Обсуждение: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

Given that we started breaking things, what about removing PL/Python2
support from the RPMs?

All major distros (including RHEL 7 have PY3 support, and I think it is
a good idea to stop support from packaging side as well. People who
want to upgrade will also need to finish porting to PY3.

Comments?

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-05-20 18:16, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> Given that we started breaking things, what about removing PL/Python2
> support from the RPMs?
>
> All major distros (including RHEL 7 have PY3 support, and I think it is
> a good idea to stop support from packaging side as well. People who
> want to upgrade will also need to finish porting to PY3.

ISTM that as long as distros ship Python 2, PostgreSQL can support it.
We don't necessarily want to give people more reasons to hesitate to
upgrade to PostgreSQL 13.

It might make sense to get rid of Python 2 in general, but it should be
independent of PostgreSQL 13.

Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2020-05-20 18:16, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> >Given that we started breaking things, what about removing PL/Python2
> >support from the RPMs?
> >
> >All major distros (including RHEL 7 have PY3 support, and I think it is
> >a good idea to stop support from packaging side as well. People who
> >want to upgrade will also need to finish porting to PY3.

I tend to agree with dropping python2- it's EOL and it doesn't make
sense for us to continue to depend on something that's no longer being
maintained.

> ISTM that as long as distros ship Python 2, PostgreSQL can support it. We
> don't necessarily want to give people more reasons to hesitate to upgrade to
> PostgreSQL 13.

I disagree with this- there's always reasons people will have to not
upgrade to the new major version, this isn't any different from other
reasons.

> It might make sense to get rid of Python 2 in general, but it should be
> independent of PostgreSQL 13.

This doesn't make any sense at all- how would getting rid of it be done
independently of the release?  I certainly don't think we could drop
support as of version 13.3 or some such, and considering python2 is
officially EOL and dead, we would be effectively shipping support for
something that isn't supported, and hadn't been for nearly a year prior.

+1 to dropping support for python2.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 19:06 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > It might make sense to get rid of Python 2 in general, but it
> should be
> > independent of PostgreSQL 13.
>
> This doesn't make any sense at all- how would getting rid of it be
> done
> independently of the release?  I certainly don't think we could drop
> support as of version 13.3 or some such, and considering python2 is
> officially EOL and dead, we would be effectively shipping support for
> something that isn't supported, and hadn't been for nearly a year
> prior.

This is my point as well. We are not dropping PY2 support between 2
minor releases.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Removing PL/Python2 from PostgreSQL 13

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Devrim Gündüz
> Given that we started breaking things, what about removing PL/Python2
> support from the RPMs?

Fwiw, I did that already for PG12 in Debian. There were a few (3 or
so) complaints by users, but they all bought the "Python 2 is EOL"
argument.

The ugly part is that now there is only plpython3u, not plpythonu. But
that's not fixed in PG13 upstream either.

(All the older PG versions continue to have both 2 and 3 support on the
distros that still have python2.)

Christoph