Обсуждение: Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

От
Ranier Vilela
Дата:
Hi,

This has already been discussed in [1].
But I thought it best to start a new thread.

The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
buffers.
But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.

Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.

patch attached.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela

Вложения

Re: Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

От
Gurjeet Singh
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This has already been discussed in [1].
> But I thought it best to start a new thread.
>
> The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
> buffers.
> But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
> The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.
>
> Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.
>
> patch attached.

LGTM.

+CC Kyotaro, as they were involved in the previous discussion.

> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEudQAr_oWHpZk4uumZijYS362gp4KHAah-yUe08CQY4a4SsOQ%40mail.gmail.com

Best regards,
Gurjeet
http://Gurje.et

Re: Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:29:16 -0700, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im> wrote in
> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This has already been discussed in [1].
> > But I thought it best to start a new thread.
> >
> > The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
> > buffers.
> > But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
> > The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.
> >
> > Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.
> >
> > patch attached.
>
> LGTM.

LGTM, too.

I don't think it will actually come to play, since I believe we won't
be expanding a relation by 16TB all at once. Nevertheless, I believe
keeping things tidy is a good habit to stick to.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Em seg., 10 de jul. de 2023 às 03:27, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> escreveu:
At Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:29:16 -0700, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im> wrote in
> On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This has already been discussed in [1].
> > But I thought it best to start a new thread.
> >
> > The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
> > buffers.
> > But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
> > The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.
> >
> > Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.
> >
> > patch attached.
>
> LGTM.

LGTM, too.
Thanks Gurjeet and Kyotaro, for taking a look.

I don't think it will actually come to play, since I believe we won't
be expanding a relation by 16TB all at once. Nevertheless, I believe
keeping things tidy is a good habit to stick to.
Yeah, mainly because of copy-and-paste.
Also, compiler has to promote int to uint32, anyway.

regards,
Ranier Vilela

Re: Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 10.07.23 13:08, Ranier Vilela wrote:

> Em seg., 10 de jul. de 2023 às 03:27, Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com <mailto:horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     At Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:29:16 -0700, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im
>     <mailto:gurjeet@singh.im>> wrote in
>      > On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com
>     <mailto:ranier.vf@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > >
>      > > Hi,
>      > >
>      > > This has already been discussed in [1].
>      > > But I thought it best to start a new thread.
>      > >
>      > > The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
>      > > buffers.
>      > > But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
>      > > The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.
>      > >
>      > > Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.
>      > >
>      > > patch attached.
>      >
>      > LGTM.
>
>     LGTM, too.
>
> Thanks Gurjeet and Kyotaro, for taking a look.

committed

Re: Standardize type of variable when extending Buffers

От
Ranier Vilela
Дата:
Em ter., 19 de set. de 2023 às 05:07, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> escreveu:
On 10.07.23 13:08, Ranier Vilela wrote:

> Em seg., 10 de jul. de 2023 às 03:27, Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com <mailto:horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     At Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:29:16 -0700, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im
>     <mailto:gurjeet@singh.im>> wrote in
>      > On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:12 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com
>     <mailto:ranier.vf@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > >
>      > > Hi,
>      > >
>      > > This has already been discussed in [1].
>      > > But I thought it best to start a new thread.
>      > >
>      > > The commit 31966b1 introduced the infrastructure to extend
>      > > buffers.
>      > > But the patch mixed types with int and uint32.
>      > > The correct type of the variable counter is uint32.
>      > >
>      > > Fix by standardizing the int type to uint32.
>      > >
>      > > patch attached.
>      >
>      > LGTM.
>
>     LGTM, too.
>
> Thanks Gurjeet and Kyotaro, for taking a look.

committed
Thank you Peter.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela