Обсуждение: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi,

While working on something else, I noticed that the “if (entry->conn
== NULL)” test after doing disconnect_pg_server() when re-establishing
a given connection in GetConnection() is pointless, because the former
function ensures that entry->conn is NULL.  So I removed the if-test.
Attached is a patch for that.  I think we could instead add an
assertion, but I did not, because we already have it in
make_new_connection().

This would be harmless, so I am planning to apply the patch to HEAD only.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Richard Guo

While working on something else, I noticed that the “if (entry->conn
== NULL)” test after doing disconnect_pg_server() when re-establishing
a given connection in GetConnection() is pointless, because the former
function ensures that entry->conn is NULL.  So I removed the if-test.
Attached is a patch for that.  I think we could instead add an
assertion, but I did not, because we already have it in
make_new_connection().

+1. Good catch.

Thanks
Richard

Re: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 15 Mar 2023, at 11:18, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> While working on something else, I noticed that the “if (entry->conn
> == NULL)” test after doing disconnect_pg_server() when re-establishing
> a given connection in GetConnection() is pointless, because the former
> function ensures that entry->conn is NULL.  So I removed the if-test.
> Attached is a patch for that.

LGTM, nice catch.

> I think we could instead add an assertion, but I did not, because we already
> have it in make_new_connection().

Agreed, the assertion in make_new_connection is enough (and is needed there).

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:40 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 6:18 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
>> While working on something else, I noticed that the “if (entry->conn
>> == NULL)” test after doing disconnect_pg_server() when re-establishing
>> a given connection in GetConnection() is pointless, because the former
>> function ensures that entry->conn is NULL.  So I removed the if-test.
>> Attached is a patch for that.  I think we could instead add an
>> assertion, but I did not, because we already have it in
>> make_new_connection().

> +1. Good catch.

Cool!  Thanks for looking!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:58 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> > On 15 Mar 2023, at 11:18, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While working on something else, I noticed that the “if (entry->conn
> > == NULL)” test after doing disconnect_pg_server() when re-establishing
> > a given connection in GetConnection() is pointless, because the former
> > function ensures that entry->conn is NULL.  So I removed the if-test.
> > Attached is a patch for that.
>
> LGTM, nice catch.
>
> > I think we could instead add an assertion, but I did not, because we already
> > have it in make_new_connection().
>
> Agreed, the assertion in make_new_connection is enough (and is needed there).

Great!  Thanks for looking!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: Useless if-test in GetConnection()

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 7:18 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be harmless, so I am planning to apply the patch to HEAD only.

I forgot to mention that this was added in v14.  Done that way.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita