Обсуждение: pgsql: Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums

pgsql: Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums

This makes it possible to turn checksums on in a live cluster, without
the previous need for dump/reload or logical replication (and to turn it
off).

Enabling checkusm starts a background process in the form of a
launcher/worker combination that goes through the entire database and
recalculates checksums on each and every page. Only when all pages have
been checksummed are they fully enabled in the cluster. Any failure of
the process will revert to checksums off and the process has to be
started.

This adds a new WAL record that indicates the state of checksums, so
the process works across replicated clusters.

Authors: Magnus Hagander and Daniel Gustafsson
Review: Tomas Vondra, Michael Banck, Heikki Linnakangas, Andrey Borodin

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1fde38beaa0c3e66c340efc7cc0dc272d6254bb0

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml                            |  65 ++
doc/src/sgml/ref/allfiles.sgml                    |   1 +
doc/src/sgml/ref/initdb.sgml                      |   6 +-
doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_verify_checksums.sgml         | 112 +++
doc/src/sgml/reference.sgml                       |   1 +
doc/src/sgml/wal.sgml                             |  81 ++
src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/xlogdesc.c            |  16 +
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c                 | 124 +++-
src/backend/access/transam/xlogfuncs.c            |  59 ++
src/backend/catalog/system_views.sql              |   5 +
src/backend/postmaster/Makefile                   |   5 +-
src/backend/postmaster/bgworker.c                 |   7 +
src/backend/postmaster/checksumhelper.c           | 855 ++++++++++++++++++++++
src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c                   |   5 +
src/backend/replication/basebackup.c              |   2 +-
src/backend/replication/logical/decode.c          |   1 +
src/backend/storage/ipc/ipci.c                    |   2 +
src/backend/storage/page/README                   |   3 +-
src/backend/storage/page/bufpage.c                |   6 +-
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                      |  37 +-
src/bin/Makefile                                  |   1 +
src/bin/pg_upgrade/controldata.c                  |   9 +
src/bin/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade.h                   |   2 +-
src/bin/pg_verify_checksums/.gitignore            |   1 +
src/bin/pg_verify_checksums/Makefile              |  36 +
src/bin/pg_verify_checksums/pg_verify_checksums.c | 315 ++++++++
src/include/access/xlog.h                         |  10 +-
src/include/access/xlog_internal.h                |   7 +
src/include/catalog/catversion.h                  |   2 +-
src/include/catalog/pg_control.h                  |   1 +
src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h                     |   5 +
src/include/pgstat.h                              |   4 +-
src/include/postmaster/checksumhelper.h           |  31 +
src/include/storage/bufpage.h                     |   1 +
src/include/storage/checksum.h                    |   7 +
src/test/Makefile                                 |   3 +-
src/test/checksum/.gitignore                      |   2 +
src/test/checksum/Makefile                        |  24 +
src/test/checksum/README                          |  22 +
src/test/checksum/t/001_standby_checksum.pl       | 101 +++
src/test/isolation/expected/checksum_cancel.out   |  27 +
src/test/isolation/expected/checksum_enable.out   |  27 +
src/test/isolation/isolation_schedule             |   4 +
src/test/isolation/specs/checksum_cancel.spec     |  47 ++
src/test/isolation/specs/checksum_enable.spec     |  70 ++

Re: pgsql: Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums
>
> This makes it possible to turn checksums on in a live cluster, without
> the previous need for dump/reload or logical replication (and to turn it
> off).
>
> Enabling checkusm starts a background process in the form of a
> launcher/worker combination that goes through the entire database and
> recalculates checksums on each and every page. Only when all pages have
> been checksummed are they fully enabled in the cluster. Any failure of
> the process will revert to checksums off and the process has to be
> started.
>
> This adds a new WAL record that indicates the state of checksums, so
> the process works across replicated clusters.

This has broken the buildfarm's cross-version upgrade testing (yes, we
do it for same-version upgrade as well as previous version upgrade).

For now I have fixed crake by adding code to disable checksums in the
saved cluster. That at least will send crake green. Not sure if it's
the fix we want, though. Maybe we should test if checksums are enabled
on the upgraded cluster and if so enable them on the new cluster via
initdb. When we decide on the best fix I will put out a new release.

cheers

andrew

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums
>
> This makes it possible to turn checksums on in a live cluster, without
> the previous need for dump/reload or logical replication (and to turn it
> off).
>
> Enabling checkusm starts a background process in the form of a
> launcher/worker combination that goes through the entire database and
> recalculates checksums on each and every page. Only when all pages have
> been checksummed are they fully enabled in the cluster. Any failure of
> the process will revert to checksums off and the process has to be
> started.
>
> This adds a new WAL record that indicates the state of checksums, so
> the process works across replicated clusters.

This has broken the buildfarm's cross-version upgrade testing (yes, we
do it for same-version upgrade as well as previous version upgrade).

For now I have fixed crake by adding code to disable checksums in the
saved cluster. That at least will send crake green. Not sure if it's
the fix we want, though. Maybe we should test if checksums are enabled
on the upgraded cluster and if so enable them on the new cluster via
initdb. When we decide on the best fix I will put out a new release.

I'm unsure of why it actually leaves the cluster with checksums on. Which steps leaves it with checksums on? The last step of the checksum specific tests actually turns them *off* again. At which point in the series does it actually get the cluster to upgrade?

--

Re: pgsql: Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:
>> > Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums
>> >
>> > This makes it possible to turn checksums on in a live cluster, without
>> > the previous need for dump/reload or logical replication (and to turn it
>> > off).
>> >
>> > Enabling checkusm starts a background process in the form of a
>> > launcher/worker combination that goes through the entire database and
>> > recalculates checksums on each and every page. Only when all pages have
>> > been checksummed are they fully enabled in the cluster. Any failure of
>> > the process will revert to checksums off and the process has to be
>> > started.
>> >
>> > This adds a new WAL record that indicates the state of checksums, so
>> > the process works across replicated clusters.
>> >

>> This has broken the buildfarm's cross-version upgrade testing (yes, we
>> do it for same-version upgrade as well as previous version upgrade).
>>
>> For now I have fixed crake by adding code to disable checksums in the
>> saved cluster. That at least will send crake green. Not sure if it's
>> the fix we want, though. Maybe we should test if checksums are enabled
>> on the upgraded cluster and if so enable them on the new cluster via
>> initdb. When we decide on the best fix I will put out a new release.
>

> I'm unsure of why it actually leaves the cluster with checksums on. Which
> steps leaves it with checksums on? The last step of the checksum specific
> tests actually turns them *off* again. At which point in the series does it
> actually get the cluster to upgrade?

At the time the "old" datadir is copied to be upgraded by this module,
the following test sets have been run against it on crake:

                                          'InstallCheck-C',
                                          'RedisFDW-installcheck-C'
                                          'FileTextArrayFDW-installcheck-C'
                                          'IsolationCheck',
                                          'PLCheck-C',
                                          'ContribCheck-C',
                                          'TestModulesCheck-C',

cheers

andrew

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>> wrote:
>> > Allow on-line enabling and disabling of data checksums
>> >
>> > This makes it possible to turn checksums on in a live cluster, without
>> > the previous need for dump/reload or logical replication (and to turn it
>> > off).
>> >
>> > Enabling checkusm starts a background process in the form of a
>> > launcher/worker combination that goes through the entire database and
>> > recalculates checksums on each and every page. Only when all pages have
>> > been checksummed are they fully enabled in the cluster. Any failure of
>> > the process will revert to checksums off and the process has to be
>> > started.
>> >
>> > This adds a new WAL record that indicates the state of checksums, so
>> > the process works across replicated clusters.
>> >

>> This has broken the buildfarm's cross-version upgrade testing (yes, we
>> do it for same-version upgrade as well as previous version upgrade).
>>
>> For now I have fixed crake by adding code to disable checksums in the
>> saved cluster. That at least will send crake green. Not sure if it's
>> the fix we want, though. Maybe we should test if checksums are enabled
>> on the upgraded cluster and if so enable them on the new cluster via
>> initdb. When we decide on the best fix I will put out a new release.
>

> I'm unsure of why it actually leaves the cluster with checksums on. Which
> steps leaves it with checksums on? The last step of the checksum specific
> tests actually turns them *off* again. At which point in the series does it
> actually get the cluster to upgrade?

At the time the "old" datadir is copied to be upgraded by this module,
the following test sets have been run against it on crake:

                                          'InstallCheck-C',
                                          'RedisFDW-installcheck-C'
                                          'FileTextArrayFDW-installcheck-C'
                                          'IsolationCheck',
                                          'PLCheck-C',
                                          'ContribCheck-C',
                                          'TestModulesCheck-C',

TestModulesCheck-C runs "make check" in src/test, right?

Can I actually see the output from that somehow? The buildfarm link seems to only show TestModulesInstallCheck-C. And that one doesn't seem to run the checksum checks at all. From the logs I can't even figure out where they run at all, except that the *isolation checker* runs them -- that seems wrong.