Обсуждение: BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

От
PG Bug reporting form
Дата:

Bug reference:      18040
Logged by:          Daniil
Email address:      danikgoog@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 15.3
Operating system:   Windows

PostgreSQL does not report its version to Windows OS correctly as described
here
https://github.com/microsoft/winget-pkgs/issues/82335#issuecomment-1273640827
(does not report minor versions) thus breaking things like Microsoft WinGet.

Re: BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 09:05:31PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18040
> Logged by:          Daniil
> Email address:      danikgoog@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.3
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> PostgreSQL does not report its version to Windows OS correctly as described
> here
> https://github.com/microsoft/winget-pkgs/issues/82335#issuecomment-1273640827
> (does not report minor versions) thus breaking things like Microsoft WinGet.

We can't help unless you show us the SQL query output that is wrong, not
the winget output.

Re: BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

От
"David G. Johnston"

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023, 19:02 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 09:05:31PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18040
> Logged by:          Daniil
> Email address:      danikgoog@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.3
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> PostgreSQL does not report its version to Windows OS correctly as described
> here
> https://github.com/microsoft/winget-pkgs/issues/82335#issuecomment-1273640827
> (does not report minor versions) thus breaking things like Microsoft WinGet.

We can't help unless you show us the SQL query output that is wrong, not
the winget output.

The big report itself is fine.  It's just we can't help because we don't produce the relevant code in core.  Not that I'm sure where it is produced and this who this should be sent to. In any case this problem occurs outside of SQL, it is a installer/packaging concern.

David J.

Re: BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 2023-08-10 Th 22:42, David G. Johnston wrote:

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023, 19:02 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 09:05:31PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      18040
> Logged by:          Daniil
> Email address:      danikgoog@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.3
> Operating system:   Windows
>
> PostgreSQL does not report its version to Windows OS correctly as described
> here
> https://github.com/microsoft/winget-pkgs/issues/82335#issuecomment-1273640827
> (does not report minor versions) thus breaking things like Microsoft WinGet.

We can't help unless you show us the SQL query output that is wrong, not
the winget output.

The big report itself is fine.  It's just we can't help because we don't produce the relevant code in core.  Not that I'm sure where it is produced and this who this should be sent to. In any case this problem occurs outside of SQL, it is a installer/packaging concern.

I've dropped a note to one of the windows packagers.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: BUG #18040: PostgreSQL does not report its version correctly

От
Sandeep Thakkar
Дата:
Hi,

The PostgreSQL installer does not explicitly create the registry at HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. It's created automatically by the InstallBuilder tool on adding Add/Remove programs. I guess since the product version is defined as a major version so that upgrades to minor versions are installed in the same installation directory, the tool is not setting the minor versions. We will take this to the InstallBuilder team on how this be handled, but do you think the winget package manager can instead read the full version from HKLM:\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-14 ?