Обсуждение: pgsql: Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

pgsql: Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

We have had a working and tunable autovacuum
for at least a decade now, so remove the recommendation to
manually vacuum tables at least every night.
Autovacuum is now also triggered by INSERTs, so we can also
remove the recommendation to run VACUUM (ANALYZE) after lots
of INSERTs or DELETEs.

Instead, suggest using autovacuum by moving the respective
paragraph up to where the importance of VACUUM is emphasized.

Author: Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>
Reviewed-By: Magnus Hagander, Peter Geoghegan
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/6f5e3da98fec14640f389d7b84c3b413833697f4.camel@cybertec.at

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/27f953ea9901c08fb3e4064f9a31e07bc30c1e6d

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/ref/vacuum.sgml | 20 +++++---------------

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

Дата:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 05:48:41PM +0000, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM
>
> We have had a working and tunable autovacuum
> for at least a decade now, so remove the recommendation to
> manually vacuum tables at least every night.
> Autovacuum is now also triggered by INSERTs, so we can also
> remove the recommendation to run VACUUM (ANALYZE) after lots
> of INSERTs or DELETEs.
>
> Instead, suggest using autovacuum by moving the respective
> paragraph up to where the importance of VACUUM is emphasized.
>
> Author: Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>
> Reviewed-By: Magnus Hagander, Peter Geoghegan
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/6f5e3da98fec14640f389d7b84c3b413833697f4.camel@cybertec.at
>
> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/27f953ea9901c08fb3e4064f9a31e07bc30c1e6d
>
> Modified Files
> --------------
> doc/src/sgml/ref/vacuum.sgml | 20 +++++---------------
> 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

Uh, shouldn't this doc patch be applied to all major supported Postgres
versions?

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 8:57 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 05:48:41PM +0000, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM
>
> We have had a working and tunable autovacuum
> for at least a decade now, so remove the recommendation to
> manually vacuum tables at least every night.
> Autovacuum is now also triggered by INSERTs, so we can also
> remove the recommendation to run VACUUM (ANALYZE) after lots
> of INSERTs or DELETEs.
>
> Instead, suggest using autovacuum by moving the respective
> paragraph up to where the importance of VACUUM is emphasized.
>
> Author: Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>
> Reviewed-By: Magnus Hagander, Peter Geoghegan
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/6f5e3da98fec14640f389d7b84c3b413833697f4.camel@cybertec.at
>
> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/27f953ea9901c08fb3e4064f9a31e07bc30c1e6d
>
> Modified Files
> --------------
> doc/src/sgml/ref/vacuum.sgml | 20 +++++---------------
> 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

Uh, shouldn't this doc patch be applied to all major supported Postgres
versions?

Not sure. If we do we'd at least have to adapt it past the point where autovacuum handles INSERTs I think?

//Magnus

Re: pgsql: Remove outdated recommendation for manual VACUUM

Дата:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 09:27:29PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     Uh, shouldn't this doc patch be applied to all major supported Postgres
>     versions?
>
> Not sure. If we do we'd at least have to adapt it past the point where
> autovacuum handles INSERTs I think?

Oh, good point, never mind.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson