Обсуждение: list of acknowledgments for PG16

list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been
committed.  It should show up here sometime:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.
  As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate
names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our
convention is given name followed by surname.)

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Aug-22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been committed.
> It should show up here sometime: <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.
> As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names
> in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our convention is
> given name followed by surname.)

Hmm, I think these docs would only regenerate during the RC1 release, so
it'll be a couple of weeks, unless we manually poke the doc builder.

"Here's a general engineering tip: if the non-fun part is too complex for you
to figure out, that might indicate the fun part is too ambitious." (John Naylor)
https://postgr.es/m/CAFBsxsG4OWHBbSDM%3DsSeXrQGOtkPiOEOuME4yD7Ce41NtaAD9g%40mail.gmail.com

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 8/22/23 11:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the
wrongorder etc.  (Our convention is given name followed by surname.)

Not necessarily for this time around, but I would like to see this
convention be a bit more inclusive of other cultures.  My proposed
solution is to list them the same way we do now, but also have in
parentheses or something their name in their native order and script.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Aug-22, Vik Fearing wrote:

> On 8/22/23 11:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate
> > names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our
> > convention is given name followed by surname.)
>
> Not necessarily for this time around, but I would like to see this
> convention be a bit more inclusive of other cultures.  My proposed solution
> is to list them the same way we do now, but also have in parentheses or
> something their name in their native order and script.

Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.

"Pido que me den el Nobel por razones humanitarias" (Nicanor Parra)

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

Дата:
> Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
> problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
> non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
> tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
> it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
> names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.

I'm pretty sure the PDF toolchain still fails on non-Latin1 characters.
At least it does the way I have it installed; maybe adding some
non-default dependencies would help?

            regards, tom lane

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 8/22/23 15:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
>> problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
>> non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
>> tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
>> it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
>> names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.
>
> I'm pretty sure the PDF toolchain still fails on non-Latin1 characters.
> At least it does the way I have it installed; maybe adding some
> non-default dependencies would help?

I am struggling to find documentation on how to build the pdfs with
meson.  Any pointers?
--
Vik Fearing

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

Дата:
> On 2023-Aug-22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been committed.
>> It should show up here sometime: <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.

> Hmm, I think these docs would only regenerate during the RC1 release, so
> it'll be a couple of weeks, unless we manually poke the doc builder.

Yeah.  I could produce a new set of tarballs from the v16 branch tip,
but I don't know the process (nor have the admin permissions) to
extract the HTML docs and put them on the website.

            regards, tom lane

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 8/22/23 11:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been
> committed.  It should show up here sometime:
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.  As usual, please check for
problemssuch as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our convention
isgiven name followed by surname.)

I think these might be the same person:

     <member>Zhihong Yu</member>
     <member>Zihong Yu</member>

I did not spot any others.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 8/22/23 09:44, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2023-Aug-22, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been committed.
>>> It should show up here sometime: <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.
>
>> Hmm, I think these docs would only regenerate during the RC1 release, so
>> it'll be a couple of weeks, unless we manually poke the doc builder.
>
> Yeah.  I could produce a new set of tarballs from the v16 branch tip,
> but I don't know the process (nor have the admin permissions) to
> extract the HTML docs and put them on the website.

These days the docs update is part of a scripted process for doing an
entire release.

I'm sure we could figure out how to just release the updated docs, but
with RC1 a week away, is it really worthwhile?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 22.08.23 15:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
>> problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
>> non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
>> tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
>> it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
>> names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.
>
> I'm pretty sure the PDF toolchain still fails on non-Latin1 characters.
> At least it does the way I have it installed; maybe adding some
> non-default dependencies would help?

See here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f58a0973-6e06-65de-8fb8-b3b93518bc6e@2ndquadrant.com

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

Дата:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 10:03:29AM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 8/22/23 09:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.

> > > Hmm, I think these docs would only regenerate during the RC1 release, so
> > > it'll be a couple of weeks, unless we manually poke the doc builder.
> >
> > Yeah.  I could produce a new set of tarballs from the v16 branch tip,
> > but I don't know the process (nor have the admin permissions) to
> > extract the HTML docs and put them on the website.
>

> These days the docs update is part of a scripted process for doing an entire
> release.
>
> I'm sure we could figure out how to just release the updated docs, but with
> RC1 a week away, is it really worthwhile?

You can see the list in my automated build:

    https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Denis Laxalde
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been
> committed.  It should show up here sometime:
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.
>    As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate
> names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our
> convention is given name followed by surname.)

"Gabriele Varrazzo" is mentioned in commit
0032a5456708811ca95bd80a538f4fb72ad0dd20 but it should be "Daniele
Varrazzo" (per Discussion link in commit message); the later is already
in the list.
Вложения

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
>   As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate
> names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our
> convention is given name followed by surname.)

I went through Japanese names on the list.  I think they are all in
the right order (ie, the given-name-followed-by-surname order).

Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
jian he
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 9:41 PM Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:

> I am struggling to find documentation on how to build the pdfs with
> meson.  Any pointers?
> --
> Vik Fearing

ninja docs:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Meson#Meson_documentation

ninja alldocs. which take some time, build all kinds of formats, some may fail.

there is another tricky usage:
type "ninja doc" then press Tab for complete twice, you will get all
the available options like following:
docs                                    doc/src/sgml/man3
doc/src/sgml/errcodes-table.sgml        doc/src/sgml/man7
doc/src/sgml/features-supported.sgml    doc/src/sgml/postgres-A4.fo
doc/src/sgml/features-unsupported.sgml  doc/src/sgml/postgres-A4.pdf
doc/src/sgml/html                       doc/src/sgml/postgres.epub
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL                    doc/src/sgml/postgres-full.xml
doc/src/sgml/install-html               doc/src/sgml/postgres.html
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL.html               doc/src/sgml/postgres.txt
doc/src/sgml/install-man                doc/src/sgml/postgres-US.fo
doc/src/sgml/INSTALL.xml                doc/src/sgml/postgres-US.pdf
doc/src/sgml/keywords-table.sgml        doc/src/sgml/wait_event_types.sgml
doc/src/sgml/man1

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 4:03 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 8/22/23 09:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.

> >> Hmm, I think these docs would only regenerate during the RC1 release, so
> >> it'll be a couple of weeks, unless we manually poke the doc builder.
> >
> > Yeah.  I could produce a new set of tarballs from the v16 branch tip,
> > but I don't know the process (nor have the admin permissions) to
> > extract the HTML docs and put them on the website.
>

> These days the docs update is part of a scripted process for doing an
> entire release.
>
> I'm sure we could figure out how to just release the updated docs, but
> with RC1 a week away, is it really worthwhile?

We've also been pretty strict to say that we don't *want* unreleased
docs on the website for any of our stable branches before, so changing
that would be a distinct policy change as well. And doing such an
exception for just one commit seems like it's set up for problems --
you'd then have to do another one as soon as an adjustment is made.
And in the end, that would mean changing the policy to say that the
"release branches documentation tracks branch tip instead of
releases". Which I generally speaking don't think is a good idea,
because then they don't match what people are running anymore. I think
it only really makes sense for this one part of the docs -- even other
changes to the REL16 docs should be excluded until the next release is
(this time, RC1).

Bottom line is, definite -1 for doing a one-off change that violates
the principle we're on.

Now, if we want a *separate* location where we continuously load
branch tip docs that's a different thing and certainly something we
could consider.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 25 Aug 2023, at 14:22, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 4:03 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

>> I'm sure we could figure out how to just release the updated docs, but
>> with RC1 a week away, is it really worthwhile?
>
> We've also been pretty strict to say that we don't *want* unreleased
> docs on the website for any of our stable branches before, so changing
> that would be a distinct policy change as well. And doing such an
> exception for just one commit seems like it's set up for problems --
> you'd then have to do another one as soon as an adjustment is made.
> And in the end, that would mean changing the policy to say that the
> "release branches documentation tracks branch tip instead of
> releases". Which I generally speaking don't think is a good idea,
> because then they don't match what people are running anymore. I think
> it only really makes sense for this one part of the docs -- even other
> changes to the REL16 docs should be excluded until the next release is
> (this time, RC1).
>
> Bottom line is, definite -1 for doing a one-off change that violates
> the principle we're on.

Based on your reasoning above, I agree.

> Now, if we want a *separate* location where we continuously load
> branch tip docs that's a different thing and certainly something we
> could consider.

That could be useful, seeing changes rendered with the full website style is a
good way to ensure a doc patch didn't break something subtle.  As long as keep
them from being indexed by search engines and clearly separated from /docs/ it
should be fine.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 22.08.23 15:48, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 8/22/23 11:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been
>> committed.  It should show up here sometime:
>> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.  As usual, please check for
problemssuch as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our convention
isgiven name followed by surname.)

> I think these might be the same person:
>
>      <member>Zhihong Yu</member>
>      <member>Zihong Yu</member>
>
> I did not spot any others.

Fixed.

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 23.08.23 09:13, Denis Laxalde wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
>> The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been
>> committed.  It should show up here sometime:
>> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.
>>    As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate
>> names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our
>> convention is given name followed by surname.)
>>

> "Gabriele Varrazzo" is mentioned in commit
> 0032a5456708811ca95bd80a538f4fb72ad0dd20 but it should be "Daniele
> Varrazzo" (per Discussion link in commit message); the later is already
> in the list.

Fixed.

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Pavel Borisov
Дата:
I'm not completely sure what should be in this list, but maybe also
tuplesort extensibility [1]? [1]

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CALT9ZEHjgO_r2cFr35%3Du9xZa6Ji2e7oVfSEBRBj0Gc%2BtJjTxSg%40mail.gmail.com#201dc4202af38f224a1e3acc78795199

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 8/22/23 16:24, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 22.08.23 15:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
>>> Yeah, I've been proposing this kind of thing for many years; the
>>> problem, until not long ago, was that the tooling was unable to process
>>> non-Latin1 characters in all the output formats that we use.  But
>>> tooling has changed and the oldest platforms have disappeared, so maybe
>>> it works now; do you want to inject some Chinese, Cyrillic, Japanese
>>> names and give it a spin?  At least HTML and PDF need to work correctly.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the PDF toolchain still fails on non-Latin1 characters.
>> At least it does the way I have it installed; maybe adding some
>> non-default dependencies would help?
>
> See here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f58a0973-6e06-65de-8fb8-b3b93518bc6e@2ndquadrant.com

I applied that patch, and it works for Cyrillic text, but not for
Japanese.  I am trying to figure out how to make it use a secondary
font, but that might take me a while.
--
Vik Fearing

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Aug-27, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 22.08.23 15:48, Vik Fearing wrote:

> > I think these might be the same person:
> >
> >      <member>Zhihong Yu</member>
> >      <member>Zihong Yu</member>
> >
> > I did not spot any others.
>
> Fixed.

Hm, I noticed we also list Ted Yu, but that's the same person as Zhihong Yu.

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 16.10.23 15:46, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2023-Aug-27, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> On 22.08.23 15:48, Vik Fearing wrote:
>
>>> I think these might be the same person:
>>>
>>>       <member>Zhihong Yu</member>
>>>       <member>Zihong Yu</member>
>>>
>>> I did not spot any others.
>>
>> Fixed.
>
> Hm, I noticed we also list Ted Yu, but that's the same person as Zhihong Yu.

fixed

Re: list of acknowledgments for PG16

От
Zhang Mingli
Дата:
Hi,

On Aug 22, 2023, at 17:33, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

The list of acknowledgments for the PG16 release notes has been committed.  It should show up here sometime: <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/release-16.html#RELEASE-16-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS>.  As usual, please check for problems such as wrong sorting, duplicate names in different variants, or names in the wrong order etc.  (Our convention is given name followed by surname.)

Could you help me with Mingli Zhang ->  Zhang Mingli

Thanks.

Zhang Mingli
HashData https://www.hashdata.xyz