Обсуждение: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
Hi hackers,

BACKGROUND:

The logical replication has different worker "types" (e.g. apply
leader, apply parallel, tablesync).

They all use a common structure called LogicalRepWorker, but at times
it is necessary to know what "type" of worker a given LogicalRepWorker
represents.

Once, there were just apply workers and tablesync workers - these were
easily distinguished because only tablesync workers had a valid
'relid' field. Next, parallel-apply workers were introduced - these
are distinguishable from the apply leaders by the value of
'leader_pid' field.

PROBLEM:

IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
increasingly complicated.

SOLUTION:

AFAIK none of the complications is necessary anyway; the worker type
is already known at launch time, and it never changes during the life
of the process.

The attached Patch 0001 introduces a new enum 'type' field, which is
assigned during the launch.

~

This change not only simplifies the code, but it also permits other
code optimizations, because now we can switch on the worker enum type,
instead of using cascading if/else.  (see Patch 0002).

Thoughts?

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Вложения

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> PROBLEM:
>
> IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
> values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
> when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
> increasingly complicated.

+1 for being more explicit in worker types. I also think that we must
move away from am_{parallel_apply, tablesync,
leader_apply}_worker(void) to Is{ParallelApply, TableSync,
LeaderApply}Worker(MyLogicalRepWorker), just to be a little more
consistent and less confusion around different logical replication
worker type related functions.

> AFAIK none of the complications is necessary anyway; the worker type
> is already known at launch time, and it never changes during the life
> of the process.
>
> The attached Patch 0001 introduces a new enum 'type' field, which is
> assigned during the launch.
>
> This change not only simplifies the code, but it also permits other
> code optimizations, because now we can switch on the worker enum type,
> instead of using cascading if/else.  (see Patch 0002).

Some comments:
1.
+/* Different kinds of workers */
+typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
+{
+    LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC,
+    LR_WORKER_APPLY,
+    LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL
+} LogicalRepWorkerType;

Can these names be readable? How about something like
LR_TABLESYNC_WORKER, LR_APPLY_WORKER, LR_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER?

2.
-#define isParallelApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->leader_pid != InvalidPid)
+#define isLeaderApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->type == LR_WORKER_APPLY)
+#define isParallelApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->type ==
LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL)
+#define isTablesyncWorker(worker) ((worker)->type == LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC)

Can the above start with "Is" instead of "is" similar to
IsLogicalWorker and IsLogicalParallelApplyWorker?

3.
+    worker->type =
+        OidIsValid(relid) ? LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC :
+        is_parallel_apply_worker ? LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL :
+        LR_WORKER_APPLY;

Perhaps, an if-else is better for readability?

if (OidIsValid(relid))
    worker->type = LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC;
else if (is_parallel_apply_worker)
    worker->type = LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL;
else
   worker->type = LR_WORKER_APPLY;

4.
+/* Different kinds of workers */
+typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
+{
+    LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC,
+    LR_WORKER_APPLY,
+    LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL
+} LogicalRepWorkerType;

Have a LR_WORKER_UNKNOWN = 0 and set it in logicalrep_worker_cleanup()?

5.
+        case LR_WORKER_APPLY:
+            return (rel->state == SUBREL_STATE_READY ||
+                    (rel->state == SUBREL_STATE_SYNCDONE &&
+                     rel->statelsn <= remote_final_lsn));

Not necessary, but a good idea to have a default: clause and error out
saying wrong logical replication worker type?

6.
+        case LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL:
+            /*
+             * Skip for parallel apply workers because they only
operate on tables
+             * that are in a READY state. See pa_can_start() and
+             * should_apply_changes_for_rel().
+             */
+            break;

I'd better keep this if-else as-is instead of a switch case with
nothing for parallel apply worker.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 3:25 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > PROBLEM:
> >
> > IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
> > values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
> > when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
> > increasingly complicated.
>
> +1 for being more explicit in worker types.

+1. BTW, do we need the below functions (am_tablesync_worker(),
am_leader_apply_worker()) after this work?
static inline bool
 am_tablesync_worker(void)
 {
- return OidIsValid(MyLogicalRepWorker->relid);
+ return isTablesyncWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker);
 }

 static inline bool
 am_leader_apply_worker(void)
 {
- return (!am_tablesync_worker() &&
- !isParallelApplyWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker));
+ return isLeaderApplyWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker);
 }

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
Thanks for your detailed code review.

Most comments are addressed in the attached v2 patches. Details inline below:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 7:55 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > PROBLEM:
> >
> > IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
> > values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
> > when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
> > increasingly complicated.
>
> +1 for being more explicit in worker types. I also think that we must
> move away from am_{parallel_apply, tablesync,
> leader_apply}_worker(void) to Is{ParallelApply, TableSync,
> LeaderApply}Worker(MyLogicalRepWorker), just to be a little more
> consistent and less confusion around different logical replication
> worker type related functions.

Done. I converged everything to the macro-naming style as suggested,
but I chose not to pass MyLogicalRepWorker as a parameter for the
normal (am_xxx case) otherwise I felt it would make the calling code
unnecessarily verbose.

> Some comments:
> 1.
> +/* Different kinds of workers */
> +typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
> +{
> +    LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC,
> +    LR_WORKER_APPLY,
> +    LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL
> +} LogicalRepWorkerType;
>
> Can these names be readable? How about something like
> LR_TABLESYNC_WORKER, LR_APPLY_WORKER, LR_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER?

Done. Renamed similar to your suggestion.

> 2.
> -#define isParallelApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->leader_pid != InvalidPid)
> +#define isLeaderApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->type == LR_WORKER_APPLY)
> +#define isParallelApplyWorker(worker) ((worker)->type ==
> LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL)
> +#define isTablesyncWorker(worker) ((worker)->type == LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC)
>
> Can the above start with "Is" instead of "is" similar to
> IsLogicalWorker and IsLogicalParallelApplyWorker?

Done as suggested.

> 3.
> +    worker->type =
> +        OidIsValid(relid) ? LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC :
> +        is_parallel_apply_worker ? LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL :
> +        LR_WORKER_APPLY;
>
> Perhaps, an if-else is better for readability?
>
> if (OidIsValid(relid))
>     worker->type = LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC;
> else if (is_parallel_apply_worker)
>     worker->type = LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL;
> else
>    worker->type = LR_WORKER_APPLY;

Done as suggested.

> 4.
> +/* Different kinds of workers */
> +typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
> +{
> +    LR_WORKER_TABLESYNC,
> +    LR_WORKER_APPLY,
> +    LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL
> +} LogicalRepWorkerType;
>
> Have a LR_WORKER_UNKNOWN = 0 and set it in logicalrep_worker_cleanup()?

Done as suggested.

> 5.
> +        case LR_WORKER_APPLY:
> +            return (rel->state == SUBREL_STATE_READY ||
> +                    (rel->state == SUBREL_STATE_SYNCDONE &&
> +                     rel->statelsn <= remote_final_lsn));
>
> Not necessary, but a good idea to have a default: clause and error out
> saying wrong logical replication worker type?

Not done. Switching on the enum gives a compiler warning if the case
is not handled. All enums are handled.

> 6.
> +        case LR_WORKER_APPLY_PARALLEL:
> +            /*
> +             * Skip for parallel apply workers because they only
> operate on tables
> +             * that are in a READY state. See pa_can_start() and
> +             * should_apply_changes_for_rel().
> +             */
> +            break;
>
> I'd better keep this if-else as-is instead of a switch case with
> nothing for parallel apply worker.

Not done. IIUC using a switch, the compiler can optimize the code to a
single "jump" thereby saving the extra type-check the HEAD code is
doing. Admittedly, it’s only a nanosecond saving, so it is no problem
to revert this change, but why waste any CPU time unless there is a
reason to?

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Вложения

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 11:11 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. BTW, do we need the below functions (am_tablesync_worker(),
> am_leader_apply_worker()) after this work?
> static inline bool
>  am_tablesync_worker(void)
>  {
> - return OidIsValid(MyLogicalRepWorker->relid);
> + return isTablesyncWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker);
>  }
>
>  static inline bool
>  am_leader_apply_worker(void)
>  {
> - return (!am_tablesync_worker() &&
> - !isParallelApplyWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker));
> + return isLeaderApplyWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker);
>  }

The am_xxx functions are removed now in the v2-0001 patch. See [1].

The replacement set of macros (the ones with no arg) are not strictly
necessary, except I felt it would make the code unnecessarily verbose
if we insist to pass MyLogicalRepWorker everywhere from the callers in
worker.c / tablesync.c / applyparallelworker.c.

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 8:10 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> The am_xxx functions are removed now in the v2-0001 patch. See [1].
>
> The replacement set of macros (the ones with no arg) are not strictly
> necessary, except I felt it would make the code unnecessarily verbose
> if we insist to pass MyLogicalRepWorker everywhere from the callers in
> worker.c / tablesync.c / applyparallelworker.c.

Agreed but having a dual set of macros is also not clean. Can we
provide only a unique set of inline functions instead?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> BACKGROUND:
>
> The logical replication has different worker "types" (e.g. apply
> leader, apply parallel, tablesync).
>
> They all use a common structure called LogicalRepWorker, but at times
> it is necessary to know what "type" of worker a given LogicalRepWorker
> represents.
>
> Once, there were just apply workers and tablesync workers - these were
> easily distinguished because only tablesync workers had a valid
> 'relid' field. Next, parallel-apply workers were introduced - these
> are distinguishable from the apply leaders by the value of
> 'leader_pid' field.
>

> PROBLEM:
>
> IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
> values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
> when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
> increasingly complicated.
>
> SOLUTION:
>
> AFAIK none of the complications is necessary anyway; the worker type
> is already known at launch time, and it never changes during the life
> of the process.
>
> The attached Patch 0001 introduces a new enum 'type' field, which is
> assigned during the launch.
>
> ~
>
> This change not only simplifies the code, but it also permits other
> code optimizations, because now we can switch on the worker enum type,
> instead of using cascading if/else.  (see Patch 0002).
>
> Thoughts?

I can see the problem you stated and it's true that the worker's type
never changes during its lifetime. But I'm not sure we really need to
add a new variable to LogicalRepWorker since we already have enough
information there to distinguish the worker's type.

Currently, we deduce the worker's type by checking some fields that
never change such as relid and leader_piid. It's fine to me as long as
we encapcel the deduction of worker's type by macros (or inline
functions). Even with the proposed patch (0001 patch), we still need a
similar logic to determine the worker's type.

If we want to change both process_syncing_tables() and
should_apply_changes_for_rel() to use the switch statement instead of
using cascading if/else, I think we can have a function, say
LogicalRepWorkerType(), that returns LogicalRepWorkerType of the given
worker.

Masahiko Sawada

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 3:35 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi hackers,
> >
> > BACKGROUND:
> >
> > The logical replication has different worker "types" (e.g. apply
> > leader, apply parallel, tablesync).
> >
> > They all use a common structure called LogicalRepWorker, but at times
> > it is necessary to know what "type" of worker a given LogicalRepWorker
> > represents.
> >
> > Once, there were just apply workers and tablesync workers - these were
> > easily distinguished because only tablesync workers had a valid
> > 'relid' field. Next, parallel-apply workers were introduced - these
> > are distinguishable from the apply leaders by the value of
> > 'leader_pid' field.
> >

> > PROBLEM:
> >
> > IMO, deducing the worker's type by examining multiple different field
> > values seems a dubious way to do it. This maybe was reasonable enough
> > when there were only 2 types, but as more get added it becomes
> > increasingly complicated.
> >
> > SOLUTION:
> >
> > AFAIK none of the complications is necessary anyway; the worker type
> > is already known at launch time, and it never changes during the life
> > of the process.
> >
> > The attached Patch 0001 introduces a new enum 'type' field, which is
> > assigned during the launch.
> >
> > ~
> >
> > This change not only simplifies the code, but it also permits other
> > code optimizations, because now we can switch on the worker enum type,
> > instead of using cascading if/else.  (see Patch 0002).
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I can see the problem you stated and it's true that the worker's type
> never changes during its lifetime. But I'm not sure we really need to
> add a new variable to LogicalRepWorker since we already have enough
> information there to distinguish the worker's type.
>
> Currently, we deduce the worker's type by checking some fields that
> never change such as relid and leader_piid. It's fine to me as long as
> we encapcel the deduction of worker's type by macros (or inline
> functions). Even with the proposed patch (0001 patch), we still need a
> similar logic to determine the worker's type.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that the calling code will not look very different
with/without this patch 0001, because everything is hidden by the
macros/functions. But those HEAD macros/functions are also hiding the
inefficiencies of the type deduction -- e.g. IMO it is quite strange
that we can only recognize the worker is an "apply worker" by
eliminating the other 2 possibilities.

As further background, the idea for this patch came from considering
another thread to "re-use" workers [1]. For example, when thinking
about re-using tablesync workers the HEAD am_tablesync_worker()
function begins to fall apart -- ie. it does not let you sensibly
disassociate a tablesync worker from its relid (which you might want
to do if tablesync workers were "pooled") because in the HEAD code any
tablesync worker without a relid is (by definition) NOT recognized as
a tablesync worker anymore!

Those above issues just disappear when a type field is added.

> If we want to change both process_syncing_tables() and
> should_apply_changes_for_rel() to use the switch statement instead of
> using cascading if/else, I think we can have a function, say
> LogicalRepWorkerType(), that returns LogicalRepWorkerType of the given
> worker.

The point of that "switch" in patch 0002 was to demonstrate that with
a worker-type enum we can write more *efficient* code in some places
than the current cascading if/else. I think making a "switch" just for
the sake of it, by adding more functions that hide yet more work, is
going in the opposite direction.

------
[1] reuse workers -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAGPVpCTq%3DrUDd4JUdaRc1XUWf4BrH2gdSNf3rtOMUGj9rPpfzQ%40mail.gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Peter Smith
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 8:10 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > The am_xxx functions are removed now in the v2-0001 patch. See [1].
> >
> > The replacement set of macros (the ones with no arg) are not strictly
> > necessary, except I felt it would make the code unnecessarily verbose
> > if we insist to pass MyLogicalRepWorker everywhere from the callers in
> > worker.c / tablesync.c / applyparallelworker.c.
> >

> Agreed but having a dual set of macros is also not clean. Can we
> provide only a unique set of inline functions instead?

We can't use the same names for both with/without-parameter functions
because there is no function overloading in C. In patch v3-0001 I've
replaced the "dual set of macros", with a single inline function of a
different name, and one set of space-saving macros.

PSA v3

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia

Вложения

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> We can't use the same names for both with/without-parameter functions
> because there is no function overloading in C. In patch v3-0001 I've
> replaced the "dual set of macros", with a single inline function of a
> different name, and one set of space-saving macros.
>
> PSA v3

Quick thoughts:

1.
+typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
+{
+    TYPE_UNKNOWN = 0,
+    TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER,
+    TYPE_APPLY_WORKER,
+    TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER
+} LogicalRepWorkerType;

-1 for these names starting with prefix TYPE_, in fact LR_ looked better.

2.
+is_worker_type(LogicalRepWorker *worker, LogicalRepWorkerType type)

This function name looks too generic, an element of  logical
replication is better in the name.

3.
+#define IsLeaderApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
TYPE_APPLY_WORKER)
+#define IsParallelApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER)
+#define IsTablesyncWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER)

My thoughts were around removing am_XXX_worker() and
IsXXXWorker(&worker) functions and just have IsXXXWorker(&worker)
alone with using IsXXXWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker) in places where
am_XXX_worker() is used. If implementing this leads to something like
the above with is_worker_type, -1 from me.

> Done. I converged everything to the macro-naming style as suggested,
> but I chose not to pass MyLogicalRepWorker as a parameter for the
> normal (am_xxx case) otherwise I felt it would make the calling code
> unnecessarily verbose.

With is_worker_type, the calling code now looks even more verbose. I
don't think IsLeaderApplyWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker) is a bad idea.
This unifies multiple worker type functions into one and makes code
simple.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 2:46 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We can't use the same names for both with/without-parameter functions
> > because there is no function overloading in C. In patch v3-0001 I've
> > replaced the "dual set of macros", with a single inline function of a
> > different name, and one set of space-saving macros.
> >
> > PSA v3
>
> Quick thoughts:
>
> 1.
> +typedef enum LogicalRepWorkerType
> +{
> +    TYPE_UNKNOWN = 0,
> +    TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER,
> +    TYPE_APPLY_WORKER,
> +    TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER
> +} LogicalRepWorkerType;
>
> -1 for these names starting with prefix TYPE_, in fact LR_ looked better.
>
> 2.
> +is_worker_type(LogicalRepWorker *worker, LogicalRepWorkerType type)
>
> This function name looks too generic, an element of  logical
> replication is better in the name.
>
> 3.
> +#define IsLeaderApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_APPLY_WORKER)
> +#define IsParallelApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER)
> +#define IsTablesyncWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER)
>
> My thoughts were around removing am_XXX_worker() and
> IsXXXWorker(&worker) functions and just have IsXXXWorker(&worker)
> alone with using IsXXXWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker) in places where
> am_XXX_worker() is used. If implementing this leads to something like
> the above with is_worker_type, -1 from me.

What I was suggesting to Peter to have something like:
static inline bool
am_tablesync_worker(void)
{
return (MyLogicalRepWorker->type == TYPE_APPLY_WORKER);
}

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Melih Mutlu
Дата:
Hi,

Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com>, 2 Ağu 2023 Çar, 09:27 tarihinde şunu yazdı:
On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 3:35 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can see the problem you stated and it's true that the worker's type
> never changes during its lifetime. But I'm not sure we really need to
> add a new variable to LogicalRepWorker since we already have enough
> information there to distinguish the worker's type.
>
> Currently, we deduce the worker's type by checking some fields that
> never change such as relid and leader_piid. It's fine to me as long as
> we encapcel the deduction of worker's type by macros (or inline
> functions). Even with the proposed patch (0001 patch), we still need a
> similar logic to determine the worker's type.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that the calling code will not look very different
with/without this patch 0001, because everything is hidden by the
macros/functions. But those HEAD macros/functions are also hiding the
inefficiencies of the type deduction -- e.g. IMO it is quite strange
that we can only recognize the worker is an "apply worker" by
eliminating the other 2 possibilities.

Isn't the apply worker type still decided by eliminating the other choices even with the patch?

  /* Prepare the worker slot. */
+ if (OidIsValid(relid))
+ worker->type = TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER;
+ else if (is_parallel_apply_worker)
+ worker->type = TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER;
+ else
+ worker->type = TYPE_APPLY_WORKER;

> 3.
> +#define IsLeaderApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_APPLY_WORKER)
> +#define IsParallelApplyWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER)
> +#define IsTablesyncWorker() is_worker_type(MyLogicalRepWorker,
> TYPE_TABLESYNC_WORKER)
>
> My thoughts were around removing am_XXX_worker() and
> IsXXXWorker(&worker) functions and just have IsXXXWorker(&worker)
> alone with using IsXXXWorker(MyLogicalRepWorker) in places where
> am_XXX_worker() is used. If implementing this leads to something like
> the above with is_worker_type, -1 from me.

I agree that having both is_worker_type and IsXXXWorker makes the code more confusing. Especially both type check ways are used in the same file/function as follows:

 logicalrep_worker_detach(void)
 {
  /* Stop the parallel apply workers. */
- if (am_leader_apply_worker())
+ if (IsLeaderApplyWorker())
  {
  List   *workers;
  ListCell   *lc;
@@ -749,7 +756,7 @@ logicalrep_worker_detach(void)
  {
  LogicalRepWorker *w = (LogicalRepWorker *) lfirst(lc);

- if (isParallelApplyWorker(w))
+ if (is_worker_type(w, TYPE_PARALLEL_APPLY_WORKER))
  logicalrep_worker_stop_internal(w, SIGTERM);
   }

Melih Mutlu
Microsoft

Re: Adding a LogicalRepWorker type field

От
Ashutosh Bapat