Обсуждение: pgsql: Fix for make unportability

pgsql: Fix for make unportability

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Fix for make unportability

88dad06b47eb80f699211c9b0b7a1c6d9016ad19 contains a make $(shell)
construct that apparently confuses older GNU make versions (possibly
because of the # inside the shell command?).  This construct, which
would allow # comments inside LINGUAS files, was adapted from gettext
recommendations, but we don't actually need that functionality, so
sidestep this whole issue by just using plain "cat".

In passing, make this code work with vpath.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/58b4f366c0c4b3a5d65269f01150e4ec04cb20a2

Modified Files
--------------
src/nls-global.mk | 2 +-

Re: pgsql: Fix for make unportability

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2022-Jul-13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Fix for make unportability
>
> 88dad06b47eb80f699211c9b0b7a1c6d9016ad19 contains a make $(shell)
> construct that apparently confuses older GNU make versions (possibly
> because of the # inside the shell command?).  This construct, which
> would allow # comments inside LINGUAS files, was adapted from gettext
> recommendations, but we don't actually need that functionality, so
> sidestep this whole issue by just using plain "cat".

I suppose if we're getting rid of Make soon, it's not really very useful
to make this more make-ish:

  AVAIL_LANGUAGES := $(file <$(srcdir)/po/LINGUAS)

Re: pgsql: Fix for make unportability

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 13.07.22 09:45, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I suppose if we're getting rid of Make soon
(we are not)

 > it's not really very useful> to make this more make-ish:
>
>    AVAIL_LANGUAGES := $(file <$(srcdir)/po/LINGUAS)

I had never seen this syntax.  The GNU make changelog reveals that it is
new in version 4.2 (22 May 2016), which is too new for us to require.