Обсуждение: user-defined function in Perl or Tcl ???

user-defined function in Perl or Tcl ???

От
PG Doc comments form
Дата:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/functions-matching.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-matching.html

> If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing a
user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.

If you start from scratch today, it is unlikely that you use Perl or Tcl.

I think this message on above page needs an update.

Re: user-defined function in Perl or Tcl ???

Дата:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
>> If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing a
>> user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.

> If you start from scratch today, it is unlikely that you use Perl or Tcl.

That statement is not that way because we haven't thought about it.

Of the options we provide in the core distro, plpython is less suitable
because it only comes in an untrusted form (for lack of any workable
sandboxing feature in Python).  So plperl or pltcl is what there is.

            regards, tom lane

Re: user-defined function in Perl or Tcl ???

От
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Curious: why plv8 is still not in the core distro?

(apologies for top posting)

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 6:35 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
>> If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing a
>> user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.

> If you start from scratch today, it is unlikely that you use Perl or Tcl.

That statement is not that way because we haven't thought about it.

Of the options we provide in the core distro, plpython is less suitable
because it only comes in an untrusted form (for lack of any workable
sandboxing feature in Python).  So plperl or pltcl is what there is.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: user-defined function in Perl or Tcl ???

Дата:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:56:31PM -0700, Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
> Curious: why plv8 is still not in the core distro?
>
> (apologies for top posting)

plv8 requires a ton of dependencies and is very hard to build.