Обсуждение: pgsql: In v11,disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in

pgsql: In v11,disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in

Дата:
In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in HEAD).

Per discussion, JIT isn't quite mature enough to ship enabled-by-default.

I failed to resist the temptation to do a bunch of copy-editing on the
related documentation.  Also, clean up some inconsistencies in which
section of config.sgml the JIT GUCs are documented in vs. what guc.c
and postgresql.config.sample had.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20180914222657.mw25esrzbcnu6qlu@alap3.anarazel.de

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8f32bacc006692e63f137924d5849b3cb9f2d4d3

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                      |  87 +++++++------
doc/src/sgml/jit.sgml                         | 169 ++++++++++++--------------
doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml                  |  12 +-
src/backend/jit/jit.c                         |   2 +-
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                  |   2 +-
src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample |  15 +--

Re: pgsql: In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled bydefault in

Дата:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 09:24:46PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in HEAD).
>
> Per discussion, JIT isn't quite mature enough to ship enabled-by-default.
>
> I failed to resist the temptation to do a bunch of copy-editing on the
> related documentation.  Also, clean up some inconsistencies in which
> section of config.sgml the JIT GUCs are documented in vs. what guc.c
> and postgresql.config.sample had.
>
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20180914222657.mw25esrzbcnu6qlu@alap3.anarazel.de

It is good you mentioned something about this in the master branch so we
can make sure to mention jit as enabled by default in PG 12.  We missed
that announcement for parallalism in PG 10 because of the lack of a
commit.

Re: pgsql: In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled bydefault in

Дата:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 06:27:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 09:24:46PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> > In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in HEAD).
> >
> > Per discussion, JIT isn't quite mature enough to ship enabled-by-default.
> >
> > I failed to resist the temptation to do a bunch of copy-editing on the
> > related documentation.  Also, clean up some inconsistencies in which
> > section of config.sgml the JIT GUCs are documented in vs. what guc.c
> > and postgresql.config.sample had.
> >
> > Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20180914222657.mw25esrzbcnu6qlu@alap3.anarazel.de
>
> It is good you mentioned something about this in the master branch so we
> can make sure to mention jit as enabled by default in PG 12.  We missed
> that announcement for parallelism in PG 10 because of the lack of a
> commit.

Oh, this was backpatched to 11 so src/tools/git_changelog --master-only
isn't going to show the commit when I do the PG 12 release notes.  I am
going to have to remember this.

Re: pgsql: In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled bydefault in

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2018-09-21 20:00:30 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 06:27:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 09:24:46PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled by default in HEAD).
> > >
> > > Per discussion, JIT isn't quite mature enough to ship enabled-by-default.
> > >
> > > I failed to resist the temptation to do a bunch of copy-editing on the
> > > related documentation.  Also, clean up some inconsistencies in which
> > > section of config.sgml the JIT GUCs are documented in vs. what guc.c
> > > and postgresql.config.sample had.
> > >
> > > Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20180914222657.mw25esrzbcnu6qlu@alap3.anarazel.de
> >
> > It is good you mentioned something about this in the master branch so we
> > can make sure to mention jit as enabled by default in PG 12.  We missed
> > that announcement for parallelism in PG 10 because of the lack of a
> > commit.
>
> Oh, this was backpatched to 11 so src/tools/git_changelog --master-only
> isn't going to show the commit when I do the PG 12 release notes.  I am
> going to have to remember this.

How about creating a release-12.sgml now, and making a note of it?  We
don't have to fill it continuosuly, but there seems no harm in making
note of things like this ahead of time.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: In v11, disable JIT by default (it's still enabled bydefault in

Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 05:05:54PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-09-21 20:00:30 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > It is good you mentioned something about this in the master branch so we
> > > can make sure to mention jit as enabled by default in PG 12.  We missed
> > > that announcement for parallelism in PG 10 because of the lack of a
> > > commit.
> >
> > Oh, this was backpatched to 11 so src/tools/git_changelog --master-only
> > isn't going to show the commit when I do the PG 12 release notes.  I am
> > going to have to remember this.
>
> How about creating a release-12.sgml now, and making a note of it?  We
> don't have to fill it continuosuly, but there seems no harm in making
> note of things like this ahead of time.

Good idea --- done.