Обсуждение: Preventing free space from being reused

Preventing free space from being reused

От
Noah Bergbauer
Дата:
Hello,

I am working on a project where I do not want Postgres to reuse free space in old pages (see https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABjy%2BRhbFu_Hs8ZEiOzaPaJSGB9jqFF0gDU5gtwCLiurG3NLjQ%40mail.gmail.com for details). I found that the HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM flag accomplishes this. For a long-term solution I see two options:

1. Introduce a reloption for this.
2. Implement it as a custom table access method in an extension.

As an experiment, I have created an extension which forwards all table access functions to the builtin heap access method, but enables the HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM flag for heap_insert and heap_multi_insert. However, the check in heap_getnext (https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/REL_12_5/src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c#L1294-L1304) is a showstopper. Because the custom access method uses a different function table (so that I can override heap_insert and heap_multi_insert), heap_getnext errors out with "only heap AM is supported". I am currently hacking around this problem by duplicating all code up to and including heap_getnext, with this check commented out. Clearly this is not ideal, as changes to the heap code in future updates might cause incompatibilities.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this issue?

Thank you,
Noah Bergbauer

Re: Preventing free space from being reused

Дата:
Noah Bergbauer <noah@statshelix.com> writes:
> I am working on a project where I do not want Postgres to reuse free space
> in old pages (see
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABjy%2BRhbFu_Hs8ZEiOzaPaJSGB9jqFF0gDU5gtwCLiurG3NLjQ%40mail.gmail.com
> for details). I found that the HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM flag accomplishes this.
> For a long-term solution I see two options:
> 1. Introduce a reloption for this.
> 2. Implement it as a custom table access method in an extension.

TBH, I can't believe that this is actually a good idea.  If we introduce
a reloption that does that, we'll just be getting users complaining about
table bloat ... but probably only after they get to a state where it's
going to be horribly painful to get out of.

(My reaction to your previous thread was that it was simply a question
of blindly insisting on using BRIN indexes for a case that they're quite
badly adapted to.  The better answer is to not use BRIN.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Preventing free space from being reused

От
Noah Bergbauer
Дата:
> (My reaction to your previous thread was that it was simply a question
> of blindly insisting on using BRIN indexes for a case that they're quite
> badly adapted to.  The better answer is to not use BRIN.)

Apologies, perhaps I am completely misunderstanding the motivation for BRIN?

From the docs:
>BRIN is designed for handling very large tables in which certain columns have some natural correlation with their physical location within the table.
>[...]
>a table storing a store's sale orders might have a date column on which each order was placed, and most of the time the entries for earlier orders will appear earlier in the table

My table is very large, and the column in question has a strong natural correlation with each tuple's physical location. It is, in fact, a date column where entries with earlier timestamps will appear earlier in the table. To be honest, if this isn't a use case for BRIN, then I don't know what is. The only exception to this is a small proportion of tuples which are slotted into random older pages due to their small size.

A btree index on the same column is 700x the size of BRIN, or 10% of relation itself. It does not perform significantly better than BRIN. The issue here is twofold: not only does slotting these tuples into older pages significantly reduce the effectiveness of BRIN, it also causes fragmentation on disk. Ultimately, this is why CLUSTER exists. One way to look at this situation is that my data is inserted exactly in index order, but Postgres keeps un-clustering it for reasons that are valid in general (don't waste disk space) but don't apply at all in this case (the file system uses compression, no space is wasted).

Any alternative ideas would of course be much appreciated! But at the moment HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM seems like the most practical solution to me.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:43 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Noah Bergbauer <noah@statshelix.com> writes:
> I am working on a project where I do not want Postgres to reuse free space
> in old pages (see
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABjy%2BRhbFu_Hs8ZEiOzaPaJSGB9jqFF0gDU5gtwCLiurG3NLjQ%40mail.gmail.com
> for details). I found that the HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM flag accomplishes this.
> For a long-term solution I see two options:
> 1. Introduce a reloption for this.
> 2. Implement it as a custom table access method in an extension.

TBH, I can't believe that this is actually a good idea.  If we introduce
a reloption that does that, we'll just be getting users complaining about
table bloat ... but probably only after they get to a state where it's
going to be horribly painful to get out of.

(My reaction to your previous thread was that it was simply a question
of blindly insisting on using BRIN indexes for a case that they're quite
badly adapted to.  The better answer is to not use BRIN.)

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Preventing free space from being reused

От
John Naylor
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 6:21 PM Noah Bergbauer <noah@statshelix.com> wrote:

> A btree index on the same column is 700x the size of BRIN, or 10% of relation itself. It does not perform significantly better than BRIN. The issue here is twofold: not only does slotting these tuples into older pages significantly reduce the effectiveness of BRIN, it also causes fragmentation on disk. Ultimately, this is why CLUSTER exists. One way to look at this situation is that my data is inserted exactly in index order, but Postgres keeps un-clustering it for reasons that are valid in general (don't waste disk space) but don't apply at all in this case (the file system uses compression, no space is wasted).
>
> Any alternative ideas would of course be much appreciated! But at the moment HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM seems like the most practical solution to me.

I would suggest to take a look at the BRIN opclass multi-minmax currently in development. It's designed to address that exact situation, and more review would be welcome:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/32/2523/

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Preventing free space from being reused

От
Noah Bergbauer
Дата:
>I would suggest to take a look at the BRIN opclass multi-minmax currently in development.

Thank you, this does look like it could help a lot with BRIN performance in this situation!

But again, if index performance alone was the only issue, then I would simply accept the space overhead and switch to btree. However, the disk fragmentation issue still remains and is significant. It is also amplified in my use case due to using ZFS, mostly for compression. But it is worth it: I am currently observing a 13x compression ratio (when comparing disk space reported by du and select sum(octet_length(x)), so this does not include the false gains from compressing padding). But in general, any variable-sized append-only workload suffers from this fragmentation problem. It's just that with filesystem compression, there is no longer a good reason to fill up those holes and accept the fragmentation.

To be clear, the main reason why I even brought my questions to this mailing list is that I don't know how to (correctly) get past the check in heap_getnext (see my first email) when implementing the workaround as a custom table access method. A reloption could theoretically disable free space maps entirely for some added efficiency, but I'm inclined to agree that this is not really needed.