Обсуждение: Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed.

Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed.

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
Hi all,

Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed. All patches have now been dealt
with. Before starting on moving and closing patches the stats were:

Needs review: 146 (-4)
Waiting on Author: 25 (+1)
Ready for Committer : 23 (-1)
Committed: 56 (+4)
Moved to next CF: 2 (+2)
Withdrawn: 8 (+0)

The following 4 patches out of 25 WoA patches were waiting for the
author during this commit fest without any updates. I've closed those
patches as "Returned with Feedback":

* Fix comment about generate_gather_paths
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2876/
* remove deprecated v8.2 containment operators
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2798/
* bitmap cost should account for correlated indexes
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2310/
* avoid bitmapOR-ing indexes for scan conditions implied by partition constraint
    * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/2644/

Other patches have been moved to the commitfest. As a result, a lot of
patches are still in the reviewing queue. When closing the patches, I
chose and closed the patches that are clearly inactive for more than
about 1 month. But if I confirm that the author has a plan to update
the patch soon I didn't close them. So I might have left too many
patches for the next commitfest. If you have a patch that was moved,
and you intend to rewrite enough of it to warrant a resubmission then
please go in and close your entry.

Finally, during this commitfest whereas a lot of patches get reviewed
and committed, about 80 patches have been moved to the next commitfest
without any reviews. We clearly need more bandwidth among reviewers
and committers to cope with the increasing size of the commitfests.
From another point of view, those patches are likely to have a long
discussion and a certain level of difficulty, so it's relatively hard
for beginners. It would be good if the experienced hackers more focus
on such difficult patches.  It's a just idea but I thought that it
would be helpful if we could have something like a mark on CF app
indicating the patch is good for beginners like we have [E] mark in
the ToDo wiki page[1]. This would be a good indicator for new-coming
contributors to choose the patch to review and might help increase the
reviewers. Which could help that the experienced hackers can focus on
other patches. The mark can be added/edited either by the patch author
or CFM.

I've closed this commitfest. If you have feedback or comment on my CFM
work, please tell me here or by directly emailing me. Thanks to
everyone who participated in writing, reviewing a patch, joining the
discussion, and the commitfest!

Regards,

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed.

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 23:33 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I've closed this commitfest. If you have feedback or comment on my CFM
> work, please tell me here or by directly emailing me.

I think you did an excellent job.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed.

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
Le lun. 1 févr. 2021 à 22:53, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> a écrit :
On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 23:33 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I've closed this commitfest. If you have feedback or comment on my CFM
> work, please tell me here or by directly emailing me.

I think you did an excellent job.

definitely agreed, thanks a lot for running the commit fest Sawada-san!

Next Commitfest Manager.

От
Ibrar Ahmed
Дата:
As Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed. I am volunteering to manage next commitfest.

--
Ibrar Ahmed

"tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com"
From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
> about 1 month. But if I confirm that the author has a plan to update
> the patch soon I didn't close them. So I might have left too many
> patches for the next commitfest. If you have a patch that was moved,
> and you intend to rewrite enough of it to warrant a resubmission then
> please go in and close your entry.

I respect your kind treatment like this.  A great job and great thanks!  It must have been tough to shift through so
manydifficult discussions.

> From another point of view, those patches are likely to have a long
> discussion and a certain level of difficulty, so it's relatively hard
> for beginners. It would be good if the experienced hackers more focus
> on such difficult patches.  It's a just idea but I thought that it
> would be helpful if we could have something like a mark on CF app
> indicating the patch is good for beginners like we have [E] mark in
> the ToDo wiki page[1]. This would be a good indicator for new-coming
> contributors to choose the patch to review and might help increase the
> reviewers. Which could help that the experienced hackers can focus on
> other patches. The mark can be added/edited either by the patch author
> or CFM.

+10
Or maybe we can add some difficulty score like e-commerce's review score, so that multiple people (patch author(s),
seriouspersistent reviewers, CFM, and others who had a look but gave up reviewing) can reflect their impressions.

Further, something like stars or "Likes" could be encouraging (while 0 count may be discouraging for the author.)
Also, I'd be happy if I could know the patch set size -- the total of the last line of diffstat for each patch file.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa

Re: Commitfest 2021-01 is now closed.

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 7:16 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le lun. 1 févr. 2021 à 22:53, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> a écrit :
>>
>> On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 23:33 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> > I've closed this commitfest. If you have feedback or comment on my CFM
>> > work, please tell me here or by directly emailing me.
>>
>> I think you did an excellent job.

+1

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Next Commitfest Manager.

От
Ibrar Ahmed
Дата:
Hi,
Anyone else already volunteers that? It is my first time so need some access, if all agree.