Обсуждение: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

suggest about bpchar data type in the document

От
"yanliang lei"
I hope that:

 in the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.html ,It needs to be written clearly  “bpchar” data type,

and in the above url, Only mentioned “blank padded” ,If someone does not know  this knowledge point(blank padded =bp),he/she  will make a detour in the study of  character datatype。

so,To make the document more friendly, I suggest that: in the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.htm  ,It needs to be written clearly  “bpchar” data type。

thanks a lot!

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 17:41 +0800, yanliang lei wrote:
> I hope that:
>
>  in the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.html ,It needs to be written clearly  “bpchar” data
type,

> and in the above url, Only mentioned “blank padded” ,If someone does not know  this knowledge point(blank padded
=bp),he/she  willmake a detour in the study of  character datatype。

> so,To make the document more friendly, I suggest that: in
the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.htm  ,Itneeds to be written clearly  “bpchar” data type。

+1

I think that adding "bpchar(n)" in table 8.4 would be a good thing.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 18:48 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 17:41 +0800, yanliang lei wrote:
> > I hope that:
> >
> >  in the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.html ,It needs to be written clearly  “bpchar”
datatype,

> > and in the above url, Only mentioned “blank padded” ,If someone does not know  this knowledge point
> > (blank padded =bp),he/she  will make a detour in the study of  character datatype。
> >
> > so,To make the document more friendly, I suggest that: in
the  https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/datatype-characterin.htm
> > It needs to be written clearly  “bpchar” data type。
>
> +1
>
> I think that adding "bpchar(n)" in table 8.4 would be a good thing.

Here is a patch for that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Вложения

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

Дата:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
>> I think that adding "bpchar(n)" in table 8.4 would be a good thing.

> Here is a patch for that.

There would need to be some mention of it in the paras below, too.

            regards, tom lane

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > > I think that adding "bpchar(n)" in table 8.4 would be a good thing.
>
> > Here is a patch for that.
>
> There would need to be some mention of it in the paras below, too.

True.  I think the attached should be sufficient.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Вложения

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

Дата:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
>> There would need to be some mention of it in the paras below, too.

> True.  I think the attached should be sufficient.

Pushed.  I failed to resist the temptation to do some further cleanup
in the same area.

            regards, tom lane

Re: suggest about bpchar data type in the document

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 10:48 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > There would need to be some mention of it in the paras below, too.
>
> > True.  I think the attached should be sufficient.
>
> Pushed.  I failed to resist the temptation to do some further cleanup
> in the same area.

Thanks for your diligent failure, as always.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe