Обсуждение: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Add hooks for session start and session end

These hooks can be used in loadable modules. A simple test module is
included.

Discussion:  https://postgr.es/m/20170720204733.40f2b7eb.nagata@sraoss.co.jp

Fabrízio de Royes Mello  and Yugo Nagata
Reviewed by Michael Paquier and Aleksandr Parfenov

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cd8ce3a22c0b48d32ffe6543837ba3bb647ac2b2

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c                        |   6 +
src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c                  |   6 +
src/include/tcop/tcopprot.h                        |   7 ++
src/test/modules/Makefile                          |   1 +
src/test/modules/test_session_hooks/.gitignore     |   4 +
src/test/modules/test_session_hooks/Makefile       |  21 ++++
src/test/modules/test_session_hooks/README         |   2 +
.../expected/test_session_hooks.out                |  31 +++++
.../modules/test_session_hooks/session_hooks.conf  |   2 +
.../test_session_hooks/sql/test_session_hooks.sql  |  12 ++
.../test_session_hooks/test_session_hooks--1.0.sql |   4 +
.../test_session_hooks/test_session_hooks.c        | 134 +++++++++++++++++++++
.../test_session_hooks/test_session_hooks.control  |   3 +
13 files changed, 233 insertions(+)

Re: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

Дата:
> Add hooks for session start and session end

Buildfarm doesn't like this one bit :-(
        regards, tom lane

On 11/15/2017 11:50 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Add hooks for session start and session end
> Buildfarm doesn't like this one bit :-(

Strange, it worked when I tested. I'll look into it.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

Дата:
> On 11/15/2017 11:50 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> Add hooks for session start and session end

>> Buildfarm doesn't like this one bit :-(

> Strange, it worked when I tested. I'll look into it.

Looks to me like the problem is that the test can only work in "check"
mode, not "installcheck" mode, because in the latter case you don't
get to do preloaded libraries.
        regards, tom lane

On 11/15/2017 01:56 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Buildfarm doesn't like this one bit :-(
>> Strange, it worked when I tested. I'll look into it.
> Looks to me like the problem is that the test can only work in "check"
> mode, not "installcheck" mode, because in the latter case you don't
> get to do preloaded libraries.

Yeah, that was my first instinct. But then how do the test_rls_hooks
tests succeed? They too have a shared_preload_library.

cheers

andrew

On 11/15/2017 02:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 11/15/2017 01:56 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> Strange, it worked when I tested. I'll look into it.
>> Looks to me like the problem is that the test can only work in "check"
>> mode, not "installcheck" mode, because in the latter case you don't
>> get to do preloaded libraries.
>>

> Yeah, that was my first instinct. But then how do the test_rls_hooks
> tests succeed? They too have a shared_preload_library.

Aha, it does

    LOAD 'test_rls_hooks';

at the start of its script. Of course we can't do that here.

Not sure what the best way to resolve this is. For now I'm inclined just
to override the installcheck target in the module's makefile and disable
it in vcregress.pl.

Maybe we need to shift from installcheck to check mode for these
modules. That would involve a buildfarm script change.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

Дата:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 11/15/2017 02:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Yeah, that was my first instinct. But then how do the test_rls_hooks
>> tests succeed? They too have a shared_preload_library.

> Aha, it does
>     LOAD 'test_rls_hooks';
> at the start of its script. Of course we can't do that here.

> Not sure what the best way to resolve this is. For now I'm inclined just
> to override the installcheck target in the module's makefile and disable
> it in vcregress.pl.

Yeah.

> Maybe we need to shift from installcheck to check mode for these
> modules. That would involve a buildfarm script change.

Seems like expending an awful lot of cycles in support of a rather trivial
feature.
        regards, tom lane

On 11/15/2017 04:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 11/15/2017 02:17 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> Yeah, that was my first instinct. But then how do the test_rls_hooks
>>> tests succeed? They too have a shared_preload_library.
>> Aha, it does
>>     LOAD 'test_rls_hooks';
>> at the start of its script. Of course we can't do that here.
>> Not sure what the best way to resolve this is. For now I'm inclined just
>> to override the installcheck target in the module's makefile and disable
>> it in vcregress.pl.
> Yeah.
>
>> Maybe we need to shift from installcheck to check mode for these
>> modules. That would involve a buildfarm script change.
> Seems like expending an awful lot of cycles in support of a rather trivial
> feature.

Possibly. At any rate I'm not going to do it immediately.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Andrew Dunstan
<andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 04:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>> Aha, it does
>>>     LOAD 'test_rls_hooks';
>>> at the start of its script. Of course we can't do that here.
>>> Not sure what the best way to resolve this is. For now I'm inclined just
>>> to override the installcheck target in the module's makefile and disable
>>> it in vcregress.pl.
>> Yeah.
>>
>>> Maybe we need to shift from installcheck to check mode for these
>>> modules. That would involve a buildfarm script change.
>> Seems like expending an awful lot of cycles in support of a rather trivial
>> feature.
>
> Possibly. At any rate I'm not going to do it immediately.

So why not just nuking it from the core code? The test module is
basically dead code now, and has been useful during review to check
that the positions of the hooks are adapted to run SQL queries at
session start and end. I don't mind to include it in my own set of
plugins on github instead.
--
Michael

On 11/15/2017 05:07 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Yeah.

>>> Seems like expending an awful lot of cycles in support of a rather trivial
>>> feature.
>> Possibly. At any rate I'm not going to do it immediately.
> So why not just nuking it from the core code? The test module is
> basically dead code now, and has been useful during review to check
> that the positions of the hooks are adapted to run SQL queries at
> session start and end. I don't mind to include it in my own set of
> plugins on github instead.

It's not dead at all. "make check" works just fine. It would be possible
to create a trivial buildfarm module to run that if we wanted to.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Add hooks for session start and session end

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 04:30 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> >> Maybe we need to shift from installcheck to check mode for these
> >> modules. That would involve a buildfarm script change.
> > Seems like expending an awful lot of cycles in support of a rather trivial
> > feature.
>
> Possibly. At any rate I'm not going to do it immediately.

This is something that's bitten us a few times with various test
modules, so I don't think that effort would be wasted.

Thanks!

Stephen