Обсуждение: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
Hi,

with reference to the discussion in docs:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2221339.1645896597%40sss.pgh.pa.us#5a346c15ec2edbe8fcc93a1ffc2a7c7d

Here is a patch that changes "Hot Standby" to "hot standby" in high-availability.sgml, so we have a consistent wording.
Thoughts?

There are other places where hot standby is capitalized, but I guess we should start here.

Regards
Daniel
Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi Daniel,

> Here is a patch that changes "Hot Standby" to "hot standby" in high-availability.sgml, so we have a consistent wording.
> Thoughts?

```
-   <title>Hot Standby Parameter Reference</title>
+   <title>hot standby Parameter Reference</title>
```

Pretty sure that for titles we should keep English capitalization rules.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
Hi Aleksander,

> Pretty sure that for titles we should keep English capitalization rules.

Done like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Regards
Daniel
Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:22:44 +0000, "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote in
> > Pretty sure that for titles we should keep English capitalization rules.
>
> Done like that. Thanks for taking a look.

    <para>
-    Hot Standby feedback propagates upstream, whatever the cascaded arrangement.
+    hot standby feedback propagates upstream, whatever the cascaded arrangement

    <para>
-    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
+    hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

They look like decapitalizing the first word in a sentsnce.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
Hi Kyotaro,

>>    <para>
>>-    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
>>+    hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

>They look like decapitalizing the first word in a sentsnce.

Thanks for having a look. Are you suggesting to change it like this?
-    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
+    Hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

Regards
Daniel

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Thu, 3 Mar 2022 06:55:43 +0000, "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote in
> Hi Kyotaro,
>
> >>    <para>
> >>-    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
> >>+    hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
>
> >They look like decapitalizing the first word in a sentsnce.
>
> Thanks for having a look. Are you suggesting to change it like this?
> -    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
> +    Hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

Yes.  Isn't it the right form of a sentence?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>> Thanks for having a look. Are you suggesting to change it like this?
>> -    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
>> +    Hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

>Yes.  Isn't it the right form of a sentence?

Done like that.

Regards
Daniel
Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>>> Thanks for having a look. Are you suggesting to change it like this?
>>> -    Hot Standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to
>>> +    Hot standby is the term used to describe the ability to connect to

>>Yes.  Isn't it the right form of a sentence?

I've created and entry in the Commitfest 2022-07 for this.

Regards
Daniel

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 11:06 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE)

> >>Yes.  Isn't it the right form of a sentence?
>
> I've created and entry in the Commitfest 2022-07 for this.

I think one more small change...

    A standby server can also be used for read-only queries, in which case
-   it is called a Hot Standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
+   it is called a hot standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
    more information.

    A standby server can also be used for read-only queries, in which case
-   it is called a Hot Standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
+   it is called a <firstterm>hot standby</firstterm> server. See

https://xzilla.net

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>I think one more small change...

>    A standby server can also be used for read-only queries, in which case
>-   it is called a Hot Standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
>+   it is called a hot standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
>    more information.

>    A standby server can also be used for read-only queries, in which case
>-   it is called a Hot Standby server. See <xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
>+   it is called a <firstterm>hot standby</firstterm> server. See
><xref linkend="hot-standby"/> for
>    more information.

Thanks for having a look. Done that way.

Regards
Daniel

Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 07:45:32AM +0000, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
> Thanks for having a look. Done that way.

Hmm.  Outside the title that had better use upper-case characters for
the first letter of each word, I can see references to the pattern you
are trying to eliminate in amcheck.sgml (1), config.sgml (3),
protocol.sgml (3) and mvcc.sgml (1).  Shouldn't you refresh these as
well if the point is to make the full set of docs consistent?

As of the full tree, I can see that:
$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
259
$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
73

So there is a trend for one of the two.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
Hi Michael,

>On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 07:45:32AM +0000, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
>> Thanks for having a look. Done that way.

>Hmm.  Outside the title that had better use upper-case characters for
>the first letter of each word, I can see references to the pattern you
>are trying to eliminate in amcheck.sgml (1), config.sgml (3),
>protocol.sgml (3) and mvcc.sgml (1).  Shouldn't you refresh these as
>well if the point is to make the full set of docs consistent?

>As of the full tree, I can see that:
>
>$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
>259

>$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
>73

>So there is a trend for one of the two.

Thanks for looking at it. Yes, I am aware there are other places which would need to be changed and I think I mentioned
thatin an earlier Email. Are you suggesting to change all at once? I wanted to start with the documentation and then
continuewith the other places.

Regards
Daniel

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>>Hmm.  Outside the title that had better use upper-case characters for
>>the first letter of each word, I can see references to the pattern you
>>are trying to eliminate in amcheck.sgml (1), config.sgml (3),
>>protocol.sgml (3) and mvcc.sgml (1).  Shouldn't you refresh these as
>>well if the point is to make the full set of docs consistent?

>>As of the full tree, I can see that:
>>
>>$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
>>259

>>$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
>>73

>>So there is a trend for one of the two.

>Thanks for looking at it. Yes, I am aware there are other places which would need to be changed and I think I
mentionedthat in an >earlier Email. Are you suggesting to change all at once? I wanted to start with the documentation
andthen continue with the other >places.

Attached a new version which also modifies amcheck.sgml, config.sgml, protocol.sgml, and mvcc.sgml accordingly.

Regards
Daniel
Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>>>Hmm.  Outside the title that had better use upper-case characters for
>>>the first letter of each word, I can see references to the pattern you
>>>are trying to eliminate in amcheck.sgml (1), config.sgml (3),
>>>protocol.sgml (3) and mvcc.sgml (1).  Shouldn't you refresh these as
>>>well if the point is to make the full set of docs consistent?

>>>As of the full tree, I can see that:
>>>
>>$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
>>259

>>$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
>>73

>>>So there is a trend for one of the two.

>>Thanks for looking at it. Yes, I am aware there are other places which would need to be changed and I think I
mentionedthat in an >>earlier Email. Are you suggesting to change all at once? I wanted to start with the documentation
andthen continue with the other >>places.

>Attached a new version which also modifies amcheck.sgml, config.sgml, protocol.sgml, and mvcc.sgml accordingly.

Regards
Daniel

>>Hmm.  Outside the title that had better use upper-case characters for
>>the first letter of each word, I can see references to the pattern you
>>are trying to eliminate in amcheck.sgml (1), config.sgml (3),
>>protocol.sgml (3) and mvcc.sgml (1).  Shouldn't you refresh these as
>>well if the point is to make the full set of docs consistent?

>>As of the full tree, I can see that:
>>
>>$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
>>259

>>$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
>>73

>>So there is a trend for one of the two.

>>Thanks for looking at it. Yes, I am aware there are other places which would need to be changed and I think I
mentionedthat in an >>earlier Email. Are you suggesting to change all at once? I wanted to start with the documentation
andthen continue with the other >>places.

>Attached a new version which also modifies amcheck.sgml, config.sgml, protocol.sgml, and mvcc.sgml accordingly.

Sending this again as my last two mails did not seem to reach the archives or the commitfest. Or do they need
moderationsomehow?

Regards
Daniel
Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 8:45 AM Daniel Westermann (DWE)

> >>$ git grep "hot standby" | wc -l
> >>259
>
> >>$ git grep "Hot Standby" | wc -l
> >>73

> >>Thanks for looking at it. Yes, I am aware there are other places which would need to be changed and I think I
mentionedthat in an >>earlier Email. Are you suggesting to change all at once? I wanted to start with the documentation
andthen continue with the other >>places.

> >Attached a new version which also modifies amcheck.sgml, config.sgml, protocol.sgml, and mvcc.sgml accordingly.
>
> Regards
> Daniel

Not sure why the previous emails didn't go through, and still doesn't
look like they were picked up. In the interest of progress though,
attaching an updated patch with some minor wordsmithing; lmk if you'd
prefer this differently

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 05:58:05PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> Not sure why the previous emails didn't go through, and still doesn't
> look like they were picked up. In the interest of progress though,
> attaching an updated patch with some minor wordsmithing; lmk if you'd
> prefer this differently

Looks the same as v5 for me, that applies the same consistency rules
everywhere in the docs.  So applied this one.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Changing "Hot Standby" to "hot standby"

От
"Daniel Westermann (DWE)"
Дата:
>Looks the same as v5 for me, that applies the same consistency rules
>everywhere in the docs.  So applied this one.

Thank you, Michael