Обсуждение: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Matthias van de Meent
Дата:
Hi,

I noticed that the current IRC link to PostGIS' IRC channel
incorrectly links to freenode as a channel that is related to the
PostGIS project. According to this thead[0], PostGIS has moved from
IRC to Matrix, with a bridge to an official IRC channel on
libera.chat. Additionally, their website has been updated to promote
these channels in the 'Chat Room' section of their support page[1].

I believe it would be useful to update the 'Other Related'-section of
the PostgreSQL website to not link to (now) unaffiliated channels.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent
(unaffiliated with the PostGIS project)

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2021-June/028979.html
[1] http://postgis.net/support/

Re: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 9 Aug 2021, at 11:41, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe it would be useful to update the 'Other Related'-section of
> the PostgreSQL website to not link to (now) unaffiliated channels.

Another suggestion would be to remove the "Other PostgreSQL Related Channels on
other IRC networks" section altogether.  It's a pretty small list as is, and
keeping the section means that we're on the hook to maintain it (as we've
apparently failed to do given that the postgis site was changed 2 months ago,
and the recent page reordering removed long-since dead channel links).  I don't
have strong feelings, but seems worth to discuss at least.

If we are keeping it we should of course keep it up to date, the attached 0002
does that.  It does however link to the matrix channel as well since that's the
primary instance.

When looking at this I realized that the three lists of channels are using
three different formats for listing channels, 0001 unifies this by making them
all look the same.

Re: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 9 Aug 2021, at 18:05, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Daniel Gustafsson (daniel@yesql.se) wrote:

>> If we are keeping it we should of course keep it up to date, the attached 0002
>> does that.  It does however link to the matrix channel as well since that's the
>> primary instance.
>
> I'm generally +1 on keeping it and working to maintain it.

Sounds good, let’s go for that.

>> When looking at this I realized that the three lists of channels are using
>> three different formats for listing channels, 0001 unifies this by making them
>> all look the same.
>
> These all looks like good changes to me, thanks for working on it.

Barring objections from anyone else, I’ll push these later.

Re: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 9 Aug 2021, at 18:33, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> Barring objections from anyone else, I’ll push these later.

Applied.

While testing this in Chrome and Firefox it struck me as odd that the paragraph
on CoC violation reporting is under "Language Specific Channels:".  Shouldn't
that info be moved up to the h1 context as it's really not specific to language
specific channels? Happy to do so unless there are objections.

Re: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Daniel Gustafsson (daniel@yesql.se) wrote:
> > On 9 Aug 2021, at 18:33, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> > Barring objections from anyone else, I’ll push these later.
>
> Applied.
>
> While testing this in Chrome and Firefox it struck me as odd that the paragraph
> on CoC violation reporting is under "Language Specific Channels:".  Shouldn't
> that info be moved up to the h1 context as it's really not specific to language
> specific channels? Happy to do so unless there are objections.

Yes, you're right about that.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Community IRC - Other Related - PostGIS out-of-date

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 10 Aug 2021, at 15:55, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote