Обсуждение: "README" mentions "INSTALL" but this file doesn't exist in git checkout

"README" mentions "INSTALL" but this file doesn't exist in git checkout

От
Kevin Burke
Дата:
Hi,
I'm attempting to get started with Postgres development. I checked out the Postgres git sources from https://github.com/postgres/postgres. The README notes:

See the file INSTALL for instructions on how to build and install
PostgreSQL.  That file also lists supported operating systems and
hardware platforms and contains information regarding any other
software packages that are required to build or run the PostgreSQL
system.

Unfortunately this file doesn't exist in the sources. Commit 0bcc2beb4a8e27c407da7d247083937261b60071 removed it, and the message says it gets built as part of the "tarball scripts" now.

Given that people who have the git source are more likely to try to get started building the source code, it may be helpful to provide more useful information in the README, or a backup location to look?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Re: "README" mentions "INSTALL" but this file doesn't exist in git checkout

Дата:
Kevin Burke <kevin@meter.com> writes:
> I'm attempting to get started with Postgres development. I checked out the
> Postgres git sources from https://github.com/postgres/postgres. The README
> notes:

>> See the file INSTALL for instructions on how to build and install
>> PostgreSQL.  That file also lists supported operating systems and
>> hardware platforms and contains information regarding any other
>> software packages that are required to build or run the PostgreSQL
>> system.

> Unfortunately this file doesn't exist in the sources.

Indeed, it's built documentation.  But you should have read the
adjacent file README.git instead.

            regards, tom lane

Re: "README" mentions "INSTALL" but this file doesn't exist in git checkout

От
Kevin Burke

Aha, thank you and sorry.