Обсуждение: Adding a pg_servername() function

Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Laetitia Avrot
Дата:
Dear Hackers,

One of my customers suggested creating a function that could return the server's hostname.

After a quick search, we found [this Wiki page](https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Pg_gethostname) referring to [that extension](https://github.com/theory/pg-hostname/) from David E. Wheeler.

I used shamelessly the idea and created a working proof of concept:

- the function takes no argument and returns the hostname or a null value if any error occurs
- the function was added to the network.c file because it makes sense to me to have that near the inet_server_addr() and inet_server_port() functions.
- I didn't add any test as the inet functions are not tested either.

If you think my design is good enough, I'll go ahead and port/test that function for Windows.

Have a nice day,

Lætitia
Вложения

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 at 10:37, Laetitia Avrot <laetitia.avrot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Hackers,
>
> One of my customers suggested creating a function that could return the server's hostname.

Mostly for my curiosity: What would be their use case?
I only see limited usability, considering that the local user's
hostname can be very different from the hostname used in the url that
connects to that PostgreSQL instance.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Le jeu. 3 août 2023, 11:31, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> a écrit :
On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 at 10:37, Laetitia Avrot <laetitia.avrot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Hackers,
>
> One of my customers suggested creating a function that could return the server's hostname.

Mostly for my curiosity: What would be their use case?

Thank you for showing interest in that patch.

For my customer,  their use case is to be able from an SQL client to double check they're on the right host before doing things that could become a production disaster.

I see also another use case: being able to identify postgres metrics on a monitoring tool. Look at the hack pg_staviz uses here:

Those are the  use cases I can think of.

I only see limited usability, considering that the local user's
hostname can be very different from the hostname used in the url that
connects to that PostgreSQL instance.

Agreed, depending on how hosts and dns are set,  it can be useless. But normally,  companies have host making standards to avoid that.

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
Neon (https://neon.tech)

066ce286@free.fr

> Agreed, depending on how hosts and dns are set, it can be useless.
> But normally, companies have host making standards to avoid that.

BTW you already have it :

select setting from pg_settings where name = 'listen_addresses'

No ?

Le jeu. 3 août 2023 à 14:20, <066ce286@free.fr> a écrit :

> Agreed, depending on how hosts and dns are set, it can be useless.
> But normally, companies have host making standards to avoid that.

BTW you already have it :

select setting from pg_settings where name = 'listen_addresses'

No ?

Hello,

No, this is not the same thing. Most of the time, we will find either the wildcard '*' or an Ip address or a list of IP addresses, which is not what we want in this particular use case. But I agree that there are some use cases where we will find the hostname there, but from my experience, that's not the majority of the use cases.

For example, you could use a VIP in listen_addresses, so that you ensure that distant connection will go through that VIP and you'll always end up on the right server even though it might be another physical instance (after switch or failover).

Lætitia

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Дата:
## Laetitia Avrot (laetitia.avrot@gmail.com):

> For my customer,  their use case is to be able from an SQL client to double
> check they're on the right host before doing things that could become a
> production disaster.

Why not use cluster_name for that? Even if it may not be relevant
for their setup, there might be multiple clusters on the same host
(multiple clusters with the same hostname) or you database could be
hiding behind some failover/loadbalancer mechanism (multiple hostnames
in one cluster), thus using the hostname to identify the cluster is
totally not universal (the same goes for the monitoring/metrics
stuff). And there's of course inet_server_addr(), if you really
need to double-check if you're connected to the right machine.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space.

Le jeu. 3 août 2023 à 15:17, Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net> a écrit :
## Laetitia Avrot (laetitia.avrot@gmail.com):

> For my customer,  their use case is to be able from an SQL client to double
> check they're on the right host before doing things that could become a
> production disaster.

Why not use cluster_name for that? Even if it may not be relevant
for their setup, there might be multiple clusters on the same host
(multiple clusters with the same hostname) or you database could be
hiding behind some failover/loadbalancer mechanism (multiple hostnames
in one cluster), thus using the hostname to identify the cluster is
totally not universal (the same goes for the monitoring/metrics
stuff). And there's of course inet_server_addr(), if you really
need to double-check if you're connected to the right machine.

Hello Christoph,

I understand your point and sure enough, my customer could set and use the cluster_name for that purpose. I totally disagree with using inet_server_addr() for that purpose as there are so many different network settings with VIPs and so on that it won't help. Also, a socket connection will give a NULL value, not that it's *that* bad because if it's a socket, you're running locally and could still use `\! ifconfig`, but it does not work on some configurations (docker for example). Also, most humans will find it easier to memorize a name than a number and that's one of the reasons why we remember websites' URLs instead of their IP.

I still disagree with the monitoring part. A good monitoring tool will have to reconcile data from the OS with data from the Postgres cluster. So that, we kind of need a way for the monitoring tool to know on which host this particular cluster is running and I think it's smarter to get this information from the Postgres cluster.

Of course, I do love the idea that Postgres is agnostic from where it's running, but I don't think this new function removes that.

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Дата:
Hi,

## Laetitia Avrot (laetitia.avrot@gmail.com):

> I understand your point and sure enough, my customer could set and use the
> cluster_name for that purpose. I totally disagree with using
> inet_server_addr() for that purpose as there are so many different network
> settings with VIPs and so on that it won't help.

That depends a bit on what the exact question is: "where did I connect
to" vs "where is the thing I conencted to running".

> Also, a socket connection
> will give a NULL value, not that it's *that* bad because if it's a socket,
> you're running locally and could still use `\! ifconfig`, but it does not
> work on some configurations (docker for example).

But with a local socket, you already know where you are.

> Also, most humans will
> find it easier to memorize a name than a number and that's one of the
> reasons why we remember websites' URLs instead of their IP.

That's why we have DNS, and it works both ways (especially when
working programatically).

> I still disagree with the monitoring part. A good monitoring tool will have
> to reconcile data from the OS with data from the Postgres cluster. So that,
> we kind of need a way for the monitoring tool to know on which host this
> particular cluster is running and I think it's smarter to get this
> information from the Postgres cluster.

But that's again at least two questions in here: "what is the
instance on this host doing" and "what is the primary/read standby/...
of service X doing", and depending on that ask the base host's
primary address or the service's address. Yes, that's easy to say
when you can define the whole environment, and many setups discover
this only later in the life cycle.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Laetitia Avrot
Дата:
Dear all,

First, thank you so much for your interest in this patch. I didn't think I would have so many answers.

I agree that the feature I'm suggesting could be done with a few tricks. I meant to simplify the life of the user by providing a simple new feature. (Also, I might have trust issues with DNS due to several past production disasters.)

My question is very simple: Do you oppose having this feature in Postgres?

In other words, should I stop working on this?

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 09.08.23 08:42, Laetitia Avrot wrote:
> I agree that the feature I'm suggesting could be done with a few tricks.
> I meant to simplify the life of the user by providing a simple new
> feature. (Also, I might have trust issues with DNS due to several past
> production disasters.)
>
> My question is very simple: Do you oppose having this feature in Postgres?

I think this is pretty harmless(*) and can be useful, so it seems
reasonable to pursue.

(*) But we should think about access control for this.  If you're in a
DBaaS environment, providers might not like that you can read out their
internal host names.  I'm not sure if there is an existing permission
role that this could be attached to or if we need a new one.

Re: Adding a pg_servername() function

От
GF
Дата:
Hi everybody,

On 09.08.23 08:42, Laetitia Avrot wrote:
> I agree that the feature I'm suggesting could be done with a few tricks.
> I meant to simplify the life of the user by providing a simple new
> feature. (Also, I might have trust issues with DNS due to several past
> production disasters.)

Just my contribution on why this function could be useful, since we had a use case that fits exactly this.
In the past I needed such a pg_servername() function because in a project I was engaged on they needed to distribute "requests" directed to a in-house management service running on network servers, and each one had a DB, so we went with pglogical to be used as a (transactional) messaging middleware. The requests were targeted to specific hostnames, thus on the replication downstream we wanted to filter with a before-insert trigger on the hostname.
At that point, we had to do some contortions to get the hostname the DB was running on, sometimes really nasty like: on linux servers we could go with a python function; but on windows ones (where there was no python available) we had to resort to a function that read the OS "hostname" command into a temporary table via the pg "copy", which is both tricky and inefficient.

So, from me +1 to Laetitia's proposal.