Обсуждение: Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

От
Justin Wyer
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> mallah@trade-india.com wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I installed postgresql8.0b1 a fews days back.
>>> I am listing the issues which i came across
>>> these many be already known issues or may not
>>> be bugs.
>>>
>>> 1. Automatic convertion to NTFS.
>>>
>>> Many NT based windows installation may not
>>> have formatted the drive with NTFS , i think
>>> the installer may assist or at leaset suggest
>>> that converting from fat --> ntfs is a snap.
>>>

>> OK, installer issue?  I don't think we should have the postmaster
>> complain in its logs, right?
>>

> I've seen contrary opinions, but I don't see how anybody could
> contemplate running *any* server on FAT. But then, people use Notepad
> to write programs, too.
>
> The installer should complain, but I guess that's it.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I don't know how anyone could run a server on windows, but I do know I
run my workstation on windows and I DO NOT use NTFS, for various
reasons, mostly because *nix has better fat support and I do dualboot my
workstation. What I would like to see is eiter 1. An installer that lets
u install on fat. OR 2. a zipped binary distro of the windows version so
i can happily run on fat, however that seems to have stopped which means
I have to compile it myself which is a hassle :/ I been using pgsql on
windows for ages now. For along time it was an old 7.1 or 7.2 port that
i was happy with, then I started using the 7.5 port even before pg_ctl
worked, and now I am stuck cos of this installer which is fine and well
and will make it easier for the mysql/php generation to get pgsql
running on windows, but I really have no problems with a zipped binary
distro, its what i always used. So what I am asking is can we please
have a zipped binary distro or an installer that lets u install on fat.
If NTFS checking gets coded into initdb.exe (as was suggested in the
initdb crash thread) and I end up having to take it of the out of the
source and build it myself just to run on FAT, then cos forcing people
to run on NTFS is just strong arm tactics, there is nothing wrong with
running on FAT in a development enviroment.

Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

От
"Paul Gimpelj"
Дата:
Justun Wyler wrote:
>What I would like to see is eiter 1. An installer that lets
> u install on fat. OR 2. a zipped binary distro of the windows version so
> i can happily run on fat, however that seems to have stopped which means
> I have to compile it myself which is a hassle :/ I been using pgsql on

I downloaded the 8.0.0beta1

Get job done by the postgres team. Very well done.

I too prefer the zip install over an msi way.
Pherhaps::methods  both can be offered

With the zip install I know that it will install properly.

I have installed several msi opnesource packages, and only the postgres zip
install did it right on XP.
with a local account. running as service.

Thanks,
Great job.

Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Justin Wyer wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
> The installer should complain, but I guess that's it.

> I don't know how anyone could run a server on windows, but I do know I
> run my workstation on windows and I DO NOT use NTFS, for various
> reasons, mostly because *nix has better fat support and I do dualboot my
> workstation.

Dual boot isn't a good argument any more. captive-ntfs offers write
access, using win32 modules.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

От
"Paul Gimpelj"
Дата:
I downloaded 8.0.0beta1 last night.

everything works great, Very well done.

One question. psql says it "warning console codepage <437> differes from
windows codepage <1252>.

During the install procedure, running postmaster , the ^C did not terminate
the postmaster or console window.

thanks
paul

Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

Дата:
Paul Gimpelj wrote:
> I downloaded 8.0.0beta1 last night.
>
> everything works great, Very well done.
>
> One question. psql says it "warning console codepage <437> differes from
> windows codepage <1252>.
>
> During the install procedure, running postmaster , the ^C did not terminate
> the postmaster or console window.

Yes, we know the ^C is a bug we are working on.