Обсуждение: Format list of catalog files in makefile vertically

Format list of catalog files in makefile vertically

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I propose to reformat the catalog lists in src/backend/catalog/Makefile
to be more vertical, one per line.  This makes it easier to keep that
list in sync with src/include/catalog/meson.build, and visually compare
both lists.  Also, it's easier to read and edit in general.

In passing, I'd also copy over some relevant comments from the makefile
to meson.build.  For the hypothetical future when we delete the
makefiles, these comments seem worth keeping.  (For fun, I tested
whether the comments are still true, and yes, the order still matters.)
Вложения

Re: Format list of catalog files in makefile vertically

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On August 25, 2023 9:12:51 AM EDT, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>I propose to reformat the catalog lists in src/backend/catalog/Makefile to be more vertical, one per line.  This makes
iteasier to keep that list in sync with src/include/catalog/meson.build, and visually compare both lists.  Also, it's
easierto read and edit in general.

>In passing, I'd also copy over some relevant comments from the makefile to meson.build.  For the hypothetical future
whenwe delete the makefiles, these comments seem worth keeping.  (For fun, I tested whether the comments are still
true,and yes, the order still matters.)

Makes sense to me.

Andres

Re: Format list of catalog files in makefile vertically

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Aug-25, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I propose to reformat the catalog lists in src/backend/catalog/Makefile to
> be more vertical, one per line.  This makes it easier to keep that list in
> sync with src/include/catalog/meson.build, and visually compare both lists.
> Also, it's easier to read and edit in general.

+1

> In passing, I'd also copy over some relevant comments from the makefile to
> meson.build.  For the hypothetical future when we delete the makefiles,
> these comments seem worth keeping.  (For fun, I tested whether the comments
> are still true, and yes, the order still matters.)

Sure.

"La experiencia nos dice que el hombre peló millones de veces las patatas,
pero era forzoso admitir la posibilidad de que en un caso entre millones,
las patatas pelarían al hombre" (Ijon Tichy)