Обсуждение: patch postgres user .bash_profile

patch postgres user .bash_profile

От
Pierre-Alain TORET
Дата:
​Hello,

First, thanks a lot for the packaging job you're doing with PostgreSQL :)

I'm sending you a little patch to improve a the usability of the user postgres by adding the binaries to the PATH
variablein its .bash_profile.

Don't hesitate to comment or criticize but I think it will make the life of user easier, especially those installing
thepackage for the first time.

I modified the file called postgresql-10-bashprofile, but from what I've seen it's not used yet in the spec file.

Re: patch postgres user .bash_profile

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2017-12-08 at 06:17 -0500, Pierre-Alain TORET wrote:
> I'm sending you a little patch to improve a the usability of the user
> postgres by adding the binaries to the PATH variable in its .bash_profile.
>
> Don't hesitate to comment or criticize but I think it will make the life of
> user easier, especially those installing the package for the first time.

Thanks for the patch.

The policy is adding the binaries which are cross-version compatible under
$PATH (/usr/bin in this case), and keep others in their own directories. Your
patch will probably break the latter, because we want users to specify full
path of the "other" binaries, so that things won't be broken.

So, unfortunately I will reject this.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: patch postgres user .bash_profile

От
Pierre-Alain TORET
Дата:
Devrim,
​

Thanks for your explanations, this makes perfect sense in rejecting this patch.
Sorry for the noise.

Regards,