Обсуждение: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
When making build system changes that risk breaking the MSVC build
system, it's useful to be able to run the part of the MSVC build tools
that read the makefiles and produce the project files under a
not-Windows platform.  This part does not really depend on anything
particular to Windows, so it's possible in principle.  There are some
minor dependencies on Windows, however, that need to be worked around.
I have had some local hacks for that for a while, and I took a moment to
clean them up and make them presentable, so here they are.  Interested?

To test, apply the patch and run perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> When making build system changes that risk breaking the MSVC build system,
> it's useful to be able to run the part of the MSVC build tools that read the
> makefiles and produce the project files under a not-Windows platform.  This
> part does not really depend on anything particular to Windows, so it's
> possible in principle.  There are some minor dependencies on Windows,
> however, that need to be worked around. I have had some local hacks for that
> for a while, and I took a moment to clean them up and make them presentable,
> so here they are.  Interested?
>
> To test, apply the patch and run perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .

$ perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .
Warning: no config.pl found, using default.
Unable to determine Visual Studio version: The nmake command wasn't
found. at /home/ioltas/git/postgres/src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 92.
Is that the expected result?
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-02-13 13:04, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> When making build system changes that risk breaking the MSVC build system,
>> it's useful to be able to run the part of the MSVC build tools that read the
>> makefiles and produce the project files under a not-Windows platform.  This
>> part does not really depend on anything particular to Windows, so it's
>> possible in principle.  There are some minor dependencies on Windows,
>> however, that need to be worked around. I have had some local hacks for that
>> for a while, and I took a moment to clean them up and make them presentable,
>> so here they are.  Interested?
>>
>> To test, apply the patch and run perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .
>
> $ perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .
> Warning: no config.pl found, using default.
> Unable to determine Visual Studio version: The nmake command wasn't
> found. at /home/ioltas/git/postgres/src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 92.
> Is that the expected result?

No, I had apparently created by own fake "nmake" shell script some time
ago to work around that.  Here is a new patch with that taken care of, too.

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:24:43PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-02-13 13:04, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > When making build system changes that risk breaking the MSVC build system,
> > > it's useful to be able to run the part of the MSVC build tools that read the
> > > makefiles and produce the project files under a not-Windows platform.  This
> > > part does not really depend on anything particular to Windows, so it's
> > > possible in principle.  There are some minor dependencies on Windows,
> > > however, that need to be worked around. I have had some local hacks for that
> > > for a while, and I took a moment to clean them up and make them presentable,
> > > so here they are.  Interested?
> > >
> > > To test, apply the patch and run perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .
> >
> > $ perl src/tools/msvc/mkvcbuild.pl .
> > Warning: no config.pl found, using default.
> > Unable to determine Visual Studio version: The nmake command wasn't
> > found. at /home/ioltas/git/postgres/src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 92.
> > Is that the expected result?
>
> No, I had apparently created by own fake "nmake" shell script some time ago
> to work around that.  Here is a new patch with that taken care of, too.

With v2 I'm able to successfully run mkvcbuild.pl on linux and macos.  I don't
have any knowledge on compiling with windows, so I can't really judge what it's
been doing.

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

Дата:
Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 02:24:43PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> When making build system changes that risk breaking the MSVC build system,
>>> it's useful to be able to run the part of the MSVC build tools that read the
>>> makefiles and produce the project files under a not-Windows platform.

> With v2 I'm able to successfully run mkvcbuild.pl on linux and macos.  I don't
> have any knowledge on compiling with windows, so I can't really judge what it's
> been doing.

Yeah, I'm wondering exactly how this helps.  IME the typical sort of
breakage is "the MSVC build doesn't know that file X needs to be
included when building Y".  It seems like just building the project
files will teach one nothing about that type of omission.

I don't have any particular objection to the patch as given, it
just doesn't sound helpful for me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-02-13 16:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> With v2 I'm able to successfully run mkvcbuild.pl on linux and macos.  I don't
>> have any knowledge on compiling with windows, so I can't really judge what it's
>> been doing.
>
> Yeah, I'm wondering exactly how this helps.  IME the typical sort of
> breakage is "the MSVC build doesn't know that file X needs to be
> included when building Y".  It seems like just building the project
> files will teach one nothing about that type of omission.

The main benefit is that if you make "blind" edits in the Perl files,
you can verify them easily, first by seeing that the Perl code runs,
second, depending on the circumstances, by diffing the created project
files.  Another is that if you do some nontrivial surgery in makefiles,
you can check whether the Perl code can still process them.  So the
benefit is mainly that you can iterate faster when working on build
system related things.  You still need to do a full test on Windows at
the conclusion, but then hopefully with a better chance of success.

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

Дата:
> On 2020-02-13 16:36, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm wondering exactly how this helps.  IME the typical sort of
>> breakage is "the MSVC build doesn't know that file X needs to be
>> included when building Y".  It seems like just building the project
>> files will teach one nothing about that type of omission.

> The main benefit is that if you make "blind" edits in the Perl files,
> you can verify them easily, first by seeing that the Perl code runs,
> second, depending on the circumstances, by diffing the created project
> files.  Another is that if you do some nontrivial surgery in makefiles,
> you can check whether the Perl code can still process them.  So the
> benefit is mainly that you can iterate faster when working on build
> system related things.  You still need to do a full test on Windows at
> the conclusion, but then hopefully with a better chance of success.

I see.  No objection then.

            regards, tom lane

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 09:31:32AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The main benefit is that if you make "blind" edits in the Perl files,
>> you can verify them easily, first by seeing that the Perl code runs,
>> second, depending on the circumstances, by diffing the created project
>> files.  Another is that if you do some nontrivial surgery in makefiles,
>> you can check whether the Perl code can still process them.  So the
>> benefit is mainly that you can iterate faster when working on build
>> system related things.  You still need to do a full test on Windows at
>> the conclusion, but then hopefully with a better chance of success.
>
> I see.  No objection then.

None from here either, and the patch is working correctly.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-02-21 05:00, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 09:31:32AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> The main benefit is that if you make "blind" edits in the Perl files,
>>> you can verify them easily, first by seeing that the Perl code runs,
>>> second, depending on the circumstances, by diffing the created project
>>> files.  Another is that if you do some nontrivial surgery in makefiles,
>>> you can check whether the Perl code can still process them.  So the
>>> benefit is mainly that you can iterate faster when working on build
>>> system related things.  You still need to do a full test on Windows at
>>> the conclusion, but then hopefully with a better chance of success.
>>
>> I see.  No objection then.
>
> None from here either, and the patch is working correctly.

committed

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

Дата:
> committed

crake says that this doesn't pass perlcritic.

            regards, tom lane

Re: allow running parts of src/tools/msvc/ under not Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2020-02-21 21:25, Tom Lane wrote:
>> committed
>
> crake says that this doesn't pass perlcritic.

OK, fixed.