Обсуждение: Re: Who and How is responsible for released installations packagesand 3rd party packs? (e.g. on https://yum.postgresql.org/9.6/redhat/rhel-7.3-x86_64/)

What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?

+ adding more relevant mail list

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 08/01/2018 10:53 PM, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
Hi PG Community,

In my company I found that PG Installation on deployed OS Images are takne from here: https://yum.postgresql.org/9.6/redhat/rhel-7.3-x86_64/

We are using PG 9.6.5 or 9.6.7 + pgpool + plv8 + others

Some or RPMs for CentOS are taken from that URL (PG Installation, plv8).

My question is:
Who is building RPMs and uploading to that URL? What are the criteria to build one RPM or other and their versions?

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

https://yum.postgresql.org/

Why I am asking:
I saw on URL there are PG 9.6.8 and 9.6.9 - Are there maintained only latest 2 build releases?

plv8 - there are versions 2.0.0-1 and 2.1.0, since latest plv8 are already 2.3.7 and latest for 2.1.X is 2.1.3 contating major fixes

Thanks,
AlexL

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Hi,

On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 16:26 +0300, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
> What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which
> criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?

Latest versions of PL/v8 does not build on RHEL/Fedora anymore, at least from
the package build point of view. RPMs are not supposed to download extra
dependencies from elsewhere.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Devrim Gündüz 2018-08-03 <1cdedaf455c4f326f31b103ab805d48da9914cb7.camel@gunduz.org>
> > What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which
> > criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?
>
> Latest versions of PL/v8 does not build on RHEL/Fedora anymore, at least from
> the package build point of view. RPMs are not supposed to download extra
> dependencies from elsewhere.

Fwiw, I stopped maintaining plv8 in Debian for that reason. The build
process is roughly equivalent to downloading all of chromium's
dependencies, and build v8 from that. v8 is no longer a shared
library, unfortunately.

Christoph

Вложения

On Friday, August 3, 2018 8:08:55 AM CEST Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 16:26 +0300, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
> > What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which
> > criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?
>
> Latest versions of PL/v8 does not build on RHEL/Fedora anymore, at least from
> the package build point of view.

Yes, packaging of plv8 is pretty complicated.  If one decided to ship RPM
package with plv8, it would mean maintenance of whole v8 language - which
is incredibly complicated (incompatible changes all the time, backporting
security fixes, etc.).

That's the reason why plv8 (and even v8 runtime) becomes dropped from Linux
distributions.

[1] https://github.com/plv8/plv8/issues/281

Pavel

On Friday, August 3, 2018 8:08:55 AM CEST Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 16:26 +0300, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
> > What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which
> > criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?
>
> Latest versions of PL/v8 does not build on RHEL/Fedora anymore, at least from
> the package build point of view.

Yes, packaging of plv8 is pretty complicated.  If one decided to ship RPM
package with plv8, it would mean maintenance of whole v8 language - which
is incredibly complicated (incompatible changes all the time, backporting
security fixes, etc.).

That's the reason why plv8 (and even v8 runtime) becomes dropped from Linux
distributions.

[1] https://github.com/plv8/plv8/issues/281

Pavel

Thanks all for responses.

Let me ask other dummy question:
plv8 RPMs were built by PostgreSQL Community for different OSes, or by those OSes vendors/community (e.f. RedHat/Debian, etc)?
And the same question about postgresql-server install packages themselves (RPMs, debs, etc)

Thanks in advance

On Fri, Aug  3, 2018 at 10:30:51AM +0200, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Friday, August 3, 2018 8:08:55 AM CEST Devrim Gündüz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 16:26 +0300, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
> > > What about 3rd party libraries like plv8 - Who and How (based on which
> > > criteria, which versions) build RPM and upload them there?
> >
> > Latest versions of PL/v8 does not build on RHEL/Fedora anymore, at least from
> > the package build point of view.
>
> Yes, packaging of plv8 is pretty complicated.  If one decided to ship RPM
> package with plv8, it would mean maintenance of whole v8 language - which
> is incredibly complicated (incompatible changes all the time, backporting
> security fixes, etc.).
>
> That's the reason why plv8 (and even v8 runtime) becomes dropped from Linux
> distributions.

Uh, who is building PL/v8 currently, and for what operating systems?  No one?

Re: Bruce Momjian 2018-08-10 <20180810192205.GC7840@momjian.us>
> Uh, who is building PL/v8 currently, and for what operating systems?  No one?

No one is likely correct.

Christoph

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 09:41:44PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Bruce Momjian 2018-08-10 <20180810192205.GC7840@momjian.us>
> > Uh, who is building PL/v8 currently, and for what operating systems?  No one?
>
> No one is likely correct.

Wow, OK.  That's bad news.  So PL/v8 is no longer a viable stored
procedure language?

Re: Bruce Momjian 2018-08-10 <20180810194407.GE7840@momjian.us>
> Wow, OK.  That's bad news.  So PL/v8 is no longer a viable stored
> procedure language?

It is bad news, the plv8 upstream is very pleasant to work with.

But now building plv8 means building v8 first, which means something
like downloading and building the whole chrome toolchain. That's 30 GB
of stuff, including binary blobs from the internet.

plv8 will work for anyone willing to go through that. It's just not
feasible to support it from a packager perspective.

Christoph

On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 21:49 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> plv8 will work for anyone willing to go through that. It's just not
> feasible to support it from a packager perspective.

+1 from me.