Обсуждение: Change browser in MacOS

Change browser in MacOS

От
Steve Hawes

Can anyone help me with changing the browser used by pgAdmin in MacOS Mojave.

I have Google Chrome installed and can see that there is a box for entering the Browser Command in the pgAdmin configuration but I cannot work out the syntax for getting Chrome to launch instead of Safari. Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve Hawes
CIO
FacebookLinkedInTwitter

T: 020 3355 9796
M: +34 681 259 532
E: steve.hawes@tmlep.com
W: www.tmlep.com
TMLEP | The Medico-Legal Experts Practice
Consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?
TMLE Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under number 08092743. The company's registered office is The Chestnuts, Brewers End, Takeley, Essex CM22 6QJ United Kingdom.

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the intended recipients. If you are not an intended recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

TMLEP may monitor email traffic data and also the content of emails for compliance purposes and to protect its business.

Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
richard coleman
Дата:
Steve,

Well I have mine set to launch chromium with this command:
chromium-browser %URL%

So I would imagine substituting the command to start chrome from the command line would suffice.

Just a thought,

rik.

[...]

"Strauch, Sheldon"
Дата:
Interestingly enough, I use Chrome exclusively and my Browser Command is configured to: /usr/bin/firefox %URL%
When selecting New pgAdmin 4 Window... the new window opens in Chrome. Seeing as firefox is not even installed, I believe in the absence of a working command pgAdmin 4 reverts to OSX's default browser, which I do have configured to be chrome.

HTH!

--

Look after your data, and your database will look after you. -- Simon Riggs

Sheldon E. Strauch
Data Architect, Data Services
O 312-676-1556
M 224-723-3878

Enova International, Inc.
This transmission is confidential and may be privileged or proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use the information in this transmission in any way. Please inform the sender immediately if you have received this transmission in error and permanently delete and destroy the original and any copies of the information.

Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

Can anyone help me with changing the browser used by pgAdmin in MacOS Mojave.

I have Google Chrome installed and can see that there is a box for entering the Browser Command in the pgAdmin configuration but I cannot work out the syntax for getting Chrome to launch instead of Safari. Any help appreciated.

"/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome" %URL%

Should do the trick. You need the quotes because of the spaces in the path.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

Interestingly enough, I use Chrome exclusively and my Browser Command is configured to: /usr/bin/firefox %URL%

I think you'll find that's the placeholder hint text, not a value. I'll bet you can't copy/paste it, and if you try to edit the field, it'll only let you add a new value, not edit what you see. Most OS's will display that in a lighter colour than normal text.

[...]

Sheldon,

The /usr/bin/firefox %URL% is the placeholder text that is used as an example for the browser command. I have tried with Chrome as my default browser and this works fine but I want to keep Safari as the default browser but use Chrome only for pgAdmin.

Following the reply I got from Richard Coleman and after a bit of Googling for the correct command I have found the syntax to be:

open -a “Google Chrome” %URL%

Hope this helps someone else as well.

[...]

cid:1682e178a07b43dd9c91

T:

020 3355 9796

M:

+34 681 259 532

E:

steve.hawes@tmlep.com

W:

www.tmlep.com

TMLEP | The Medico-Legal Experts Practice

cid:1682e178a07f49eec743

[...]

312-676-1556
224-723-3878

Enova International, Inc.
This transmission is confidential and may be privileged or proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use the information in this transmission in any way. Please inform the sender immediately if you have received this transmission in error and permanently delete and destroy the original and any copies of the information.

Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Patrick De Visschere
Дата:
Can someone tell were this command is saved, because I have to reenter it from time to time.

Regards,
P. De Visschere

The /usr/bin/firefox %URL% is the placeholder text that is used as an example for the browser command. I have tried with Chrome as my default browser and this works fine but I want to keep Safari as the default browser but use Chrome only for pgAdmin.

Following the reply I got from Richard Coleman and after a bit of Googling for the correct command I have found the syntax to be:

open -a “Google Chrome” %URL%

Hope this helps someone else as well.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Hawes
CIO
<image743000.png>

T: 020 3355 9796
M: +34 681 259 532
E: steve.hawes@tmlep.com
W: www.tmlep.com
<image804001.png>
<image852002.png>Consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?
[...]

<image001.png>

T:
M:
E:
W:
<image003.png>
[...]

Patrick De Visschere                                                        051/46 70 25
Pensionaatstraat 25
8755 Ruiselede

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Dave Page

Can someone tell were this command is saved, because I have to reenter it from time to time.

~/Library/Preferences/org.pgadmin.pgadmin4.plist on macOS.

[...]

Дата:
Dave,

Thanks but this is my ~/Library/Preferences/org.pgadmin.pgadmin4.plist with the Browser command filled in
(I have removed the content of the data tags)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Browser.Geometry</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Browser.LastSaveLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>Browser.WindowState</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>NSNavLastRootDirectory</key>
<string></string>
<key>NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForSaveMode</key>
<string></string>
<key>NSStatusItem Preferred Position Item-0</key>
<real></real>
</dict>
</plist>

I don’t see the command.

Regards,

P. De Visschere

[...]

Дата:
Hi

[...]

That looks like a file from version 1 - well, the first couple of sections. The last section doesn't match anything in pgAdmin's history.

I would suggest renaming the file and letting pgAdmin recreate it. I would expect a version 3 file to be binary and require editing directly in xcode.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Patrick De Visschere
Дата:
Dave,

I removed all pgadmin-related .plist’s file in ~/Library.
When starting the server my modified Browser command was still present (but no .plist file).
I shutted down/started it up several times, logged out and in, still no .plist file: the Browser command is stored somewhere else. I couldn’t find it, it’s not in my user directory, maybe in a (python) cache somewhere.

Only when I modified the Browser command, an org.pgadmin.pgadmin4.plist file was created. It looks very much like the previous one but now has an entry with the Browser command:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ApplicationPath</key>
<string></string>
<key>Browser.Geometry</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Browser.LastSaveLocation</key>
<string>...</string>
<key>Browser.WindowState</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>BrowserCommand</key>
<string>open -a /Applications/Safari.app %URL%</string>
<key>FixedPort</key>
<false/>
<key>NSNavLastRootDirectory</key>
<string>~/Downloads</string>
<key>NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForSaveMode</key>
<string>...</string>
<key>NSStatusItem Preferred Position Item-0</key>
<real>...</real>
<key>PortNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PythonPath</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

I hope it’ll stick now.

Thanks

P. De Visschere

[...]

Дата:
Dave,

Unfortunately it does not stick.
I’ve noticed that the org.pgadmin.pgadmin4.plist file is overwritten (probabaly once a day) without the <key>Browser Command</key>; the Browser Command is still visible in the Configure… window (as long as the pgadmin server is running). I think this overwriting does only occur when there is no pgadmin-window actually running in a Browser.

Regards,

P. De Visschere

[...]

Дата:
Hi

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Patrick De Visschere
<pdvisschere@edpnet.be> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Unfortunately it does not stick.
> I’ve noticed that the org.pgadmin.pgadmin4.plist file is overwritten (probabaly once a day) without the <key>Browser
Command</key>;the Browser Command is still visible in the Configure… window (as long as the pgadmin server is running).
Ithink this overwriting does only occur when there is no pgadmin-window actually running in a Browser.

The code will only ever write that preferences file if you click the
OK button on the configuration dialogue - it doesn't ever do it on
it's own. Have you opened the dialogue when the settings have been
lost?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Patrick De Visschere
Дата:
Dave,

Apparently something weird is going on, but I did not save the configuration.

I saved it some days ago and today I noticed that the preferences file was overwritten:

As you can see a new file was created, and I was asleep at that time.
On a previous occasion I checked with “Time Machine” and noticed that a new file was created every day. I suppose this happens when no pgadmin-window is open in any browser.

As long as I keep the server running, the browser command remains visible in the config window:

The command is also executed correctly when asking for a new window, although the browser command is not longer present in the preferences file.
(I’m still running version 3.x)

Regards,

P. De Visschere

On 23 Jan 2019, at 13:26, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

[...]

Дата:
Hi

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 3:46 PM Patrick De Visschere <pdvisschere@edpnet.be> wrote:
Dave,

Apparently something weird is going on, but I did not save the configuration.

I saved it some days ago and today I noticed that the preferences file was overwritten:

As you can see a new file was created, and I was asleep at that time.
On a previous occasion I checked with “Time Machine” and noticed that a new file was created every day. I suppose this happens when no pgadmin-window is open in any browser.

As long as I keep the server running, the browser command remains visible in the config window:

The command is also executed correctly when asking for a new window, although the browser command is not longer present in the preferences file.
(I’m still running version 3.x)

Yeah, that implies that the file is being changed from underneath pgAdmin, as it'll only read it on startup iirc.

If you shut down pgAdmin, remove (well, rename) the file, and then leave your machine overnight, does it re-appear?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Patrick De Visschere
Дата:
Dave,

When the server is not running the .plist file is not overwritten (at 00:59);
I’ve then renamed the .plist file. When I start the server again no .plist file appears. The config window stills contains my custom Browser Command; A new .plist file is generated when I change this command and click OK.

The .plist file contains among other things the Browser.LastSaveLocation. My new .plist file as well as the overwritten one contain a location which is nearly a year old. I don’t know what specific location is saved here but I have saved .sql and .csv files in the mean time.

pgadmin4 must be storing information somewhere else and I’ve not been able to find that location: it’s not within my user directory as far as I can see.

The .plist file is overwritten at 00:59, which is when a backup is scheduled. But lots of other things happen at that time, e.g. switchting of system.log files …
I’ll check next what happens if no backup is scheduled.

Since nobody else seems to experience this problem, it’s probbaly related to my specific set-up.

Regards,

P. De Visschere

On 24 Jan 2019, at 10:32, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

Hi

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 3:46 PM Patrick De Visschere <pdvisschere@edpnet.be> wrote:
Dave,

Apparently something weird is going on, but I did not save the configuration.

I saved it some days ago and today I noticed that the preferences file was overwritten:

<pgadmin.jpeg>

As you can see a new file was created, and I was asleep at that time.
On a previous occasion I checked with “Time Machine” and noticed that a new file was created every day. I suppose this happens when no pgadmin-window is open in any browser.

As long as I keep the server running, the browser command remains visible in the config window:

<pgadmin_config.jpeg>

The command is also executed correctly when asking for a new window, although the browser command is not longer present in the preferences file.
(I’m still running version 3.x)

Yeah, that implies that the file is being changed from underneath pgAdmin, as it'll only read it on startup iirc.

If you shut down pgAdmin, remove (well, rename) the file, and then leave your machine overnight, does it re-appear?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM Patrick De Visschere
<pdvisschere@edpnet.be> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> When the server is not running the .plist file is not overwritten (at 00:59);
> I’ve then renamed the .plist file. When I start the server again no .plist file appears. The config window stills
containsmy custom Browser Command; A new .plist file is generated when I change this command and click OK.

> The .plist file contains among other things the Browser.LastSaveLocation. My new .plist file as well as the
overwrittenone contain a location which is nearly a year old. I don’t know what specific location is saved here but I
havesaved .sql and .csv files in the mean time.

> pgadmin4 must be storing information somewhere else and I’ve not been able to find that location: it’s not within my
userdirectory as far as I can see.

> The .plist file is overwritten at 00:59, which is when a backup is scheduled. But lots of other things happen at that
time,e.g. switchting of system.log files …
> I’ll check next what happens if no backup is scheduled.

I honestly have no idea what's going on here. "LastSaveLocation" was
only used until v3.0 of pgAdmin 4 (when the entire file that it was
part of was removed as part of the change to use the system's web
browser), so unless you're using 2.x or 1.x, I don't see any way that
it's possible for pgAdmin to write that to the plist file.

> Since nobody else seems to experience this problem, it’s probbaly related to my specific set-up.

I think it must be. Something - I have no idea what - is apparently
replacing the file with a very old version.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Change browser in MacOS

От
Patrick De Visschere
Дата:
Dave,

I’ve tried to watch the process which does the overwriting, but last night nothing happened. I don’t know why not. Maybe because Safari was not running.
When I want to close a session usually I just close the Safari tabbed window and leave the server running. Isn’t it possible that a lot of code is still running then? Is there a way to close a session without stopping the server?

But I’ve found the main problem: prefs settings are cached on macos since macos10.9. This is done by a daemon cfprefsd; that is the mysterious location where the prefs-information is kept alive.
So, when removing a .plist file one must also kill one’s own cfprefsd process (killall -u username cfprefsd) to get rid of everything.
I now have a clean .plist with no more old stuff from previous versions.

On 25 Jan 2019, at 11:46, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

[...]

Дата:
Hi

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:21 AM Patrick De Visschere
<pdvisschere@edpnet.be> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I’ve tried to watch the process which does the overwriting, but last night nothing happened. I don’t know why not.
Maybebecause Safari was not running.
> When I want to close a session usually I just close the Safari tabbed window and leave the server running. Isn’t it
possiblethat a lot of code is still running then? Is there a way to close a session without stopping the server?

> But I’ve found the main problem: prefs settings are cached on macos since macos10.9. This is done by a daemon
cfprefsd;that is the mysterious location where the prefs-information is kept alive.
> So, when removing a .plist file one must also kill one’s own cfprefsd process (killall -u username cfprefsd) to get
ridof everything.
> I now have a clean .plist with no more old stuff from previous versions.

Good to know - thanks!