Обсуждение: [doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

[doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

От
torikoshia
Дата:
Hi,

The manual describes the size of pg_stat_activity.query
as below:

  | By default the query text is truncated at 1024 characters;

When considering multibyte characters, it seems more
accurate to change the unit from "characters" to "bytes".

I also searched other "[0-9] characters" in the manual.
I may overlook something, but apparently it seems ok
because of their contexts which are limited to ASCII
character or other reasons.

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION
Вложения

Re: [doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

От
Fujii Masao

On 2020/07/08 10:54, torikoshia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The manual describes the size of pg_stat_activity.query
> as below:
>
>   | By default the query text is truncated at 1024 characters;
>
> When considering multibyte characters, it seems more
> accurate to change the unit from "characters" to "bytes".

Agreed. Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.

For record, this change derived from the discussion about other patch [1].

Regards,

[1]
https://postgr.es/m/cd0e961fd42e5708fdea70f7420bf214@oss.nttdata.com

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Re: [doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 8 Jul 2020, at 04:25, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020/07/08 10:54, torikoshia wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The manual describes the size of pg_stat_activity.query
>> as below:
>>  | By default the query text is truncated at 1024 characters;
>> When considering multibyte characters, it seems more
>> accurate to change the unit from "characters" to "bytes".
>
> Agreed. Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.

+1 to commit this patch, following the link to track_activity_query_size it's
even specified to be bytes there.  IIRC the NULL terminator is also included in
the 1024 bytes which prevents it from being 1024 characters even for
non-multibyte.

cheers ./daniel

On 2020/07/08 16:17, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 8 Jul 2020, at 04:25, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020/07/08 10:54, torikoshia wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> The manual describes the size of pg_stat_activity.query
>>> as below:
>>>   | By default the query text is truncated at 1024 characters;
>>> When considering multibyte characters, it seems more
>>> accurate to change the unit from "characters" to "bytes".
>>
>> Agreed. Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.
>
> +1 to commit this patch, following the link to track_activity_query_size it's
> even specified to be bytes there.  IIRC the NULL terminator is also included in
> the 1024 bytes which prevents it from being 1024 characters even for
> non-multibyte.

Yes, so we should document "truncated at 1023 bytes" for accuracy, instead?
This might be more confusing for users, though....

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: [doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 8 Jul 2020, at 10:05, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020/07/08 16:17, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> Agreed. Barring any objection, I will commit this patch.
>> +1 to commit this patch, following the link to track_activity_query_size it's
>> even specified to be bytes there.  IIRC the NULL terminator is also included in
>> the 1024 bytes which prevents it from being 1024 characters even for
>> non-multibyte.
>
> Yes, so we should document "truncated at 1023 bytes" for accuracy, instead?
> This might be more confusing for users, though....

I think that's overcomplicating things, since we do (will) specify bytes and
not characters.

cheers ./daniel

On 2020/07/08 17:12, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> +1 to commit this patch, following the link to track_activity_query_size it's
>>> even specified to be bytes there.  IIRC the NULL terminator is also included in
>>> the 1024 bytes which prevents it from being 1024 characters even for
>>> non-multibyte.
>>
>> Yes, so we should document "truncated at 1023 bytes" for accuracy, instead?
>> This might be more confusing for users, though....
>
> I think that's overcomplicating things, since we do (will) specify bytes and
> not characters.

Agreed. So I pushed the proposed patch. Thanks!

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: [doc] modifying unit from characters to bytes

От
torikoshia
Дата:
On 2020-07-09 13:47, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On 2020/07/08 17:12, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 8 Jul 2020, at 10:05, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Yes, so we should document "truncated at 1023 bytes" for accuracy,
>>> instead?
>>> This might be more confusing for users, though....
>>
>> I think that's overcomplicating things, since we do (will) specify
>> bytes and
>> not characters.
>
> Agreed. So I pushed the proposed patch. Thanks!

Thanks for applying!

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION