Обсуждение: Turning on archive_mode by default

Turning on archive_mode by default

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

Does anyone know whether there is an overhead of turning on
archive_mode, and setting archive_command to /bin/true?

I'd like to do that in v13 RPMs, to get rid of another restart for
people who use pgbackrest, etc.

Comments?
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Turning on archive_mode by default

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-05-20 16:21, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> Does anyone know whether there is an overhead of turning on
> archive_mode, and setting archive_command to /bin/true?

The overhead is probably small, but what this would do is start the
archiver and report to stats views etc. that archiving is running and
progressing, even though it's doing nothing.  That seems pretty bogus
and confusing.

Most users[citation needed] don't even use archiving anymore, so this is
the wrong end of history to be fiddling with this setting.

Re: Turning on archive_mode by default

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 2020-05-20 16:21, Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> >Does anyone know whether there is an overhead of turning on
> >archive_mode, and setting archive_command to /bin/true?
>
> The overhead is probably small, but what this would do is start the archiver
> and report to stats views etc. that archiving is running and progressing,
> even though it's doing nothing.  That seems pretty bogus and confusing.

I tend to agree with it being confusing.  Simpler might be to just
depend on pgbackrest and automatically set up archiving and backups.

> Most users[citation needed] don't even use archiving anymore, so this is the
> wrong end of history to be fiddling with this setting.

No.  Lots of users use archiving and until we've got a real answer to
being able to perform bulk archiving at scale, that's not likely to
change.  pg_receivewal is absolutely not reasonable as a solution to
WAL archiving and management.

We've considered adding WAL streaming support to pgbackrest but it's not
much of a priority because it's rather ugly and not particularly better
than archive_command for most use-cases.  Of course, we'd certainly
encourage folks to work with us to develop it and send us patches for
it.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения