Обсуждение: Orphaned relation files after crash recovery

Orphaned relation files after crash recovery

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
Hi all,

During testing recovery, I realized that it's possible that a relation
file is orphaned (probably) forever if postgres crashes during
executing a transaction that creates a new relation and loads data.

After postgres crashing, the relation is recovered during crash
recovery and the transaction is regards as aborted, but that relation
file exists in database cluster. There seems no way for postgres to
know that that relation is now garbage and can be deleted. The entry
of that relation in pg_class exists but it is never detected even by
autovacuum because autovacuum's snapshot doesn't include that. In
addition, that relfilenode number is never be reused because the file
already exists. Therefore I think that such orphaned relation file is
left forever. The orphaned relation can be large if we are loading
large data or creating a large materialized view.

Is this a bug? Has this ever been discussed?

Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Orphaned relation files after crash recovery

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:20 PM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Is this a bug? Has this ever been discussed?

Hi Sawada-san,

There was this thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D0ULqYgM2aFeOnrx6YrtBg3xUdxALoyCG%2BXpssKqmezug%40mail.gmail.com

We chose that as a sort of simple test case to demonstrate the
machinery for performing any kind of clean-up work when when a
transaction aborts, even if there is a crash restart in between.  It's
going to take a little while to come back to that due to some on-going
redesign work on the undo proposal.

Re: Orphaned relation files after crash recovery

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 20:05, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:20 PM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > Is this a bug? Has this ever been discussed?
>
> Hi Sawada-san,
>
> There was this thread:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D0ULqYgM2aFeOnrx6YrtBg3xUdxALoyCG%2BXpssKqmezug%40mail.gmail.com
>
> We chose that as a sort of simple test case to demonstrate the
> machinery for performing any kind of clean-up work when when a
> transaction aborts, even if there is a crash restart in between.  It's
> going to take a little while to come back to that due to some on-going
> redesign work on the undo proposal.

Thank you! That's a good use case of undo logging. I'm looking forward
to the new patch.

Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/