Обсуждение: InitDB Failure on install

InitDB Failure on install

От
Mario Ivankovits
> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: No error
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1196032, 03600).
> child process was terminated by signal 1
> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing cont

I have had the same problem if i tried to install postgresql within an terminal-session on your windows 2000
terminal-server.

Today (after a reboot) i tried it again from the console terminal, and guess what, it worked !!

Now i cant recheck, but maybe this failure happens only if you are connected through an terminal-session with your
server!?!?

Ciao,
Mario

RES: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Rodrigo Moreno"
Дата:
Yep,

I detect this too. The problem happens in terminal services session.

Regards
Rodrigo

Enviada em: quinta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2004 14:51
> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: No error
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1196032, 03600).
> child process was terminated by signal 1
> initdb: failed
> initdb: removing cont

I have had the same problem if i tried to install postgresql within an
terminal-session on your windows 2000 terminal-server.

Today (after a reboot) i tried it again from the console terminal, and guess
what, it worked !!

Now i cant recheck, but maybe this failure happens only if you are connected
through an terminal-session with your server !?!?

Ciao,
Mario

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for the next release.
It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts session' message
though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the first installation
I've seen that won't run in a ts session.

Regards, Dave.

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Maybe it works if ts is put in install mode before starting the install?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

Possibly, but other apps which I've seen refuse to install on TS
sessions have done so with TS in administrative mode in which there is
no install mode.

Can anyone test this? I can't start playing with our TS boxes :-(

Regards, Dave

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
To add a little to the confusion, this does not seem to occur using 2003
terminal server.  I have been building from source and running on this
setup for the last few months (actually been using rdesktop from a Linux
workstation -> win 2003 ).

Note that I have not tried to install by means of the installer, and
also have not tried to build the latest beta (last build was about 2.5
weeks ago).

regards

Mark

Mario Ivankovits wrote:

>> FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: No error
>> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1196032, 03600).
>> child process was terminated by signal 1
>> initdb: failed
>> initdb: removing cont
>

> I have had the same problem if i tried to install postgresql within an
> terminal-session on your windows 2000 terminal-server.
>
> Today (after a reboot) i tried it again from the console terminal, and
> guess what, it worked !!
>
> Now i cant recheck, but maybe this failure happens only if you are
> connected through an terminal-session with your server !?!?
>

> Ciao,
> Mario

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
Mario Ivankovits
Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

>> I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for the next release.
>> It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts session' message
>> though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the first installation
>> I've seen that won't run in a ts session.

Should be sufficient.

> Maybe it works if ts is put in install mode before starting the install?

I removed our postgres installation and tried to install it in "install
mode" through an ts session - it doesnt worked anyway.

So i went to our console and reinstalled it - with success.

--
Mario

Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failureon install)

От
Mario Ivankovits
Дата:
Dave Page schrieb:
<>I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for the next release.
It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts session' message
though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the first installation
I've seen that won't run in a ts session.
I dont know what the state of the "timzone detection problem" in the current postgresql 8.0 head will be, but if it isnt fixed for the next beta it might greatly help others if you could add a warning to the installer if the automatic timezone detection failed.

It cost me a couple of hours to figure out that neither hibernate nor I have done something wrong when i tried to update a record with a timestamp in its key.
I know, these "couple of hours" stands in no relation to what you guys spent to develop and support such a _great_ database. However a short:
"Automatic timezone detection failed. Please edit your postgresql.conf (timezone=) manually to reflect your timezone. This will be fixed in the release version of PostgreSQL 8.0" ;-)
would be nice.

--
Mario

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

OK, thanks. I committed a patch for this last night BTW. One thing that
struck me this morning though - the patch checks that %SESSIONNAME% ==
"Console" (as oppsed to something like ICA-tcp#45 as you might see on a
Citrix session); does the word "Console" get localised on non-English
versions of Windows? Can someone check this for me please?

Regards, Dave

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
Mario Ivankovits
Дата:
Dave Page schrieb:

>One thing that struck me this morning though - the patch checks that %SESSIONNAME% ==
>"Console" (as oppsed to something like ICA-tcp#45 as you might see on a
>Citrix session); does the word "Console" get localised on non-English
>versions of Windows? Can someone check this for me please?

At least here on our german installation the SESSIONNAME is also
"Console". I have checked it now.

--
Mario

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

Thanks.

Regards, Dave

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > I removed our postgres installation and tried to install it in
> > "install mode" through an ts session - it doesnt worked anyway.
> >
> > So i went to our console and reinstalled it - with success.
>
> OK, thanks. I committed a patch for this last night BTW. One
> thing that struck me this morning though - the patch checks
> that %SESSIONNAME% == "Console" (as oppsed to something like
> ICA-tcp#45 as you might see on a Citrix session); does the
> word "Console" get localised on non-English versions of
> Windows? Can someone check this for me please?

Um. Is this really a problem with the installer? IMHO it seems more like
a problem with the backend, so if we manage to fix that one be prepared
to remoev the check :-)

//Magnus

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

I've got no problem with that - but we've seen a number of reports of
this, and no hint that anyone has the foggiest why it's happening. At
least this will stave off a more reports next time round.

Regards, Dave.

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:

> > > OK, thanks. I committed a patch for this last night BTW.
> One thing
> > > that struck me this morning though - the patch checks that
> > > %SESSIONNAME% == "Console" (as oppsed to something like
> > > ICA-tcp#45 as you might see on a Citrix session); does the word
> > > "Console" get localised on non-English versions of Windows? Can
> > > someone check this for me please?
> >
> > Um. Is this really a problem with the installer? IMHO it seems more
> > like a problem with the backend, so if we manage to fix that one be
> > prepared to remoev the check :-)
>
> I've got no problem with that - but we've seen a number of
> reports of this, and no hint that anyone has the foggiest why
> it's happening. At least this will stave off a more reports
> next time round.

I'm working on the issue. First I have to fix the error messages though,
but I think I clearly have enough to reproduce it consitently now at
least.

//Magnus

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm, too much time playing with Citrix recently! I'll change it shortly
- thanks.

Regards, Dave

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

Actually I'm going to leave it as it is for now - that won't work on NT4
(even with TS afaict), and as it's possible the installer may be fixed
for NT in the future, I'd rather not introduce any further
incompatibilities.

Regards, Dave.

Re: InitDB Failure on install

От
"Dave Page"

Not according to MSDN
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termse
rv/termserv/detecting_the_terminal_services_environment.asp):

The following code sample shows a function that returns TRUE if the
application is running in a remote session and FALSE if the application
is running on the console. It works only on Windows 2000 and later.

> BTW, GetSystemMetrics would return 0 for unsupported SM_ values.

True.

Regards, Dave.