Обсуждение: Wiki editor request

Wiki editor request

От
Дата:
Dear PostgreSQL Wiki administrator

I would like to edit the following PostgreSQL Wiki page.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers

Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.

Could you please give me "editor" privileges?
My accunt is mototakak.
Mail address is mototaka.kanematsu@toshiba.co.jp

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu
Toshiba Corporation
Corporate Software Engineering & Technology Center

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 04/03/2018 08:08 AM, mototaka.kanematsu@toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL Wiki administrator
>
> I would like to edit the following PostgreSQL Wiki page.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers
>
> Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
> I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.
>
> Could you please give me "editor" privileges?
> My accunt is mototakak.
> Mail address is mototaka.kanematsu@toshiba.co.jp

I have expedited your new account cooling off period. Please log into
the wiki once, and then report back here. After that I can grant editor
privileges to your account.

Thanks,

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 2018-04-03 13:08, mototaka.kanematsu@toshiba.co.jp wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL Wiki administrator
>
> I would like to edit the following PostgreSQL Wiki page.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers
>
> Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
> I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.

This sounded potentially interesting, so I just did some
quick searching online.

This showed up, which sounds very, very worrying (to me):

   http://www.freshpatents.com/Mototaka-Kanematsu-Yokohama-invdxk.php

It looks like you (and Toshiba) have been filing patents for the
PostgreSQL related things you've been developing.

Is that correct, or have I just mistaken things? :)

Regards,

Justin Clift

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
Thank you for your response.

Actually, our team have some patents for database technology.
That may be related to PostgreSQL, or may be not.

In private judgment, I don't enforce a patent right for PostgreSQL.
Because we would like to join to PostgreSQL community.
We would like to propose our idea and to contribute source code to PostgreSQL in near future.

>> Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
>> I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.

This is first step in our plan.

Could you please give me advice or opinion?

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu

Justin Clift wrote on 2018/04/04 13:54:
> On 2018-04-03 13:08, mototaka.kanematsu@toshiba.co.jp wrote:
>> Dear PostgreSQL Wiki administrator
>>
>> I would like to edit the following PostgreSQL Wiki page.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Foreign_data_wrappers
>>
>> Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
>> I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.
>
> This sounded potentially interesting, so I just did some
> quick searching online.
>
> This showed up, which sounds very, very worrying (to me):
>
>    http://www.freshpatents.com/Mototaka-Kanematsu-Yokohama-invdxk.php
>
> It looks like you (and Toshiba) have been filing patents for the
> PostgreSQL related things you've been developing.
>
> Is that correct, or have I just mistaken things? :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 2018-04-04 06:44, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
> Thank you for your response.
>
> Actually, our team have some patents for database technology.
> That may be related to PostgreSQL, or may be not.
>
> In private judgment, I don't enforce a patent right for PostgreSQL.
> Because we would like to join to PostgreSQL community.
> We would like to propose our idea and to contribute source code to
> PostgreSQL in near future.

Toshiba has a good reputation, and your efforts to contribute to
the PostgreSQL Community are encouraged.

The patent aspect to things though *might* be problem.

Just from the point of view that if (for example) Toshiba contribute
something useful + important... that is also covered by a Toshiba
patent.

For that situation, it would introduce a risk related to Toshiba
changing it's enforcement approach.

It would be nice to believe that would never happen.  But some of our
more aggressive commercial competitors (eg Oracle) look for
potential weaknesses like this to leverage.  eg they'd make Toshiba
an offer that's "too good to refuse" to buy just these specific patents,
and then we'd be in a lousy situation. ;)

Personally, this is just me looking ahead at potential problems, and
trying to make sure they don't happen.  It's probably something that
should be discussed by the PostgreSQL Core team (now CC'd), just to
figure out if there's a good approach for working around stuff like
this.  Toshiba would be a welcome member of our Community after all. :)

>>> Because, we developed Foreign data wrappers for NOSQL DB.
>>> I would like to add the FDW to the FDW list.
>
> This is first step in our plan.
>
> Could you please give me advice or opinion?

This part (advice or opinion on this) I can't personally help with, but
some of the other members should be able to. :)

Regards and wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
Thank you for polite explanation.

I understood your concern. These days, patent issue is sensitive concern.

> On 2018-04-04 06:44, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
>> In private judgment, I don't enforce a patent right for PostgreSQL.

I mean if our code includes our patent, there are no-charge, royalty-free in that.

I would like to know cases of other companies regarding patent.
In my understanding, engineers of big companies contributed the source code to PostgreSQL community.
Such as Google, VMware, NTT group, Fujitsu and so on.
I think they have many good patents for database technology more than Toshiba.
They maybe ever faced same situation in myself. I would like to know how they avoided the situation.

Anyway, I'm waiting discussion by the PostgreSQL Core team.

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
On 04/03/2018 08:08 AM, mail@joeconway.com wrote:
> I have expedited your new account cooling off period. Please log into
> the wiki once, and then report back here. After that I can grant editor
> privileges to your account.

I logged in the wiki again.
Could you please give me "editor" privileges?

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 04/05/2018 03:43 AM, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
> On 04/03/2018 08:08 AM, mail@joeconway.com wrote:
>> I have expedited your new account cooling off period. Please log into
>> the wiki once, and then report back here. After that I can grant editor
>> privileges to your account.
>
> I logged in the wiki again.
> Could you please give me "editor" privileges?

Done!

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
On 04/05/2018 09:58 AM, mail@joeconway.com wrote:
> Done!

Thank you. I can see edit button.

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu

Re: Wiki editor request

Дата:
On Thu, Apr  5, 2018 at 10:54:09AM +0900, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
> Thank you for polite explanation.
>
> I understood your concern. These days, patent issue is sensitive concern.
>
> >On 2018-04-04 06:44, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
> >>In private judgment, I don't enforce a patent right for PostgreSQL.
>
> I mean if our code includes our patent, there are no-charge, royalty-free in that.
>
> I would like to know cases of other companies regarding patent.
> In my understanding, engineers of big companies contributed the source code to PostgreSQL community.
> Such as Google, VMware, NTT group, Fujitsu and so on.
> I think they have many good patents for database technology more than Toshiba.
> They maybe ever faced same situation in myself. I would like to know how they avoided the situation.
>
> Anyway, I'm waiting discussion by the PostgreSQL Core team.

Yes, you are right that companies that have patents are contributing to
Postgres.  We ask that people contributing to Postgres not study any
patented material so we are less likely to have a patent problem.

Re: Wiki editor request

Дата:
> On Thu, Apr  5, 2018 at 10:54:09AM +0900, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
>> On 2018-04-04 06:44, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
>>> In private judgment, I don't enforce a patent right for PostgreSQL.

>> I mean if our code includes our patent, there are no-charge, royalty-free in that.

> Yes, you are right that companies that have patents are contributing to
> Postgres.  We ask that people contributing to Postgres not study any
> patented material so we are less likely to have a patent problem.

Also, just to make our position clear: we do not accept code into
Postgres if there are known patents bearing on it.  An offer of a
license is not going to change that, regardless of terms.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Wiki editor request

Дата:
On Thu, Apr  5, 2018 at 02:47:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> I mean if our code includes our patent, there are no-charge, royalty-free in that.
>
> > Yes, you are right that companies that have patents are contributing to
> > Postgres.  We ask that people contributing to Postgres not study any
> > patented material so we are less likely to have a patent problem.
>
> Also, just to make our position clear: we do not accept code into
> Postgres if there are known patents bearing on it.  An offer of a
> license is not going to change that, regardless of terms.

+1

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
Bruce-san, Tom-san, thank you for your explanation.
I understood how they avoided the situation.

We have to except patent algorithm or code like other contributing companies in PostgreSQL community.
Is that correct?
If that's yes, we can keep PostgreSQL policy.
If that's no, I might have misunderstanding, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu

Bruce Momjian wrote on 2018/04/06 3:48:
> On Thu, Apr  5, 2018 at 02:47:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

>>> Yes, you are right that companies that have patents are contributing to
>>> Postgres.  We ask that people contributing to Postgres not study any
>>> patented material so we are less likely to have a patent problem.
>>
>> Also, just to make our position clear: we do not accept code into
>> Postgres if there are known patents bearing on it.  An offer of a
>> license is not going to change that, regardless of terms.
>
> +1

Re: Wiki editor request

Дата:
On Fri, Apr  6, 2018 at 09:52:28AM +0900, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
> Bruce-san, Tom-san, thank you for your explanation.
> I understood how they avoided the situation.
>
> We have to except patent algorithm or code like other contributing companies in PostgreSQL community.
> Is that correct?
> If that's yes, we can keep PostgreSQL policy.
> If that's no, I might have misunderstanding, please let me know.

I think when you said "except", I think you meant "exclude", and that is
right, you have to "exclude" using any patented ideas with Postgres.

Re: Wiki editor request

От
Mototaka Kanematsu
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote on 2018/04/06 9:54:
> On Fri, Apr  6, 2018 at 09:52:28AM +0900, Mototaka Kanematsu wrote:
>> We have to except patent algorithm or code like other contributing companies in PostgreSQL community.
>> Is that correct?
>> If that's yes, we can keep PostgreSQL policy.
>> If that's no, I might have misunderstanding, please let me know.
>
> I think when you said "except", I think you meant "exclude", and that is
> right, you have to "exclude" using any patented ideas with Postgres.

Thank you for your quick feedback.
I understood that well. We are going to keep PostgreSQL policy.

Best Regards,
Mototaka Kanematsu