Обсуждение: Logical replication alternative

Logical replication alternative

От
Yambu
Дата:
Hi

May i know what is the alternative to logical replication if i want to replicate a few tables on postgres v10?

regards

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Johannes Truschnigg
Дата:
Hi Yambu,

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 12:55:02PM +0200, Yambu wrote:
> Hi
>
> May i know what is the alternative to logical replication if i want to
> replicate a few tables on postgres v10?

You may want to look into SkyTools[0], which provide the infrastructure to
enable trigger-based replication approaches via PgQ/Londiste.

[0]: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SkyTools

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes@truschnigg.info )

www:   https://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes@truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-email or attachments. Thank you.

Вложения

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Hi,

Why do you need an alternative to logical replication? Please tell us
why logical replication isn't for you.

Regards,

Holger

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Yambu
Дата:
Hi Holger

1. We want to update the few tables once a day
2. We want to avoid restart the mission critical database, changing wal_level requires a restart

regards

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Holger Jakobs

Okay,

updating some tables once a day isn't actually replication.

For this to happen, I would suggest you connect the two machines by using the Foreign Data Wrapper and then:

  • set up a foreign table
  • create a materialized view on the "slave" as "select * from foreign_table"
  • set up a job for refreshing the materialized view

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Yambu schrieb am 04.11.2020 um 11:55:
> May i know what is the alternative to logical replication if i want
> to replicate a few tables on postgres v10?

What about using foreign tables?
Then no replication would be required.

If that is to slow, you could create a materialized view on the
"secondary" server that is based on the foreign tables.

You can refresh the MVIEW multiple times a day.

The downside is that this isn't incremental, you would always copy
all the data.

Thomas

Re: Logical replication alternative

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 13:34 +0200, Yambu wrote:
> > Why do you need an alternative to logical replication? Please tell us
> > why logical replication isn't for you.
>
> 1. We want to update the few tables once a day
> 2. We want to avoid restart the mission critical database, changing wal_level requires a restart

I think that you should plan the restart - it is only a short downtime.

All the other solutions (Skytools, Slony, ...) are way more invasive:
they will create triggers on your precious database, which can slow
down data modifications considerably.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe