Обсуждение: [JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

[JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Hello All,

I was just trying to test our app with postgresql 10.0 and the new jdbc driver 42.1.4 (since it wasn't working with
originaljdbc9.3) and I saw that the Compatible property was dropped for jdbc-42.1-4

. We use a lot of code written pre-jdbc 8.3 (which supported only arrays of primitives) , and we always used to set
Compatible=8.2as a work around. Unfortunately we never got the time to update the

code. So I changed useObjects=false and recompiled with maven, and this seemed to do the trick.

I know our code is (long) due to be updated, I just wanted to ask how much time we have, i.e. until when will the code
forhandling the legacy behavior (8.2) be there?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: [JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

От
Jorge Solórzano
Дата:
Hi Achilleas,

There is no time frame of releases, but
​breaking changes can happen in major releases like 43.0.0, and that can be probably the next year
, and even then, there nothing that stops you of still using 42.x.x, so I guess you have time to plan for a refactor of your code.

Jorge Solórzano

[...]

Дата:
Hello Jorge

​breaking changes can happen in major releases like 43.0.0, and that can be probably the next year
, and even then, there nothing that stops you of still using 42.x.x, so I guess you have time to plan for a refactor of your code.

Thanx for the info, we had problems with postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar against postgresql 10rc1 server, I guess we might have problems with 42 against 11 in the future?  just a side question, why was the original naming scheme <pgsql version> dropped ? I mean 42 or 43 do not imply directly the version.

Jorge Solórzano

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: [JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

От
Dave Cramer

​breaking changes can happen in major releases like 43.0.0, and that can be probably the next year
, and even then, there nothing that stops you of still using 42.x.x, so I guess you have time to plan for a refactor of your code.

Thanx for the info, we had problems with postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar against postgresql 10rc1 server, I guess we might have problems with 42 against 11 in the future?
You may which is why we suggest using the latest driver. It will be compatible with the latest versions of the server.

  just a side question, why was the original naming scheme <pgsql version> dropped ? I mean 42 or 43 do not imply directly the version.

The original naming scheme was dropped because there is no relationship between the driver version and the server version. We wanted to make that clear.

Re: [JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

От
Jorge Solórzano
Дата:
​breaking changes can happen in major releases like 43.0.0, and that can be probably the next year
, and even then, there nothing that stops you of still using 42.x.x, so I guess you have time to plan for a refactor of your code.

Thanx for the info, we had problems with
​​
postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar against postgresql 10rc1 server, I guess we might have problems with 42 against 11 in the future?  just a side question, why was the original naming scheme <pgsql version> dropped ? I mean 42 or 43 do not imply directly the version.

Sometimes PostgreSQL ​changes system catalogs between major versions, and that is why we always suggest using the latest driver, it's doesn't necessarily mean that there will be problems with 42 against 11 in the future, in fact the current driver supports PostgreSQL versions from 8.2+, which lead to confusing about what driver version to use... I suppose you where using PostgreSQL 9.3 and that's why you where using ​postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar when in fact a ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar could work just fine, as a side note the ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar should work with PostgreSQL 10 and it still have the compatible property.

For more info about the versioning change read the FAQ: https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/faq.html#versioning

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt

Re: [JDBC] jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Thanx Dave,
that pretty much sums it up.

[...]

Дата:
 when in fact a ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar could work just fine, as a side note the ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar should work with PostgreSQL 10 and it still have the compatible property.

For more info about the versioning change read the FAQ: https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/faq.html#versioning

Great to know, thanx.

--
Achilleas Mantzios