Обсуждение: Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions

Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2018-Jun-30, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions
>
> So ... buildfarm member skink has been reporting a valgrind failure
> during initdb since this patch went in.  However, I'm unable to reproduce
> such a failure here, and it's less than obvious how this particular patch
> could have caused a problem, and skink's report is pretty useless because
> it's providing only a numeric stack trace.  Thoughts?

Actually, older branches are failing in the same way, so it's not my
patch that caused it to fail.  Something must have changed in the system ...
Andres?

Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-07-04 13:15:19 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Jun-30, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
> > > Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions
> >
> > So ... buildfarm member skink has been reporting a valgrind failure
> > during initdb since this patch went in.  However, I'm unable to reproduce
> > such a failure here, and it's less than obvious how this particular patch
> > could have caused a problem, and skink's report is pretty useless because
> > it's providing only a numeric stack trace.  Thoughts?
>
> Actually, older branches are failing in the same way, so it's not my
> patch that caused it to fail.  Something must have changed in the system ...
> Andres?

I spent a fair amount of time trying to dig into this. It appears to be
related to a binutils update. Everything built with a binutils version <
2.30.90.20180627-1 (in my case 2.30-22) works correctly with
valgrind. If rebuilt after an upgrade it doesn't.  Still trying to
narrow down further.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-07-04 20:33:05 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:

> > > So ... buildfarm member skink has been reporting a valgrind failure
> > > during initdb since this patch went in.  However, I'm unable to reproduce
> > > such a failure here, and it's less than obvious how this particular patch
> > > could have caused a problem, and skink's report is pretty useless because
> > > it's providing only a numeric stack trace.  Thoughts?
> >
> > Actually, older branches are failing in the same way, so it's not my
> > patch that caused it to fail.  Something must have changed in the system ...
> > Andres?
>
> I spent a fair amount of time trying to dig into this. It appears to be
> related to a binutils update. Everything built with a binutils version <
> 2.30.90.20180627-1 (in my case 2.30-22) works correctly with
> valgrind. If rebuilt after an upgrade it doesn't.  Still trying to
> narrow down further.

FWIW, I've reported this as a bug to debian. And figured out in the
course of collecting the necessary information that forcing gcc to use
the gold linker works around the issue.  Started a run on skink with
that, hopefully that resolves the issue.

Greetings,

Andres Freund