Обсуждение: Re: [BUGS] postmaster became multithreaded

Re: [BUGS] postmaster became multithreaded

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 04:32:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Wayne Pichotta <wpichotta@truecar.com> writes:
> > I just saw this in my logs:
> > LOG:  postmaster became multithreaded
> > DETAIL:  Please report this to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.
>
> Just reporting the bare fact of that message isn't helpful.

You can blame me for writing the message that way.  Wayne, thanks for
following the message's direction.

> The known causes of that involve doing something thread-oriented
> in an "unsafe" language such as pltclu, plperlu, or plpythonu,
> or perhaps bare C --- and even then, you'd have had to go well out
> of your way to make it happen in the postmaster process
> instead of some child process.
/* * On macOS, libintl replaces setlocale() with a version that calls * CFLocaleCopyCurrent() when its second argument
is"" and every relevant * environment variable is unset or empty.  CFLocaleCopyCurrent() makes * the process
multithreaded.

The reported message might be explained by starting the server with
lc_messages='something' in postgresql.conf, then deleting that line from
postgresql.conf and reloading the configuration.  Wayne, does that sound like
something you might have done?  If not ...

> However, you haven't told us what nondefault configuration you
> might be using, or what platform this is on, or even what PG version
> it is.  So it's impossible to speculate further.

... please post the output of the "pg_config" command and describe anything
unusual about your configuration.  (We do know this is macOS.)

> FWIW, that's only an informational log message emitted during a
> postmaster shutdown that occurred for some other reason.  Maybe
> it's related to the reason, but again we have zero info.  Preceding
> lines in the log might have provided some knowledge.

Agreed, a larger portion of log would help.

Re: [BUGS] postmaster became multithreaded

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:56:00PM -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 04:32:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Wayne Pichotta <wpichotta@truecar.com> writes:
> > > I just saw this in my logs:
> > > LOG:  postmaster became multithreaded
> > > DETAIL:  Please report this to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.

Reporter sent additional facts offline.  Root cause was interference from
antivirus software.

>     /*
>      * On macOS, libintl replaces setlocale() with a version that calls
>      * CFLocaleCopyCurrent() when its second argument is "" and every relevant
>      * environment variable is unset or empty.  CFLocaleCopyCurrent() makes
>      * the process multithreaded.
>
> The reported message might be explained by starting the server with
> lc_messages='something' in postgresql.conf, then deleting that line from
> postgresql.conf and reloading the configuration.

On further reflection, that sequence of actions would not elicit the reported
message.  Startup would fail with "postmaster became multithreaded during
startup" before you could complete the rest of that sequence.