Обсуждение: Request: Revive the security-specific section

Request: Revive the security-specific section

От
Ian Maddox

Hello,

Google Cloud Blog recently published a guide on securing DBs in the cloud and tried to link to your latest docs on hardening Postgres, but all we could find is this doc from version 7. It appears that the knowledge from that page has been redistributed across the manual in versions 8+, making it difficult to point to a single authoritative resource. I'm writing to request that a single section on security be revived in a future revision of the manual.

Thank you,

Ian Maddox
Google Cloud Solutions Architect

Re: Request: Revive the security-specific section

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 5/2/18 18:59, Ian Maddox wrote:
> Google Cloud Blog recently published a guide on securing DBs in the
> cloud
> <https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2018/04/best-practices-for-securing-your-Google-Cloud-databases.html>
> and tried to link to your latest docs on hardening Postgres, but all we
> could find is this doc from version 7
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.0/static/security.htm>.

That seems of dubious use.  More than half the information on that page
is no longer applicable.

> It appears> that the knowledge from that page has been redistributed
across the
> manual in versions 8+, making it difficult to point to a single
> authoritative resource. I'm writing to request that a single section on
> security be revived in a future revision of the manual.

I see where you are coming from.  However, I think security concerns
exist in every aspect of the system.  So as a user when I'm dealing with
operating system integration, or schema design, or backups, or
replication, or monitoring, etc., then I want to know about the security
concerns on that subject.

Re: Request: Revive the security-specific section

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 5/2/18 18:59, Ian Maddox wrote:

> > It appears that the knowledge from that page has been redistributed
> > across the manual in versions 8+, making it difficult to point to a
> > single authoritative resource. I'm writing to request that a single
> > section on security be revived in a future revision of the manual.
>
> I see where you are coming from.  However, I think security concerns
> exist in every aspect of the system.  So as a user when I'm dealing
> with operating system integration, or schema design, or backups, or
> replication, or monitoring, etc., then I want to know about the
> security concerns on that subject.

Curiously enough, we got a request on the Spanish list today
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALhQua6tAY+b+oH10OOm24sank43quQoVnoZpPDO5r6YQ4eXow@mail.gmail.com
about a "hardening guide".  I think it is not completely out of the
question to have a separate slim section listing things to keep in mind
in order to harden a PostgreSQL installation.  It doesn't have to be
terribly thorough -- rather it'd be mostly links to other places in the
docs where detailed information about each element can be found.

Re: Request: Revive the security-specific section

От
Ian Maddox
Дата:
Alvaro,

That's exactly what I'd hope to see as well.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/