects plain
analyze calls as well, though seems to behave nicely. Even when I
explain (analyze) select * into ....

This is the call I am talking about, which was missing from explain.c

   dest->rDestroy(dest);

Attached a new patch. Hoping for feedback,

Greetings, Stepan

On 12.09.23 14:25, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 12:56, stepan rutz<stepan.rutz@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have fallen into this trap and others have too. If you run
>> EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) no de-toasting happens. This makes query-runtimes
>> differ a lot. The bigger point is that the average user expects more
>> from EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) than what it provides. This can be suprising. You
>> can force detoasting during explain with explicit calls to length(), but
>> that is tedious. Those of us who are forced to work using java stacks,
>> orms and still store mostly documents fall into this trap sooner or
>> later. I have already received some good feedback on this one, so this
>> is an issue that bother quite a few people out there.
> Yes, the lack of being able to see the impact of detoasting (amongst
> others) in EXPLAIN (ANALYZE) can hide performance issues.
>
>> It would be great to get some feedback on the subject and how to address
>> this, maybe in totally different ways.
> Hmm, maybe we should measure the overhead of serializing the tuples instead.
> The difference between your patch and "serializing the tuples, but not
> sending them" is that serializing also does the detoasting, but also
> includes any time spent in the serialization functions of the type. So
> an option "SERIALIZE" which measures all the time the server spent on
> the query (except the final step of sending the bytes to the client)
> would likely be more useful than "just" detoasting.
>
>> 0001_explain_analyze_and_detoast.patch
> I notice that this patch creates and destroys a memory context for
> every tuple that the DestReceiver receives. I think that's quite
> wasteful, as you should be able to create only one memory context and
> reset it before (or after) each processed tuple. That also reduces the
> differences in measurements between EXPLAIN and normal query
> processing of the tuples - after all, we don't create new memory
> contexts for every tuple in the normal DestRemote receiver either,
> right?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matthias van de Meent

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Дата:
Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm, maybe we should measure the overhead of serializing the tuples instead.
> The difference between your patch and "serializing the tuples, but not
> sending them" is that serializing also does the detoasting, but also
> includes any time spent in the serialization functions of the type. So
> an option "SERIALIZE" which measures all the time the server spent on
> the query (except the final step of sending the bytes to the client)
> would likely be more useful than "just" detoasting.

+1, that was my immediate reaction to the proposal as well.  Some
output functions are far from cheap.  Doing only the detoast part
seems like it's still misleading.

Do we need to go as far as offering both text-output and binary-output
options?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Дата:
Hi Stepan & all,

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 17:16:00 +0200
stepan rutz <stepan.rutz@gmx.de> wrote:

> Attached a new patch. Hoping for feedback,

Nice addition to EXPLAIN!

On the feature front, what about adding the actual detoasting/serializing time
in the explain output?

That could be:

  =>  explain (analyze,serialize,costs off,timing off)
      select * from test_detoast;
                        QUERY PLAN
  ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   Seq Scan on public.test_detoast (actual rows=Nv loops=N)
   Planning Time: N ms
   Execution Time: N ms
   Serialize Time: N ms

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi Tom, Hi Matthias,

you are right of course. I have looked at the code from printtup.c and
made a new version of the patch.

Thanks for the MemoryContextReset hint too (@Matthias)

This time is called  EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZE) (hey, it also sounds
nicer phonetically)

If the option SERIALIZE is active, the output functions are called and
they perform the detoasting, which I have even checked.

So things are better this way, however I hardcoded the output option
"Text" (format=0). In printtup.c there is an incoming array which
applies Text (format=0) or Binary (format=1) for each column
individually. I am not sure whether this is even needed. I left in the
if-statement from printtup.c which calls the binary output method of a
given type. The result of the output is ignored and apparently free'd
because of the memory-context-reset at the end.

Please also note, that I added a call to DestReceiver's rDestroy hook,
which was missing from explain.c before altogether.

Feedback is appreciated.

/Stepan

On 12.09.23 17:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hmm, maybe we should measure the overhead of serializing the tuples instead.
>> The difference between your patch and "serializing the tuples, but not
>> sending them" is that serializing also does the detoasting, but also
>> includes any time spent in the serialization functions of the type. So
>> an option "SERIALIZE" which measures all the time the server spent on
>> the query (except the final step of sending the bytes to the client)
>> would likely be more useful than "just" detoasting.
> +1, that was my immediate reaction to the proposal as well.  Some
> output functions are far from cheap.  Doing only the detoast part
> seems like it's still misleading.
>
> Do we need to go as far as offering both text-output and binary-output
> options?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi,

please see a revised version yesterday's mail. The patch attached now
provides the following:

EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZE)

and

EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZEBINARY)

and timing output.

Both options perform the serialization during analyze and provide an
additional output in the plan like this:

template1=# explain (analyze,serialize) select * from t12 limit 1;
                                               QUERY PLAN

  Serialized Bytes: 36 bytes
  Execution Time: 0.035 ms
(5 rows)

or also this

template1=# explain (analyze,serialize) select * from t1;
                                          QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on t1  (cost=0.00..1.02 rows=2 width=19) (actual
time=0.101..0.111 rows=5 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.850 ms
  Serialized Bytes: 85777978 bytes
  Execution Time: 354.284 ms
(4 rows)

Its tempting to divide Serialized-Bytes by Execution-Time to get an idea
of the serialization bandwidth. This is /dev/null serialization though.
The results are length-counted and then discarded.

Since detoasting happens implicitly during serialization, the number of
bytes becomes huge in this case and accounts for the detoasted lengths
as well. I tried to get the number of bytes send for the protocol's
messages and the attribute headers correctly. For the actual values I am
quite sure I get the correct measures, as one can really tell by sending
more values across. Null is 4 bytes on the wire interestingly. I didn't
know that, but it makes sense, since its using the same prefix
length-field as all values do.

I have checked the JBDC driver and it uses binary and text formats
depending on an attribute's type oid. So having the SERIALIZEBINARY
option is not accurate, as in reality both formats can be occur for the
same tuple.

Please provide some feedback on the new patch and let me know if this
makes sense. In general this kind of option for EXPLAIN is a good thing
for sure.

Greetings,

Stepan

On 14.09.23 21:27, stepan rutz wrote:
> Hi Tom, Hi Matthias,
>
> you are right of course. I have looked at the code from printtup.c and
> made a new version of the patch.
>
> Thanks for the MemoryContextReset hint too (@Matthias)
>
> This time is called  EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZE) (hey, it also sounds
> nicer phonetically)
>
> If the option SERIALIZE is active, the output functions are called and
> they perform the detoasting, which I have even checked.
>
> So things are better this way, however I hardcoded the output option
> "Text" (format=0). In printtup.c there is an incoming array which
> applies Text (format=0) or Binary (format=1) for each column
> individually. I am not sure whether this is even needed. I left in the
> if-statement from printtup.c which calls the binary output method of a
> given type. The result of the output is ignored and apparently free'd
> because of the memory-context-reset at the end.
>
> Please also note, that I added a call to DestReceiver's rDestroy hook,
> which was missing from explain.c before altogether.
>
> Feedback is appreciated.
>
> /Stepan
>

> On 12.09.23 17:26, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Hmm, maybe we should measure the overhead of serializing the tuples
>>> instead.
>>> The difference between your patch and "serializing the tuples, but not
>>> sending them" is that serializing also does the detoasting, but also
>>> includes any time spent in the serialization functions of the type. So
>>> an option "SERIALIZE" which measures all the time the server spent on
>>> the query (except the final step of sending the bytes to the client)
>>> would likely be more useful than "just" detoasting.
>> +1, that was my immediate reaction to the proposal as well. Some
>> output functions are far from cheap.  Doing only the detoast part
>> seems like it's still misleading.
>>
>> Do we need to go as far as offering both text-output and binary-output
>> options?
>>
>>             regards, tom lane

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Hi,

On 9/15/23 22:09, stepan rutz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please see a revised version yesterday's mail. The patch attached now
> provides the following:
>
> EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZE)
>
> and
>
> EXPLAIN(ANALYZE,SERIALIZEBINARY)

I haven't looked at the patch in detail yet, but this option name looks
a bit strange/inconsistent. Either it should be SERIALIZE_BINARY (to
match other multi-word options), or maybe there should be just SERIALIZE
with a parameter to determine text/binary (like FORMAT, for example).

So we'd do either

    EXPLAIN (SERIALIZE)
    EXPLAIN (SERIALIZE TEXT)

to get serialization to text (which I guess 99% of people will do), or

    EXPLAIN (SERIALIZE BINARY)

to get binary.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi Thomas,

you are right of course. Thanks!

I have attached a new version of the patch that supports the syntax like
suggested. The previous patch was insonsistent in style indeed.

explain (analyze, serialize)

and

explain (analyze, serialize binary)

That doesn't make too much of a difference for most scenarios I am
certain. However the the seralize option itself does. Mostly because it
performs the detoasting and that was a trap for me in the past with just
plain analyze.

Eg this scenario really is not too far fetched in a world where people
have large JSONB values.

db1=# create table test(id bigint, val text);

db1=# insert into test(val) select string_agg(s::text, ',') from (select
generate_series(1, 10_000_000) as s) as a1;

now we have a cell that has roughly 80Mb in it. A large detoasting that
will happen in reallife but in explain(analyze).

and then...

db1=# explain (analyze) select * from test;
                                             QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
time=0.018..0.020 rows=1 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.085 ms
  Execution Time: 0.044 ms
(3 rows)

db1=# explain (analyze, serialize) select * from test;
                                             QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
time=0.023..0.027 rows=1 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.077 ms
  Execution Time: 303.281 ms
  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec
(4 rows)

db1=#

So the explain(analyze) does not process the ~80 MB in 0.044ms in any
way of course.

Actually I could print the serialized bytes using 1. grouping-separators
(eg 78_888_953) or 2. in the way pg_size_pretty does it.

If doing it the pg_size_pretty way I am uncertain if it would be ok to
query the actual pg_size_pretty function via its (certainly frozen) oid
of 3166 and do OidFunctionCall1(3166...) to invoke it. Otherwise I'd say
it would be nice if the code from that function would be made available
as a utility function for all c-code.  Any suggestions on this topic?

Regards,

/Stepan

On 11/2/23 20:09, stepan rutz wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> you are right of course. Thanks!
>
> I have attached a new version of the patch that supports the syntax like
> suggested. The previous patch was insonsistent in style indeed.
>
> explain (analyze, serialize)
>
> and
>
> explain (analyze, serialize binary)
>
> That doesn't make too much of a difference for most scenarios I am
> certain. However the the seralize option itself does. Mostly because it
> performs the detoasting and that was a trap for me in the past with just
> plain analyze.
>

> Eg this scenario really is not too far fetched in a world where people
> have large JSONB values.
>

> db1=# create table test(id bigint, val text);
>
> db1=# insert into test(val) select string_agg(s::text, ',') from (select
> generate_series(1, 10_000_000) as s) as a1;
>
> now we have a cell that has roughly 80Mb in it. A large detoasting that
> will happen in reallife but in explain(analyze).
>
> and then...
>
> db1=# explain (analyze) select * from test;
>                                             QUERY PLAN
>  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
> time=0.018..0.020 rows=1 loops=1)
>  Planning Time: 0.085 ms
>  Execution Time: 0.044 ms
> (3 rows)
>
> db1=# explain (analyze, serialize) select * from test;
>                                             QUERY PLAN
>  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
> time=0.023..0.027 rows=1 loops=1)
>  Planning Time: 0.077 ms
>  Execution Time: 303.281 ms
>  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec
> (4 rows)
>
> db1=#
>
> So the explain(analyze) does not process the ~80 MB in 0.044ms in any
> way of course.

Honestly, I see absolutely no point in printing this. I have little idea
what to do with the "bytes". We have to transfer this over network, but
surely there's other data not included in this sum, right?

But the bandwidth seems pretty bogus/useless, as it's calculated from
execution time, which includes everything else, not just serialization.
So what does it say? It certainly does not include the network transfer.

IMO we should either print nothing or just the bytes. I don't see the
point in printing the mode, which is determined by the command.

> Actually I could print the serialized bytes using 1. grouping-separators
> (eg 78_888_953) or 2. in the way pg_size_pretty does it.
>
> If doing it the pg_size_pretty way I am uncertain if it would be ok to
> query the actual pg_size_pretty function via its (certainly frozen) oid
> of 3166 and do OidFunctionCall1(3166...) to invoke it. Otherwise I'd say
> it would be nice if the code from that function would be made available
> as a utility function for all c-code.  Any suggestions on this topic?

I'm rather skeptical about this proposal, mostly because it makes it
harder to process the explain output in scripts etc.

But more importantly, it's a completely separate matter from what this
patch does, so if you want to pursue this, I suggest you start a
separate thread. If you want to introduce separators, surely this is not
the only place that should do it (e.g. why not to do that for "rows" or
"cost" estimates)?

BTW if you really want to print amount of memory, maybe print it in
kilobytes, like every other place in explain.c? Also, explain generally
prints stuff in "key: value" style (in text format).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi Thomas,

indeed by doing less the code also becomes trivial and
ExplainPropertyInteger can be used as a oneliner.

My intention was to actually get the realistic payload-bytes from the
wire-protocol counted by the serialization option. I am also adding the
protocol bits and the length of the data that is generated by
serialization output-functions. So it should (hopefully) be the real
numbers.

Attached is a new revision of the patch that prints kB (floor'ed by
integer-division by 1024). Maybe that is also misleading and bytes would
be nicer (though harder to read).

The output is now as follows:

db1=# explain (analyze, serialize) select * from test;
                                             QUERY PLAN
  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
time=0.014..0.017 rows=1 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.245 ms
  Execution Time: 292.983 ms
  Serialized Bytes: 77039 kB
(4 rows)

Definately a lot nicer and controlled by  ExplainPropertyInteger in
terms of formatting.

The main motivation was to actually get a correct feeling for the
execution time. Actually counting the bytes gives an impression of what
would go over the wire. Only the big numbers matter here of course.

Regards, Stepan

On 02.11.23 20:32, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> [...]
>> as a utility function for all c-code.  Any suggestions on this topic?
>>
> I'm rather skeptical about this proposal, mostly because it makes it
> harder to process the explain output in scripts etc.
>
> But more importantly, it's a completely separate matter from what this
> patch does, so if you want to pursue this, I suggest you start a
> separate thread. If you want to introduce separators, surely this is not
> the only place that should do it (e.g. why not to do that for "rows" or
> "cost" estimates)?
>
> BTW if you really want to print amount of memory, maybe print it in
> kilobytes, like every other place in explain.c? Also, explain generally
> prints stuff in "key: value" style (in text format).
>

> regards

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Дата:
On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 20:32, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/23 20:09, stepan rutz wrote:
> > db1=# explain (analyze, serialize) select * from test;
> >                                             QUERY PLAN
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
> > time=0.023..0.027 rows=1 loops=1)
> >  Planning Time: 0.077 ms
> >  Execution Time: 303.281 ms
> >  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec
> [...]
> BTW if you really want to print amount of memory, maybe print it in
> kilobytes, like every other place in explain.c?

Isn't node width in bytes, or is it an opaque value not to be
interpreted by users? I've never really investigated that part of
Postgres' explain output...

> Also, explain generally
> prints stuff in "key: value" style (in text format).

That'd be key: metrickey=metricvalue for expanded values like those in
plan nodes and the buffer usage, no?

> >  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

[...]
Execution Time: xxx ms
Serialization: time=yyy.yyy (in ms) size=yyy (in KiB, or B) mode=text
(or binary)

This is significantly different from your output, as it doesn't hide
the measured time behind a lossy calculation of bandwidth, but gives
the measured data to the user; allowing them to derive their own
precise bandwidth if they're so inclined.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

On 11/2/23 21:02, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 20:32, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On 11/2/23 20:09, stepan rutz wrote:
>>> db1=# explain (analyze, serialize) select * from test;
>>>                                             QUERY PLAN
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>  Seq Scan on test  (cost=0.00..22.00 rows=1200 width=40) (actual
>>> time=0.023..0.027 rows=1 loops=1)
>>>  Planning Time: 0.077 ms
>>>  Execution Time: 303.281 ms
>>>  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec
>> [...]
>> BTW if you really want to print amount of memory, maybe print it in
>> kilobytes, like every other place in explain.c?
>
> Isn't node width in bytes, or is it an opaque value not to be
> interpreted by users? I've never really investigated that part of
> Postgres' explain output...

Right, "width=" is always in bytes. But fields like amount of sorted
data is in kB, and this seems closer to that.

>> Also, explain generally
>> prints stuff in "key: value" style (in text format).
>
> That'd be key: metrickey=metricvalue for expanded values like those in
> plan nodes and the buffer usage, no?

Possibly. But the proposed output does neither. Also, it starts with
"Serialized Bytes" but then prints info about bandwidth.

>>>  Serialized Bytes: 78888953 Bytes. Mode Text. Bandwidth 248.068 MB/sec
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:
>
> [...]
> Execution Time: xxx ms
> Serialization: time=yyy.yyy (in ms) size=yyy (in KiB, or B) mode=text
> (or binary)
> > This is significantly different from your output, as it doesn't hide
> the measured time behind a lossy calculation of bandwidth, but gives
> the measured data to the user; allowing them to derive their own
> precise bandwidth if they're so inclined.

Might work. I'm still not convinced we need to include the mode, or that
the size is that interesting/useful, though.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 22:25, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 11/2/23 21:02, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> BTW if you really want to print amount of memory, maybe print it in
> >> kilobytes, like every other place in explain.c?
> >
> > Isn't node width in bytes, or is it an opaque value not to be
> > interpreted by users? I've never really investigated that part of
> > Postgres' explain output...
> >

> Right, "width=" is always in bytes. But fields like amount of sorted
> data is in kB, and this seems closer to that.
>
> >> Also, explain generally
> >> prints stuff in "key: value" style (in text format).
> >
> > That'd be key: metrickey=metricvalue for expanded values like those in
> > plan nodes and the buffer usage, no?
> >

> Possibly. But the proposed output does neither. Also, it starts with
> "Serialized Bytes" but then prints info about bandwidth.

> > I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:
> >
> > [...]
> > Execution Time: xxx ms
> > Serialization: time=yyy.yyy (in ms) size=yyy (in KiB, or B) mode=text
> > (or binary)
> > > This is significantly different from your output, as it doesn't hide
> > the measured time behind a lossy calculation of bandwidth, but gives
> > the measured data to the user; allowing them to derive their own
> > precise bandwidth if they're so inclined.
> >

> Might work. I'm still not convinced we need to include the mode, or that
> the size is that interesting/useful, though.

I'd say size is interesting for systems where network bandwidth is
constrained, but CPU isn't. We currently only show estimated widths &
accurate number of tuples returned, but that's not an accurate
explanation of why your 30-row 3GB resultset took 1h to transmit on a
10mbit line - that is only explained by the bandwidth of your
connection and the size of the dataset. As we can measure the size of
the returned serialized dataset here, I think it's in the interest of
any debugability to also present it to the user. Sadly, we don't have
good measures of bandwidth without sending that data across, so that's
the only metric that we can't show here, but total query data size is
definitely something that I'd be interested in here.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

On 11/2/23 22:33, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 22:25, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't node width in bytes, or is it an opaque value not to be
>>> interpreted by users? I've never really investigated that part of
>>> Postgres' explain output...
>>>

>> Right, "width=" is always in bytes. But fields like amount of sorted
>> data is in kB, and this seems closer to that.

>>> That'd be key: metrickey=metricvalue for expanded values like those in
>>> plan nodes and the buffer usage, no?
>>>

>> Possibly. But the proposed output does neither. Also, it starts with
>> "Serialized Bytes" but then prints info about bandwidth.

>>> I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> Execution Time: xxx ms
>>> Serialization: time=yyy.yyy (in ms) size=yyy (in KiB, or B) mode=text
>>> (or binary)
>>> the measured time behind a lossy calculation of bandwidth, but gives
>>> the measured data to the user; allowing them to derive their own
>>> precise bandwidth if they're so inclined.
>>>

>> Might work. I'm still not convinced we need to include the mode, or that
>> the size is that interesting/useful, though.
>
> I'd say size is interesting for systems where network bandwidth is
> constrained, but CPU isn't. We currently only show estimated widths &
> accurate number of tuples returned, but that's not an accurate
> explanation of why your 30-row 3GB resultset took 1h to transmit on a
> 10mbit line - that is only explained by the bandwidth of your
> connection and the size of the dataset. As we can measure the size of
> the returned serialized dataset here, I think it's in the interest of
> any debugability to also present it to the user. Sadly, we don't have
> good measures of bandwidth without sending that data across, so that's
> the only metric that we can't show here, but total query data size is
> definitely something that I'd be interested in here.

Yeah, I agree with that.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
Hi,

I've taken the liberty to update this patch, and register it in the
commitfest app to not lose track of progress [0].

The attached v8 patch measures scratch memory allocations (with MEMORY
option), total time spent in serialization (with TIMING on, measures
are inclusive of unseparated memcpy to the message buffer), and a
count of produced bytes plus the output format used (text or binary).
It's a light rework of the earlier 0007 patch, I've reused tests and
some infrastructure, while the implementation details and comments
have been updated significantly.

I think we can bikeshed on format and names, but overall I think the
patch is in a very decent shape.

Stepan, thank you for your earlier work, and feel free to check it out
or pick it up again if you want to; else I'll try to get this done.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
Hi Matthias, thanks for picking it up. I still believe this is valuable
to a lot of people out there. Thanks for dealing with my proposal.
Matthias, Tom, Tomas everyone.

Two (more or less) controversial remarks from side.

1. Actually serialization should be the default for "analyze" in
explain, as current analyze doesn't detoast and thus distorts the result
in extreme (but common) cases easily by many order of magnitude (see my
original video on that one). So current "explain analyze" only works for
some queries and since detoasting is really transparent, it is quite
something to leave detoasting out of explain analyze. This surprises
people all the time, since explain analyze suggests it "runs" the query
more realistically.

2. The bandwidth I computed in one of the previous versions of the patch
was certainly cluttering up the explain output and it is misleading yes,
but then again it performs a calculation people will now do in their
head. The "bandwidth" here is how much data your query gets out of
backend by means of the query and the deserialization. So of course if
you do id-lookups you get a single row and such querries do have a lower
data-retrieval bandwidth compared to bulk querries. However having some
measure of how fast data is delivered from the backend especially on
larger joins is still a good indicator of one aspect of a query.

Sorry for the remarks. Both are not really important, just restating my
points here. I understand the objections and reasons that speak against
both points and believe the current scope is just right.

/Stepan

On 26.02.24 20:30, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've taken the liberty to update this patch, and register it in the
> commitfest app to not lose track of progress [0].
>
> The attached v8 patch measures scratch memory allocations (with MEMORY
> option), total time spent in serialization (with TIMING on, measures
> are inclusive of unseparated memcpy to the message buffer), and a
> count of produced bytes plus the output format used (text or binary).
> It's a light rework of the earlier 0007 patch, I've reused tests and
> some infrastructure, while the implementation details and comments
> have been updated significantly.
>
> I think we can bikeshed on format and names, but overall I think the
> patch is in a very decent shape.
>
> Stepan, thank you for your earlier work, and feel free to check it out
> or pick it up again if you want to; else I'll try to get this done.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matthias van de Meent
>
> [0] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4852/

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 21:54, stepan rutz <stepan.rutz@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Matthias, thanks for picking it up. I still believe this is valuable
> to a lot of people out there. Thanks for dealing with my proposal.
> Matthias, Tom, Tomas everyone.
>
> Two (more or less) controversial remarks from side.
>
> 1. Actually serialization should be the default for "analyze" in
> explain, as current analyze doesn't detoast and thus distorts the result
> in extreme (but common) cases easily by many order of magnitude (see my
> original video on that one). So current "explain analyze" only works for
> some queries and since detoasting is really transparent, it is quite
> something to leave detoasting out of explain analyze. This surprises
> people all the time, since explain analyze suggests it "runs" the query
> more realistically.

I'm not sure about this, but it could easily be a mid-beta decision
(if this is introduced before the feature freeze of 17, whenever that
is).

> 2. The bandwidth I computed in one of the previous versions of the patch
> was certainly cluttering up the explain output and it is misleading yes,
> but then again it performs a calculation people will now do in their
> head. The "bandwidth" here is how much data your query gets out of
> backend by means of the query and the deserialization. So of course if
> you do id-lookups you get a single row and such querries do have a lower
> data-retrieval bandwidth compared to bulk querries.

I think that's a job for post-processing the EXPLAIN output by the
user. If we don't give users the raw data, they won't be able to do
their own cross-referenced processing: "5MB/sec" doesn't tell you how
much time or data was actually spent.

> However having some
> measure of how fast data is delivered from the backend especially on
> larger joins is still a good indicator of one aspect of a query.

I'm not sure about that. Network speed is a big limiting factor that
we can't measure here, and the size on disk is often going to be
smaller than the data size when transfered across the network.

> Sorry for the remarks. Both are not really important, just restating my
> points here. I understand the objections and reasons that speak against
> both points and believe the current scope is just right.

No problem. Remarks from users (when built on solid arguments) are
always welcome, even if we may not always agree on the specifics.

------>8------

Attached is v9, which is rebased on master to handle 24eebc65's
changed signature of pq_sendcountedtext.
It now also includes autocompletion, and a second patch which adds
documentation to give users insights into this new addition to
EXPLAIN.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Дата:
Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> Attached is v9, which is rebased on master to handle 24eebc65's
> changed signature of pq_sendcountedtext.
> It now also includes autocompletion, and a second patch which adds
> documentation to give users insights into this new addition to
> EXPLAIN.

I took a quick look through this.  Some comments in no particular
order:

Documentation is not optional, so I don't really see the point of
splitting this into two patches.

IIUC, it's not possible to use the SERIALIZE option when explaining
CREATE TABLE AS, because you can't install the instrumentation tuple
receiver when the IntoRel one is needed.  I think that's fine because
no serialization would happen in that case anyway, but should we
throw an error if that combination is requested?  Blindly reporting
that zero bytes were serialized seems like it'd confuse people.

I'd lose the stuff about measuring memory consumption.  Nobody asked
for that and the total is completely misleading, because in reality
we'll reclaim the memory used after each row.  It would allow cutting
the text-mode output down to one line, too, instead of having your
own format that's not like anything else.

I thought the upthread agreement was to display the amount of
data sent rounded to kilobytes, so why is the code displaying
an exact byte count?

I don't especially care for magic numbers like these:

+        /* see printtup.h why we add 18 bytes here. These are the infos
+         * needed for each attribute plus the attribute's name */
+        receiver->metrics.bytesSent += (int64) namelen + 1 + 18;

If the protocol is ever changed in a way that invalidates this,
there's about 0 chance that somebody would remember to touch
this code.

However, isn't the bottom half of serializeAnalyzeStartup doing
exactly what the comment above it says we don't do, that is accounting
for the RowDescription message?  Frankly I agree with the comment that
it's not worth troubling over, so I'd just drop that code rather than
finding a solution for the magic-number problem.

Don't bother with duplicating valgrind-related logic in
serializeAnalyzeReceive --- that's irrelevant to actual users.

This seems like cowboy coding:

+    self->destRecevier.mydest = DestNone;

You should define a new value of the CommandDest enum and
integrate this receiver type into the support functions
in dest.c.

BTW, "destRecevier" is misspelled...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 17:47, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> > Attached is v9, which is rebased on master to handle 24eebc65's
> > changed signature of pq_sendcountedtext.
> > It now also includes autocompletion, and a second patch which adds
> > documentation to give users insights into this new addition to
> > EXPLAIN.
>
> I took a quick look through this.  Some comments in no particular
> order:

Thanks!

> Documentation is not optional, so I don't really see the point of
> splitting this into two patches.

I've seen the inverse several times, but I've merged them in the
attached version 10.

> IIUC, it's not possible to use the SERIALIZE option when explaining
> CREATE TABLE AS, because you can't install the instrumentation tuple
> receiver when the IntoRel one is needed.  I think that's fine because
> no serialization would happen in that case anyway, but should we
> throw an error if that combination is requested?  Blindly reporting
> that zero bytes were serialized seems like it'd confuse people.

I think it's easily explained as no rows were transfered to the
client. If there is actual confusion, we can document it, but
confusing disk with network is not a case I'd protect against. See
also: EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, SERIALIZE) INSERT without the RETURNING
clause.

> I'd lose the stuff about measuring memory consumption.  Nobody asked
> for that and the total is completely misleading, because in reality
> we'll reclaim the memory used after each row.  It would allow cutting
> the text-mode output down to one line, too, instead of having your
> own format that's not like anything else.

Done.

> I thought the upthread agreement was to display the amount of
> data sent rounded to kilobytes, so why is the code displaying
> an exact byte count?

Probably it was because the other explain code I referenced was using
bytes in the json/yaml format. Fixed.

> I don't especially care for magic numbers like these:
>
> +               /* see printtup.h why we add 18 bytes here. These are the infos
> +                * needed for each attribute plus the attribute's name */
> +               receiver->metrics.bytesSent += (int64) namelen + 1 + 18;
>
> If the protocol is ever changed in a way that invalidates this,
> there's about 0 chance that somebody would remember to touch
> this code.
> However, isn't the bottom half of serializeAnalyzeStartup doing
> exactly what the comment above it says we don't do, that is accounting
> for the RowDescription message?  Frankly I agree with the comment that
> it's not worth troubling over, so I'd just drop that code rather than
> finding a solution for the magic-number problem.

In the comment above I intended to explain that it takes negligible
time to serialize the RowDescription message (when compared to all
other tasks of explain), so skipping the actual writing of the message
would be fine.
I'm not sure I agree with not including the size of RowDescription
itself though, as wide results can have a very large RowDescription
overhead; up to several times the returned data in cases where few
rows are returned.

Either way, I've removed that part of the code.

> Don't bother with duplicating valgrind-related logic in
> serializeAnalyzeReceive --- that's irrelevant to actual users.

Removed. I've instead added buffer usage, as I realised that wasn't
covered yet, and quite important to detect excessive detoasting (it's
not covered at the top-level scan).

> This seems like cowboy coding:
>
> +       self->destRecevier.mydest = DestNone;
>
> You should define a new value of the CommandDest enum and
> integrate this receiver type into the support functions
> in dest.c.

Done.

> BTW, "destRecevier" is misspelled...

Thanks, fixed.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent.

Вложения

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Дата:
Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 17:47, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> IIUC, it's not possible to use the SERIALIZE option when explaining
>> CREATE TABLE AS, because you can't install the instrumentation tuple
>> receiver when the IntoRel one is needed.  I think that's fine because
>> no serialization would happen in that case anyway, but should we
>> throw an error if that combination is requested?  Blindly reporting
>> that zero bytes were serialized seems like it'd confuse people.

> I think it's easily explained as no rows were transfered to the
> client. If there is actual confusion, we can document it, but
> confusing disk with network is not a case I'd protect against. See
> also: EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, SERIALIZE) INSERT without the RETURNING
> clause.

Fair enough.  There were a couple of spots in the code where I thought
this was important to comment about, though.

>> However, isn't the bottom half of serializeAnalyzeStartup doing
>> exactly what the comment above it says we don't do, that is accounting
>> for the RowDescription message?  Frankly I agree with the comment that
>> it's not worth troubling over, so I'd just drop that code rather than
>> finding a solution for the magic-number problem.

> I'm not sure I agree with not including the size of RowDescription
> itself though, as wide results can have a very large RowDescription
> overhead; up to several times the returned data in cases where few
> rows are returned.

Meh --- if we're rounding off to kilobytes, you're unlikely to see it.
In any case, if we start counting overhead messages, where shall we
stop?  Should we count the eventual CommandComplete or ReadyForQuery,
for instance?  I'm content to say that this measures data only; that
seems to jibe with other aspects of EXPLAIN's behavior.

> Removed. I've instead added buffer usage, as I realised that wasn't
> covered yet, and quite important to detect excessive detoasting (it's
> not covered at the top-level scan).

Duh, good catch.

I've pushed this after a good deal of cosmetic polishing -- for
example, I spent some effort on making serializeAnalyzeReceive
look as much like printtup as possible, in hopes of making it
easier to keep the two functions in sync in future.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 23:50, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 17:47, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> IIUC, it's not possible to use the SERIALIZE option when explaining
>>> CREATE TABLE AS, because you can't install the instrumentation tuple
>>> receiver when the IntoRel one is needed.  I think that's fine because
>>> no serialization would happen in that case anyway, but should we
>>> throw an error if that combination is requested?  Blindly reporting
>>> that zero bytes were serialized seems like it'd confuse people.
>
>> I think it's easily explained as no rows were transfered to the
>> client. If there is actual confusion, we can document it, but
>> confusing disk with network is not a case I'd protect against. See
>> also: EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, SERIALIZE) INSERT without the RETURNING
>> clause.
>
> Fair enough.  There were a couple of spots in the code where I thought
> this was important to comment about, though.

Yeah, I'll agree with that.

>>> However, isn't the bottom half of serializeAnalyzeStartup doing
>>> exactly what the comment above it says we don't do, that is accounting
>>> for the RowDescription message?  Frankly I agree with the comment that
>>> it's not worth troubling over, so I'd just drop that code rather than
>>> finding a solution for the magic-number problem.
>
>> I'm not sure I agree with not including the size of RowDescription
>> itself though, as wide results can have a very large RowDescription
>> overhead; up to several times the returned data in cases where few
>> rows are returned.
>
> Meh --- if we're rounding off to kilobytes, you're unlikely to see it.
> In any case, if we start counting overhead messages, where shall we
> stop?  Should we count the eventual CommandComplete or ReadyForQuery,
> for instance?  I'm content to say that this measures data only; that
> seems to jibe with other aspects of EXPLAIN's behavior.

Fine with me.

> > Removed. I've instead added buffer usage, as I realised that wasn't
> > covered yet, and quite important to detect excessive detoasting (it's
> > not covered at the top-level scan).
>
> Duh, good catch.
>
> I've pushed this after a good deal of cosmetic polishing -- for
> example, I spent some effort on making serializeAnalyzeReceive
> look as much like printtup as possible, in hopes of making it
> easier to keep the two functions in sync in future.

Thanks for the review, and for pushing!

-Matthias

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 23:50, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I've pushed this after a good deal of cosmetic polishing -- for
> example, I spent some effort on making serializeAnalyzeReceive
> look as much like printtup as possible, in hopes of making it
> easier to keep the two functions in sync in future.

Upthread at [0], Stepan mentioned that we should default to SERIALIZE
when ANALYZE is enabled. I suspect a patch in that direction would
primarily contain updates in the test plan outputs, but I've not yet
worked on that.

Does anyone else have a strong opinion for or against adding SERIALIZE
to the default set of explain features enabled with ANALYZE?

I'll add this to "Decisions to Recheck Mid-Beta"-section if nobody has
a clear objection.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

[0] https://postgr.es/m/ea885631-21f1-425a-97ed-c4bfb8cf9c63%40gmx.de

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

Дата:
Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> Upthread at [0], Stepan mentioned that we should default to SERIALIZE
> when ANALYZE is enabled. I suspect a patch in that direction would
> primarily contain updates in the test plan outputs, but I've not yet
> worked on that.

> Does anyone else have a strong opinion for or against adding SERIALIZE
> to the default set of explain features enabled with ANALYZE?

I am 100% dead set against that, because it would silently render
EXPLAIN outputs from different versions quite non-comparable.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

От
stepan rutz
Дата:
First of all thanks for bringing this Feature to PostgreSQL. From a
regular-user perspective (not everyone is a Pro) it is very misleading
that ANALYZE doesn't do what it suggests it does. To run the query into
some kind of /dev/null type of destination is feasible and that is what
people end up doing after they have fallen into the "de-toasting" trap.

Having SERIALIZE is a great improvement for certain. When I said that
SERIALIZE should be the default, then this came mostly out of very
surprising subjective experiences in the past. Turning it on certainly
alters some existing benchmarks and timings. That is destructive in a
way and would destroy some existing work and measures. I lack the
overall understanding of the consequences, so please don't follow this
(emotional) advice.

So thanks again! and this will really help a lot of people. The people
actually bothering with EXPLAIN options are likely to explore the
documentation and now have a hint about this pitfall. The EXPLAIN part
of PostgreSQL "feels" a lot better now.

I appreciate all of your work on this issue, which came up without being
on some kind of plan and of course for the overall work on PostgreSQL.

/Stepan