Обсуждение: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

Latest version of ODBC driver fails to build against PostgreSQL 16. A
report is here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5D27E7EF-BBA7-4A44-8FA5-17BAEFED6EB4%40enterprisedb.com

PostgreSQL 16 RC1 is out, so this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Also there are other pending issues, like:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/BY1PR17MB702388305761ED7EC79CA896DC00A%40BY1PR17MB7023.namprd17.prod.outlook.com

and feature requests, like:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/SN4PR0601MB861386378F09DA8BA1E956EFFF02A%40SN4PR0601MB8613.namprd06.prod.outlook.com

Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
all?

Thanks!

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Dave Cramer

[...]

I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain this.

Dave

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 06:27, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
>> people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
>> the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
>> can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
>> all?
>
> I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain
> this.

That would be like a big change, still if that helps in keeping the
project more healthy than it is now, why not.  From what I can see,
this driver's development has been let aside.

Saito-san and Inoue-san have done a good job over the years spending
cycles on maintaining that.  The question is who could actually take
care of the basic maintenance of the driver?  I do have a little bit
of experience with the ODBC code base in the history of the project in
the 2015~2017 area with its core code and the regression tests as
VMware was relying heavily on it back these days.  So I could handle a
few of the compatibility changes to keep the thing able to build and
pass the tests, but my experience feels kind of limited.  Or it's just
that everybody has zero experience with it and I'm one with the most
experience :)

I was just quickly testing a build, and Debian does not offer
odbc_config that would be in unixodbc, but iodbc is able to build.
I recall that it was slightly easier to work on this stuff with
homebrew under MacOS, actually..
--
Michael

Вложения

www.postgres.rocks

On Sun, 3 Sept 2023 at 19:44, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 06:27, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
>> people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
>> the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
>> can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
>> all?
>
> I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain
> this.

That would be like a big change, still if that helps in keeping the
project more healthy than it is now, why not.  From what I can see,
this driver's development has been let aside.

This really isn't a big change. At least I don't see it that way. It makes it much easier to create pull requests which are significantly easier to manage than patch files.

Saito-san and Inoue-san have done a good job over the years spending
cycles on maintaining that.  The question is who could actually take
care of the basic maintenance of the driver?  I do have a little bit
of experience with the ODBC code base in the history of the project in
the 2015~2017 area with its core code and the regression tests as
VMware was relying heavily on it back these days.  So I could handle a
few of the compatibility changes to keep the thing able to build and
pass the tests, but my experience feels kind of limited.  Or it's just
that everybody has zero experience with it and I'm one with the most
experience :)

I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing to pitch in.

Dave

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Dave Cramer

On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 11:19:54AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sept 2023 at 06:27, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> Do you have a timeline for these? I can see that there are several
>> people in the mailing list (not me) to step up the plate and help fix
>> the issues. Would you consider moving project to Github, so that people
>> can send PR and you can merge them, if you don't have time to fix them
>> all?
>
> I'd certainly be a proponent of moving to github and helping out maintain
> this.

That would be like a big change, still if that helps in keeping the
project more healthy than it is now, why not.  From what I can see,
this driver's development has been let aside.

This really isn't a big change. At least I don't see it that way. It makes it much easier to create pull requests which are significantly easier to manage than patch files.

Saito-san and Inoue-san have done a good job over the years spending
cycles on maintaining that.  The question is who could actually take
care of the basic maintenance of the driver?  I do have a little bit
of experience with the ODBC code base in the history of the project in
the 2015~2017 area with its core code and the regression tests as
VMware was relying heavily on it back these days.  So I could handle a
few of the compatibility changes to keep the thing able to build and
pass the tests, but my experience feels kind of limited.  Or it's just
that everybody has zero experience with it and I'm one with the most
experience :)

I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing to pitch in.

Dave

To be clear, I am offering to help in any way. However, only with the agreement of Saito-san and Inoue-san.

Dave

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 07:13:07AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to
> speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is
> more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing
> to pitch in.

Okay.  I was just checking things, and I don't have a commit bit on
this community repo.  TBH, I am not sure that there is a strong need
to move to github at this stage as long as we are able to get the
situation with the repository stabilized.
--
Michael

Вложения

On Mon, 4 Sept 2023 at 23:22, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 07:13:07AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I had some experience looking at it, but would take some time to get up to
> speed on this. Something I am willing to do. I'm sort of hoping this is
> more of a maintenance thing than active development. I'm certainly willing
> to pitch in.

Okay.  I was just checking things, and I don't have a commit bit on
this community repo.  TBH, I am not sure that there is a strong need
to move to github at this stage as long as we are able to get the
situation with the repository stabilized.

There isn't a *strong* need to do this, but what you get with github is CI and a much simpler way to document.

I agree fixing the current problem is paramount.

Dave
--
Michael

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
SAITO Hiroshi

Hi all.

Sorry for the late reaction.

As for Inoue-san and Me, need a lot of time to responce to one email.

I now was able to see it, only say.....

Sorry, please wait for the next response.

Regards,

SAITO Hiroshi.

[...]

Joe Conway
Дата:
On 9/5/23 08:46, SAITO Hiroshi wrote:
> Sorry for the late reaction.
> As for Inoue-san and Me, need a lot of time to responce to one email.
> I now was able to see it, only say.....
> Sorry, please wait for the next response.
>
> Regards,
>
> SAITO Hiroshi.

Hello Saito-san and Inoue-san,

We are running out of time until the Postgres v16 release -- it is
currently scheduled for next week on 14 September.

Two people, Dave Cramer and Michael Paquier, have offered to help if you
will allow them to have commit access to the repository.

Please let us know your response as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 06, 2023 at 12:10:19PM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
> We are running out of time until the Postgres v16 release -- it is currently
> scheduled for next week on 14 September.
>
> Two people, Dave Cramer and Michael Paquier, have offered to help if you
> will allow them to have commit access to the repository.

Confirmed.  I am not sure if I could help with integration of
complicated features, but I'm OK with stabilizing the whole and making
sure that the regression tests are able to run where they should,
perhaps except Windows.  In my experience with this code from a few
years back, the portability of changes matters less than the
stability of the code between the ODBC layer and the internal
SAVEPOINT-heavy logic.  Even more now that this stuff requires libpq
and does not speak directly the Postgres protocol.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
"Inoue,Hiroshi"
Дата:
Hi
Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I have little time to spare for psqlodbc. I have been busy with stroke rehabilitation and turned 70 years three days ago. I'll probably have to retire.
However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a new release.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
2023年9月7日(木) 1:10 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>:
On 9/5/23 08:46, SAITO Hiroshi wrote:
> Sorry for the late reaction.
> As for Inoue-san and Me, need a lot of time to responce to one email.
> I now was able to see it, only say.....
> Sorry, please wait for the next response.
>
> Regards,
>
> SAITO Hiroshi.

Hello Saito-san and Inoue-san,

We are running out of time until the Postgres v16 release -- it is
currently scheduled for next week on 14 September.

Two people, Dave Cramer and Michael Paquier, have offered to help if you
will allow them to have commit access to the repository.

Please let us know your response as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Inoue-san,

On Thu, 2023-09-07 at 14:28 +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> I have been busy with stroke rehabilitation and turned 70 years three
> days ago.

:-( Very sorry to hear that.

> I'll probably have to retire.

:(

> However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a
> new release.

Releasing a new version requires not only commit bits, also requires
access to our infra (am I right, Joe?) I'm not sure other people can
make it happen before v16 release. So yes, we at least need to release a
new version ASAP soon for v16 compatibility (patches are already out).

After the release, we can talk about the future roadmap.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hello Inoue-san,

Unfortunately I have little time to spare for psqlodbc. I have been busy with stroke rehabilitation
Very sorry to hear this.

and turned 70 years three days ago. I'll probably have to retire.
However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a new release.

Let me know how I can help.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
2023年9月7日(木) 1:10 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>:
On 9/5/23 08:46, SAITO Hiroshi wrote:
> Sorry for the late reaction.
> As for Inoue-san and Me, need a lot of time to responce to one email.
> I now was able to see it, only say.....
> Sorry, please wait for the next response.
>
> Regards,
>
> SAITO Hiroshi.

Hello Saito-san and Inoue-san,

We are running out of time until the Postgres v16 release -- it is
currently scheduled for next week on 14 September.

Two people, Dave Cramer and Michael Paquier, have offered to help if you
will allow them to have commit access to the repository.
Confirmed that I am willing to help here.

Regards,
Dave

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 9/7/23 01:28, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Unfortunately I have little time to spare for psqlodbc. I have been busy
> with stroke rehabilitation and turned 70 years three days ago. I'll
> probably have to retire.

I am so very sorry to hear about your health problems. Please take care
of yourself.

> However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a
> new release.

Thank you. Please let us know how we can help carry on your important
PostgreSQL work.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
"Inoue,Hiroshi"
Дата:
Hi,

I've pushed changes about standard bool to git.
Are there any other urgent changes?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

2023年9月7日(木) 19:40 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>:
On 9/7/23 01:28, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Unfortunately I have little time to spare for psqlodbc. I have been busy
> with stroke rehabilitation and turned 70 years three days ago. I'll
> probably have to retire.

I am so very sorry to hear about your health problems. Please take care
of yourself.

> However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a
> new release.

Thank you. Please let us know how we can help carry on your important
PostgreSQL work.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 03:50:08PM +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> I've pushed changes about standard bool to git.
> Are there any other urgent changes?

This one was the most urgent one to allow the driver to compile.  I
think that there are other issues with the regression tests as well
where I was able to cause them to fail.

> 2023年9月7日(木) 19:40 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>:
>> I am so very sorry to hear about your health problems. Please take care
>> of yourself.

Health first, please take care.

>>> However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a
>>> new release.
>>
>> Thank you. Please let us know how we can help carry on your important
>> PostgreSQL work.

At this stage, Inoue-san and Saito-san, would you be OK if more people
gain access as committers to the ODBC repository to help with its
maintenance?

You are the ones with the most history working on this driver, so I
guess that it comes to both of you to decide if you are OK with more
people pushing code there and share the maintenance workload.  This
includes psqlodbc-www as well, of course, to maintain the website and
push new releases.

I am based in Tokyo for a few years now, but I am not sure that we
have met in person, to be honest (I speak Japanese fluently)..
Perhaps we have met at one of the JPUG conferences in the past?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Inoue-san,

On Fri, 2023-09-08 at 15:50 +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> I've pushed changes about standard bool to git.
> Are there any other urgent changes?

Thank you very much! As the RPM packager, I will need a new release so
that I can push ODBC driver to PostgreSQL 16 repos.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hi Inoue-san

Please take care of yourself and let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Regards,
Dave Cramer

On Fri, 8 Sept 2023 at 05:45, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
Hi Inoue-san,

On Fri, 2023-09-08 at 15:50 +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> I've pushed changes about standard bool to git.
> Are there any other urgent changes?

Thank you very much! As the RPM packager, I will need a new release so
that I can push ODBC driver to PostgreSQL 16 repos.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
"Inoue,Hiroshi"
Дата:
Hi Michael,

2023年9月8日(金) 15:59 Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 03:50:08PM +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> I've pushed changes about standard bool to git.
> Are there any other urgent changes?

This one was the most urgent one to allow the driver to compile.  I
think that there are other issues with the regression tests as well
where I was able to cause them to fail.

> 2023年9月7日(木) 19:40 Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>:
>> I am so very sorry to hear about your health problems. Please take care
>> of yourself.

Health first, please take care.

>>> However, if an emergency release is necessary, we can probably make a
>>> new release.
>>
>> Thank you. Please let us know how we can help carry on your important
>> PostgreSQL work.

At this stage, Inoue-san and Saito-san, would you be OK if more people
gain access as committers to the ODBC repository to help with its
maintenance?

You are the ones with the most history working on this driver, so I
guess that it comes to both of you to decide if you are OK with more
people pushing code there and share the maintenance workload.  This
includes psqlodbc-www as well, of course, to maintain the website and
push new releases.

We are OK. It's impossible for us to continue development on our own.

I am based in Tokyo for a few years now, but I am not sure that we
have met in person, to be honest (I speak Japanese fluently)..
Perhaps we have met at one of the JPUG conferences in the past?

Yes, we have met once at a JPUG conference.
I haven't been to Tokyo in a long time because of my illness.
But I may be able to go to Tokyo this month and meet Saito-san.

--
Michael

Re: ODBC driver maintenance: PostgreSQL 16 support and other open items

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 09:09:10PM +0900, Inoue,Hiroshi wrote:
> But I may be able to go to Tokyo this month and meet Saito-san.

There's also a JPUG conference planned in November in Tokyo, if you
are interested:
https://www.postgresql.jp/jpug-pgcon2023

It should be relatively easy to find me there.
--
Michael

Вложения