Обсуждение: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

The money type has overflow handling in its input function:
Datum
cash_in(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
            Cash        newvalue = (value * 10) - (*s - '0');

            if (newvalue / 10 != value)
                ereport(ERROR,
                        (errcode(ERRCODE_NUMERIC_VALUE_OUT_OF_RANGE),
                         errmsg("value \"%s\" is out of range for type %s",
                                str, "money")));

but not in a lot of other relevant places:

Datum
cash_pl(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    Cash        c1 = PG_GETARG_CASH(0);
    Cash        c2 = PG_GETARG_CASH(1);
    Cash        result;

    result = c1 + c2;

    PG_RETURN_CASH(result);
}

Same with cash_mi, int8_mul_cash, cash_div_int8, etc.

cash_out doesn't have a plain overflow, but:
    if (value < 0)
    {
        /* make the amount positive for digit-reconstruction loop */
        value = -value;

doesn't reliably work if value is PG_INT64_MIN.

This leads to fun like:

postgres[2002][1]=# SELECT '92233720368547758.07'::money+'0.1';
┌─────────────────────────────┐
│          ?column?           │
├─────────────────────────────┤
│ -$92,233,720,368,547,757.99 │
└─────────────────────────────┘

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> This leads to fun like:
>
> postgres[2002][1]=# SELECT '92233720368547758.07'::money+'0.1';
> ┌─────────────────────────────┐
> │          ?column?           │
> ├─────────────────────────────┤
> │ -$92,233,720,368,547,757.99 │
> └─────────────────────────────┘

It seems like I could have a lot MORE fun if I did it the other way --
i.e. spent myself so deeply into debt that I went positive again.

Seriously, though, this same issue was noted in a discussion back in 2011:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/AANLkTi%3Dzbyy2%3Dcq8Wa3K3%2B%3Dn2ynkR1kdTHECnoruWS_G%40mail.gmail.com#AANLkTi=zbyy2=cq8Wa3K3+=n2ynkR1kdTHECnoruWS_G@mail.gmail.com

Long story short, I don't think anyone cares about this enough to
spend effort fixing it.  I suspect the money data type has very few
users.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

Дата:
> Long story short, I don't think anyone cares about this enough to
> spend effort fixing it.  I suspect the money data type has very few
> users.

Somebody did contribute the effort not too long ago to install that
overflow check into cash_in.  So maybe somebody will step up and fix
the other money functions.  I can't get too excited about it in the
meantime.

            regards, tom lane

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2017-12-12 11:01:04 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Long story short, I don't think anyone cares about this enough to
> > spend effort fixing it.  I suspect the money data type has very few
> > users.

I'm unfortunately not so sure :(.

> Somebody did contribute the effort not too long ago to install that
> overflow check into cash_in.  So maybe somebody will step up and fix
> the other money functions.  I can't get too excited about it in the
> meantime.

I can't really either. But I think that kinda suggest we ought to rip
that code out in the not too far away future.

The background is that I was working on committing the faster (&
correct) overflow checks, and wanted to compile postgres with -ftrapv.
Some rudimentary cash (as well as pgbench, rel/abstime) fixes were
required to make the tests succeed...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

Дата:
>>> Long story short, I don't think anyone cares about this enough to
>>> spend effort fixing it.  I suspect the money data type has very few
>>> users.

> I'm unfortunately not so sure :(.

There seem to be enough of them that we get pushback anytime somebody
suggests removing the type.

> The background is that I was working on committing the faster (&
> correct) overflow checks, and wanted to compile postgres with -ftrapv.
> Some rudimentary cash (as well as pgbench, rel/abstime) fixes were
> required to make the tests succeed...

Really?  We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
in the money code?  I think we could just drop such tests, until
such time as someone fixes the issue.

(OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
Y2038 is coming.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-12-12 16:47:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Really?  We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
> in the money code?  I think we could just drop such tests, until
> such time as someone fixes the issue.

Some parts at least (input & output), I think it's easy enough to fix
those up.

> (OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
> Y2038 is coming.)

I'm actually about to send a patch doing so, that code is one mess WRT
overflow handling.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-12-12 16:47:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Really?  We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
>> in the money code?  I think we could just drop such tests, until
>> such time as someone fixes the issue.
>
> Some parts at least (input & output), I think it's easy enough to fix
> those up.

There could be two ways to fix that:
1) Call the int8 equivalents with DirectFunctionCall2 and rely on the
overflow there, but this has a performance impact.
2) Add similar checks as in int8.c, which feels like duplicating code
but those are cheap.
You are heading to 2) I guess?

>> (OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
>> Y2038 is coming.)
>
> I'm actually about to send a patch doing so, that code is one mess WRT
> overflow handling.

Agreed. I think as well that those should be fixed. It does not seem
much complicated to fix them.
--
Michael

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-12-13 08:27:42 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On 2017-12-12 16:47:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Really?  We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
> >> in the money code?  I think we could just drop such tests, until
> >> such time as someone fixes the issue.
> >
> > Some parts at least (input & output), I think it's easy enough to fix
> > those up.
>
> There could be two ways to fix that:
> 1) Call the int8 equivalents with DirectFunctionCall2 and rely on the
> overflow there, but this has a performance impact.
> 2) Add similar checks as in int8.c, which feels like duplicating code
> but those are cheap.
> You are heading to 2) I guess?

I don't think 1) makes much sense. The error messages will be bad, and
the harder cases (e.g. cash_in()) can't share code anyway.

> >> (OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
> >> Y2038 is coming.)
> >
> > I'm actually about to send a patch doing so, that code is one mess WRT
> > overflow handling.
>
> Agreed. I think as well that those should be fixed. It does not seem
> much complicated to fix them.

I'm not following. I was trying to say that I'll send a patch removing
the abstime/reltime/tinterval code.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> > I'm actually about to send a patch doing so, that code is one mess WRT
>> > overflow handling.
>>
>> Agreed. I think as well that those should be fixed. It does not seem
>> much complicated to fix them.
>
> I'm not following. I was trying to say that I'll send a patch removing
> the abstime/reltime/tinterval code.

My mistake here. I thought that you were specifically referring to the
money data type here. I did not parse your previous message correctly.
--
Michael