Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

От
"Jomar Andrade"
Дата:
Great job. I've tried it and here are the little details I noticed:
- I think  the service doesn't check the postmaster.pid before starting, so it fails after a abnormal Windows termination. The pid's ghost remains in the data directory after a crash...
- The button "Next" doesn't become available after the filling of the last box in some Windows. It "turns on" if we click anywhere, after that.
- The service is created Ok, but is set to start manually. By the way, I think that warning about the creation of the limited user with "logon as a service right" deserves a hole window, all for himself...
- The psql.exe asks the user's password, but says it is wrong even before it is issued.

Just a question: is there any possibility to give  user the option to install the Postgis extension? It would be nice, and that moment when the packages to be installed are chosen (odbc, jdbc, etc) is specially apropriate...

Congratulations for the outstanding work.

Jomar

Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

От
"Farai Mbira"

Hi

If you specify an installation directory, the installer ignores it and installs in default C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5. This is wrong. Any way round?. Locale is defaulting to C but the drop down list gives languages!

Regards

Farai

[...]

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

От
"Dave Page"

No, currently /contrib is not included. The initial aim was to get a
basic installer up and running with the server, a few api type
interfaces and a gui (I should point out that pgAdmin was Magnus' choice
- not that I objected too strongly :-) ).

We can think about adding additional stuff once the base installer seems
OK.

Regards, Dave

Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
Really? That sounds more like an issue in the TZ library, though - it
should manage without a TZ env var. Or are you just saying that it picks
up the wrong timezone?

Can you run initdb manually without the TZ environment variable set and
get the same error? And what is the actual error?

//Magnus

That's the intended behaviour, and exactly what happens on Unix. It's a safety feature to help prevent 2 instances of the server being started on the same cluster.

That's part of a whole other debate that's already logged :-) (http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000029&group_id=1000007&atid=129)

- The psql.exe asks the user's password, but says it is wrong even before it is issued.

Just a question: is there any possibility to give  user the option to install the Postgis extension? It would be nice, and that moment when the packages to be installed are chosen (odbc, jdbc, etc) is specially apropriate...

Congratulations for the outstanding work.

Thanks, regards,

Dave.

Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
These are the locales supported by Windows, there is nothing wrong with that.

As for the installation directory - that definitly sounds wrong. It does work for me. Though you have to change the directory once for each top-level feature, or they will go into different directories. We probably want to fix that. I see Dave has added it to http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000039&group_id=1000007&atid=126

//Magnus

If you specify an installation directory, the installer ignores it and installs in default C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5. This is wrong. Any way round?. Locale is defaulting to C but the drop down list gives languages!

Regards

Farai

If you specify an installation directory, the installer ignores it and installs in default C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5. This is wrong. Any way round?.

Thanks - logged: http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000039&group_id=1000007&atid=126

 Locale is defaulting to C but the drop down list gives languages!

Umm, yes. Not sure what the problem is - you think the locale should default to the system's language?

Regards, Dave

initdb problem in Korean OS.

От
"Korea PostgreSQL Users' Group"
Дата:
I had below message when I executed initdb command without setting  TZ environment variable.

D:\msys\local\pgsql>bin\initdb -D data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "films".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale Korean_Korea.949.

creating directory data ... ok
creating directory data/global ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory data/base ... ok
creating directory data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in data/base/1 ... FATAL:  could not select a suitable default timezone

DETAIL:  It appears that your GMT time zone uses leap seconds. PostgreSQL does not support leap seconds.

child process was terminated by signal 1
initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "data"

but, I successed to make database cluster with below command

> set TZ=Asia/Seoul
> initdb -D data --no-locale

I had above error messages in install temp log file to use Win32 GUI installer.
This problem is initdb can't set default TZ value without set TZ environment variable in Korean language OS.
(There are a same problem too in CJK language OS.)