Обсуждение: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

От
Andrew Dunstan

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

Дата:
> Here's a patch I propose to apply to fix this bug (See

<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/759e997e-e1ca-91cd-84db-f4ae963fada1%40dunslane.net#b1cf11c3eb1f450bed97c79ad473909f>)

If I'm reading the code correctly, your change in RelationBuildTupleDesc
is scribbling directly on the disk buffer, which is surely not okay.
I don't understand why you need that at all given the other defenses
you added ... but if you need it, you have to modify the tuple AFTER
copying it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 6/17/21 11:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Here's a patch I propose to apply to fix this bug (See

<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/759e997e-e1ca-91cd-84db-f4ae963fada1%40dunslane.net#b1cf11c3eb1f450bed97c79ad473909f>)
> If I'm reading the code correctly, your change in RelationBuildTupleDesc
> is scribbling directly on the disk buffer, which is surely not okay.
> I don't understand why you need that at all given the other defenses
> you added ... but if you need it, you have to modify the tuple AFTER
> copying it.

OK, will fix. I think we do need it (See Andres' comment in the bug
thread). It should be a fairly simple fix.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 6/17/21 11:13 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 6/17/21 11:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> Here's a patch I propose to apply to fix this bug (See

<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/759e997e-e1ca-91cd-84db-f4ae963fada1%40dunslane.net#b1cf11c3eb1f450bed97c79ad473909f>)
>> If I'm reading the code correctly, your change in RelationBuildTupleDesc
>> is scribbling directly on the disk buffer, which is surely not okay.
>> I don't understand why you need that at all given the other defenses
>> you added ... but if you need it, you have to modify the tuple AFTER
>> copying it.
>
> OK, will fix. I think we do need it (See Andres' comment in the bug
> thread). It should be a fairly simple fix.

revised patch attached.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Вложения

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

Дата:
> revised patch attached.

OK.  One other point is that in HEAD, you only need the hunk that
prevents atthasmissing from becoming incorrectly set.  The hacks
to cope with it being already wrong are only needed in the back
branches.  Since we already forced initdb for beta2, there will
not be any v14 installations in which pg_attribute contains
a wrong value.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 6/17/21 1:45 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> revised patch attached.
> OK.  One other point is that in HEAD, you only need the hunk that
> prevents atthasmissing from becoming incorrectly set.  The hacks
> to cope with it being already wrong are only needed in the back
> branches.  Since we already forced initdb for beta2, there will
> not be any v14 installations in which pg_attribute contains
> a wrong value.

Good point. Should I replace the relcache.c changes in HEAD with an
Assert? Or just skip them altogether?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Patch for bug #17056 fast default on non-plain table

Дата:
> On 6/17/21 1:45 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> OK.  One other point is that in HEAD, you only need the hunk that
>> prevents atthasmissing from becoming incorrectly set.

> Good point. Should I replace the relcache.c changes in HEAD with an
> Assert? Or just skip them altogether?

I wouldn't bother touching relcache.c.

            regards, tom lane