Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

I've attached a draft of the PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement.
Please review for correctness and if there are any omissions.

Please provide feedback on the draft no later than Sep 8, 2022 0:00 AoE.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Wed, 7 Sept 2022 at 13:40, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Please provide feedback on the draft no later than Sep 8, 2022 0:00 AoE.

"* Adjust costing to force parallelism with partition aggregates."

If that's about 01474f5698, then it does not need to be mentioned.
All that commit does is update the regression tests so that they're
properly exercising what they were originally meant to test.

David

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
Op 07-09-2022 om 03:40 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
> Hi,
>
> I've attached a draft of the PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement.
> Please review for correctness and if there are any omissions.
>
> Please provide feedback on the draft no later than Sep 8, 2022 0:00 AoE.

'Fixes and changes in PostgreSQL 15 Beta 3 include:'  should be
'Fixes and changes in PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 include:'

Erik

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi Jonathan,

On 2022-Sep-06, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> * [`MERGE`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-merge.html) statements are
> explicitly rejected inside of a
> [common-table expression](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-with.html)
> (aka `WITH` query) and
> [`COPY`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-copy.html) statements.

I would say "Avoid crash in MERGE when called inside COPY or a CTE by
throwing an error early", so that it doesn't look like we're removing a
feature.

Thank you for putting this together!

"Those who use electric razors are infidels destined to burn in hell while
we drink from rivers of beer, download free vids and mingle with naked
well shaved babes." (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=44793&cid=4647152)

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/7/22 4:02 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On 2022-Sep-06, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> * [`MERGE`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-merge.html) statements are
>> explicitly rejected inside of a
>> [common-table expression](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/queries-with.html)
>> (aka `WITH` query) and
>> [`COPY`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-copy.html) statements.
>
> I would say "Avoid crash in MERGE when called inside COPY or a CTE by
> throwing an error early", so that it doesn't look like we're removing a
> feature.

Yeah, we don't want to create the wrong impression. I updated it per
your suggestion (with minor tweaks) and removed the line that David
mentioned around the test fix.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 9/7/22 1:18 AM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> Op 07-09-2022 om 03:40 schreef Jonathan S. Katz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've attached a draft of the PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 release
>> announcement. Please review for correctness and if there are any
>> omissions.
>>
>> Please provide feedback on the draft no later than Sep 8, 2022 0:00 AoE.
>
> 'Fixes and changes in PostgreSQL 15 Beta 3 include:'  should be
> 'Fixes and changes in PostgreSQL 15 Beta 4 include:'

Fixed -- thanks!

Jonathan

Вложения