Обсуждение: dubious warning: FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

dubious warning: FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
This warning comes from parse_expr.c transformJsonValueExpr() and is
triggered for example by the following test case:

SELECT JSON_OBJECT('foo': NULL::json FORMAT JSON);
WARNING:  FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

But I don't see anything in the SQL standard that would require this
warning.  It seems pretty clear that FORMAT JSON in this case is
implicit and otherwise without effect.

Also, we don't have that warning in the output case (RETURNING json
FORMAT JSON).

Anyone remember why this is here?  Should we remove it?

Re: dubious warning: FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
This warning comes from parse_expr.c transformJsonValueExpr() and is
triggered for example by the following test case:

SELECT JSON_OBJECT('foo': NULL::json FORMAT JSON);
WARNING:  FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

But I don't see anything in the SQL standard that would require this
warning.  It seems pretty clear that FORMAT JSON in this case is
implicit and otherwise without effect.

Also, we don't have that warning in the output case (RETURNING json
FORMAT JSON).

Anyone remember why this is here?  Should we remove it?

+1 for removing, on the basis that it is not suprising, and would pollute logs for most configurations.

merlin

Re: dubious warning: FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 16.08.23 16:59, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 8:55 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org
> <mailto:peter@eisentraut.org>> wrote:
>
>     This warning comes from parse_expr.c transformJsonValueExpr() and is
>     triggered for example by the following test case:
>
>     SELECT JSON_OBJECT('foo': NULL::json FORMAT JSON);
>     WARNING:  FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types
>
>     But I don't see anything in the SQL standard that would require this
>     warning.  It seems pretty clear that FORMAT JSON in this case is
>     implicit and otherwise without effect.
>
>     Also, we don't have that warning in the output case (RETURNING json
>     FORMAT JSON).
>
>     Anyone remember why this is here?  Should we remove it?
>

> +1 for removing, on the basis that it is not suprising, and would
> pollute logs for most configurations.

done

Re: dubious warning: FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 2:59 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 16.08.23 16:59, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 8:55 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org
> > <mailto:peter@eisentraut.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     This warning comes from parse_expr.c transformJsonValueExpr() and is
> >     triggered for example by the following test case:
> >
> >     SELECT JSON_OBJECT('foo': NULL::json FORMAT JSON);
> >     WARNING:  FORMAT JSON has no effect for json and jsonb types
> >
> >     But I don't see anything in the SQL standard that would require this
> >     warning.  It seems pretty clear that FORMAT JSON in this case is
> >     implicit and otherwise without effect.
> >
> >     Also, we don't have that warning in the output case (RETURNING json
> >     FORMAT JSON).
> >
> >     Anyone remember why this is here?  Should we remove it?
> >

> > +1 for removing, on the basis that it is not suprising, and would
> > pollute logs for most configurations.
>
> done

+1 and thanks.  May have been there as a debugging aid if anything.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com