Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On 2 April 2017 at 07:53, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> Note that this is already available indirectly, as show in the
> documentation.
>
>   SELECT some-boolean-expression AS okay \gset
>   \if :okay
>     \echo boolean expression was true
>   \else
>     \echo boolean expression was false
>   \endif

Am I the only one who thinks that even if \if got the ability to
evaluate arbitrary SQL queries I would probably still always write
things as above? I think putting arbitrary SQL expressions (let alone
queries) would make scripts just a total mess and impossible for
humans to parse.

Whereas storing the results in psql variables and then using those
variables in \if makes even fairly complex queries and nested \if
structures straightforward.  It would also make it far clearer in what
order the queries will be evaluated and under which set of conditions.

I don't think taking a simple command line execution environment like
psql and trying to embed a complete complex language parser in it is
going to result in a sensible programming environment. Having a simple
\if <single variable> is already pushing it. If someone wanted
anything more complex I would strongly recommend switching to perl or
python before trying to code up nesting arbitrary sql in nested
expressions.

--
greg

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

On 2 April 2017 at 07:53, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> Note that this is already available indirectly, as show in the
> documentation.
>
>   SELECT some-boolean-expression AS okay \gset
>   \if :okay
>     \echo boolean expression was true
>   \else
>     \echo boolean expression was false
>   \endif

Am I the only one who thinks that even if \if got the ability to
evaluate arbitrary SQL queries I would probably still always write
things as above? I think putting arbitrary SQL expressions (let alone
queries) would make scripts just a total mess and impossible for
humans to parse.

Totally agree.

Whereas storing the results in psql variables and then using those
variables in \if makes even fairly complex queries and nested \if
structures straightforward.  It would also make it far clearer in what
order the queries will be evaluated and under which set of conditions.

I don't think taking a simple command line execution environment like
psql and trying to embed a complete complex language parser in it is
going to result in a sensible programming environment. Having a simple
\if <single variable> is already pushing it. If someone wanted
anything more complex I would strongly recommend switching to perl or
python before trying to code up nesting arbitrary sql in nested
expressions.

I think so some local expression evaluation could be - but it should not be placed in \if statement

\expr issupported :VERSION_NUM >= 10000
\if :issuported

maybe \if can support the basic logic predicates NOT, OR, AND - but the operands can be only evaluated variables

Regards

Pavel

--
greg

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Hello Greg,

>>   SELECT some-boolean-expression AS okay \gset
>>   \if :okay
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that even if \if got the ability to
> evaluate arbitrary SQL queries I would probably still always write
> things as above?

> I think putting arbitrary SQL expressions (let alone queries) would make
> scripts just a total mess and impossible for humans to parse.

No. Pavel does not like them. Tom wants them to be eventually possible...
However, fine with me if it is decided that there will never be
server-side expressions after \if. A good thing is that it potentially
simplifies minimal \if client-side expressions.

> Whereas storing the results in psql variables and then using those
> variables in \if makes even fairly complex queries and nested \if
> structures straightforward. It would also make it far clearer in what
> order the queries will be evaluated and under which set of conditions.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I get it. The penalty I see is that it adds a
dummy variable which must be given a sensible name, and for very short
expressions this is not a win. But this is a minor point.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

Hello Greg,

  SELECT some-boolean-expression AS okay \gset
  \if :okay

Am I the only one who thinks that even if \if got the ability to
evaluate arbitrary SQL queries I would probably still always write
things as above?

I think putting arbitrary SQL expressions (let alone queries) would make scripts just a total mess and impossible for humans to parse.

No. Pavel does not like them. Tom wants them to be eventually possible... However, fine with me if it is decided that there will never be server-side expressions after \if. A good thing is that it potentially simplifies minimal \if client-side expressions.

I think so implementation of simple expression evaluation should not be hard - really just - we can expect so any variable will be replaced by const in expression

Num (<|>|=|<=|>=) Num
Text (<|>|=|<=|>=) Text
not Bool
Bool (or|and) Bool

and special operator "defined"

It think so it is all what is necessary to calculate on client side (maybe text operations are not necessary)

It can be good enough to write

\if not defined somevar
\quit "var is not defined"
\else
\if :somevar > 10000 and SERVER_NUM >= 100000
\end
\end

Whereas storing the results in psql variables and then using those variables in \if makes even fairly complex queries and nested \if structures straightforward. It would also make it far clearer in what order the queries will be evaluated and under which set of conditions.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I get it. The penalty I see is that it adds a dummy variable which must be given a sensible name, and for very short expressions this is not a win. But this is a minor point.

I know so it is not ideal - but the language with commands "\if", "\else" ... is not ideal language.

I am very happy so Corey did this work, but I have not and I had not idea of using psql scripting like full functionality language - you know it well - the hard barrier is interactivity of psql.

Sometimes I have a idea start new client - and maybe the generic usql client written in go can be good possibility. This client can have integrated some language like lua, that can be used for some client side scripting, maybe for tab complete, ... But it is in my dream area :) - back to ground :).

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Hello Pavel,

> I think so some local expression evaluation could be - but it should not be
> placed in \if statement

Why?

> \expr issupported :VERSION_NUM >= 10000

Hmmm. Although I do not buy this, it could work as a replacement for \set
which it seems cannot be upgraded because some people may rely on it to
just store whatever comes after it in a variable.

Maybe \setexpr or \set_expr because it is setting a variable and there is
already a \set.

> \if :issuported
>
> maybe \if can support the basic logic predicates NOT, OR, AND -

ISTM that "NOT" is a minimal requirement, and the easy one.

Note that OR & AND imply a syntax tree, handling parentheses, not in the
same league.

> but the operands can be only evaluated variables.

Why?

If your idea was to be followed, it seems to suggest two parsers with
different constraints, one for the suggested "\expr" and one for the
existing "\if".

I think that if there is a client expression lexer/parser/executor, there
would be just one of them for one syntax. Two is one too many.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

\else
\if :somevar > 10000 and SERVER_NUM >= 100000

should be
[...]

in this moment the I am thinking on concept level - \setexpr sounds better - sure

Important idea is integrating some simple calculus (hard to mark it as language) used for client side operations only. It can have own commands, and maybe it can be used in \if command

Regards

Pavel

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> I think so implementation of simple expression evaluation should not be
> hard

Indeed it is not hard, it is rather a matter of deciding what it should
do, and the syntax to do it.

> - really just - we can expect so any variable will be replaced by
> const in expression
>
> Num (<|>|=|<=|>=) Num

<> and != would seem handy as well.

> Text (<|>|=|<=|>=) Text

What would be the use case for handling TEXT?

> not Bool, Bool (or|and) Bool

Aka logical expressions.

> and special operator "defined"

I'm still not buying this suggestion at all because it does not look like
SQL and I think that client-side expressions should be a simple subset of
SQL expressions, which a "defined" operators is definitely not.

>> Hmmm. I'm not sure I get it. The penalty I see is that it adds a dummy
>> variable which must be given a sensible name, and for very short
>> expressions this is not a win. But this is a minor point.

> I know so it is not ideal - but the language with commands "\if", "\else"
> ... is not ideal language.

Sure.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

I think so implementation of simple expression evaluation should not be
hard

Indeed it is not hard, it is rather a matter of deciding what it should do, and the syntax to do it.

- really just - we can expect so any variable will be replaced by
const in expression

Num (<|>|=|<=|>=) Num

<> and != would seem handy as well.

sorry - I forgot

Text (<|>|=|<=|>=) Text

What would be the use case for handling TEXT?

not Bool, Bool (or|and) Bool

Aka logical expressions.

and special operator "defined"

I'm still not buying this suggestion at all because it does not look like SQL and I think that client-side expressions should be a simple subset of SQL expressions, which a "defined" operators is definitely not.

The "defined" tests is not coming from SQL universe. It is coming from scripting systems - In plain SQL I can use IS NULL. When I check any not existing variable in plpgsql I expect syntax error. So SQL doesn't know any similar to "defined" and it is ok. Currently In psql it is similar. When I use undefined psql variable I got syntax error. When I expect so some content of command line will come from command line or (possible) from some interactive action I would to handle this situation to by my script more user friendly - and I can write more user friendly error messages or I can react on it - enforce user input.

I cannot do test on client side test on NULL - currently psql variables doesn't support it - and I am think so it is not what I want - I am interesting about some meta information from outside.

else

I need to check if I can use some psql variable. I have to do on client side. In some languages is usual term defined - some other using some special syntax or special environments.

The my proposal "defined variablename" should be simple on implementation, but should not be one. It is just proposal.

The tests:

variable is defined, variable is null, ... is acceptable for me too - although I have small problem with NULL, because NULL can got from server - more psql variables doesn't support NULL, and support can enforce incompatible change.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I get it. The penalty I see is that it adds a dummy
variable which must be given a sensible name, and for very short
expressions this is not a win. But this is a minor point.

I know so it is not ideal - but the language with commands "\if", "\else"
... is not ideal language.

Sure.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Corey Huinker
Дата:
I think so some local expression evaluation could be - but it should not be
placed in \if statement

Why?

\expr issupported :VERSION_NUM >= 10000

Hmmm. Although I do not buy this, it could work as a replacement for \set which it seems cannot be upgraded because some people may rely on it to just store whatever comes after it in a variable.

I have no strong opinion on how expressive expressions should be, but having a separate \expr (or \setexpr, etc) gives us a green field to develop them.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
>> Hmmm. Although I do not buy this, it could work as a replacement for \set
>> which it seems cannot be upgraded because some people may rely on it to
>> just store whatever comes after it in a variable.
>
> I have no strong opinion on how expressive expressions should be, but
> having a separate \expr (or \setexpr, etc) gives us a green field to
> develop them.

Yep.

One possible approach would be to reuse pgbench expression engine in order
to avoid redevelopping yet another lexer & parser & evaluator. This would
mean some abstraction work, but it looks like the simplest & most
effective approach right now. Currently it supports an SQL-expression
subset about int & float, and there is an ongoing submission to add
booleans and a few functions. If this is done this way, this suggests that
variable management should/could be merged as well, but there are some
differences (psql variables are not typed, it relies on a list, there is a
"namespace" thing I'm not sure I understood...).

Pavel also suggested some support for TEXT, although I would like to see a
use case. That could be another extension to the engine.

A drawback is that pgbench needs more powerfull client-side expressions
than psql, thus it adds some useless complexity to psql, but avoiding
another engine seems desirable.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
"Daniel Verite"
Дата:
    Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Pavel also suggested some support for TEXT, although I would like to see a
> use case. That could be another extension to the engine.

SQLSTATE is text.

Also when issuing "psql -v someoption=value -f script", it's reasonable
to want to compare :someoptionvar to 'somevalue' in the script.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

[...]

I checked the pgbench expr related code.

Now, there are not a boolean operations, and value compare operations. But there are lot of functions for random numbers - it is nice for regress tests.

The text support should be really minimalist - eq op - or can be removed, if we will have special functions for SQLSTATE (but simple string eq operation should be useful for writing some tests).

A drawback is that pgbench needs more powerfull client-side expressions than psql, thus it adds some useless complexity to psql, but avoiding another engine seems desirable.

The pgbench expression language is perfect for us - there is not any new dependency - it is working on all supported platforms.

Can be nice, if we can reuse pgbench expressions in psql - there are some task that should be solved first (it is definitely topic for next release)

1. synchronise lexers  - the psql lexer doesn't supports types, but supports variable escaping
2. move pgbench expressions to separate module
3. teach pgbench expressions booleans and strings
4. because pgbench doesn't do early variable evaluation, implementation of "defined" function is easy - we can introduce some new syntax for implementation some bash patterns like "default value" or "own undefined message"
5. we can introduce \setexpr in psql, and \if can use pgbench expr too (the result of expression) must be boolean value like now
6. the psql builtin variables should be enhanced about server side and client side numeric versions
7. the psql builtin variables should be enhanced about sqlstate - we are able to handle errors due setting ON_ERROR_STOP already
8. the psql builtin variables can be enhanced about info about processed rows

There is a benefit for pgbench - the code can be reduced after migration expr related code to independent module.

The pgbench can take \if command and \setexpr command (although \setexpr can be redundant there, there can be nice compatibility with psql)

Regards

Pavel

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> I checked the pgbench expr related code.

> 2. move pgbench expressions to separate module

Probably already existing "fe_utils".

See https://commitfest.postgresql.org/14/985/

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

I checked the pgbench expr related code.

2. move pgbench expressions to separate module

Probably already existing "fe_utils".

3. teach pgbench expressions booleans

See https://commitfest.postgresql.org/14/985/

so some work is done :)

Regards

Pavel

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Hello Pavel,

A more detailed answer to your many points.

> The pgbench expression language is perfect for us - there is not any new
> dependency - it is working on all supported platforms.
>
> Can be nice, if we can reuse pgbench expressions in psql - there are some
> task that should be solved first (it is definitely topic for next release)
>
> 1. synchronise lexers  - the psql lexer doesn't supports types, but
> supports variable escaping

Yep. Probably no big deal.

> 2. move pgbench expressions to separate module

Yep, that is needed, "fe_utils" looks like the place as I pointed out
earlier.

> 3. teach pgbench expressions booleans and strings

Boolean are in progress. For string, ISTM that = <> and maybe
|| would make sense.

> 4. because pgbench doesn't do early variable evaluation, implementation of
> "defined" function is easy - we can introduce some new syntax for
> implementation some bash patterns like "default value" or "own undefined
> message"

Maybe. ISTM that a :* syntax should be thought for so that it always work
where variable can be used, not only within client side expressions.

Consider:
  \set port 5432

Then you can write:
  SELECT :port ;  -- 5432

And it currently works as expected in SQL. Now I think that the same
behavior is desirable for variable definition testing, i.e. with a :*
syntax the substitution can be performed everywhere, eg with:
  \if ...    \set port 5432  \endif

Then it would work both client side:
  \let port_is_defined :?port

and also server side:
  SELECT :?port AS port_is_defined \gset

However I do not think that this can be done cleanly with a "à la perl"
defined.

> 5. we can introduce \setexpr in psql, and \if can use pgbench expr too (the
> result of expression) must be boolean value like now

Yes.

> 6. the psql builtin variables should be enhanced about server side and
> client side numeric versions

Yes, add some typing where appropriate.

> 7. the psql builtin variables should be enhanced about sqlstate - we are
> able to handle errors due setting ON_ERROR_STOP already

Probably.

> 8. the psql builtin variables can be enhanced about info about processed
> rows

Yep. I've already submitted something about ROW_COUNT and such, see:
    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/14/1103/

> The pgbench can take \if command and \setexpr command (although \setexpr
> can be redundant there, there can be nice compatibility with psql)

I now believe that "\let" is the nicest sounding close to set short
option, and indeed it should be made to work for pgbench as well to keep
things consistent, for some definition of consistent.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

4. because pgbench doesn't do early variable evaluation, implementation of
"defined" function is easy - we can introduce some new syntax for
implementation some bash patterns like "default value" or "own undefined
message"

Maybe. ISTM that a :* syntax should be thought for so that it always work where variable can be used, not only within client side expressions.

has sense

Consider:

  \set port 5432

Then you can write:

  SELECT :port ;
  -- 5432

And it currently works as expected in SQL. Now I think that the same behavior is desirable for variable definition testing, i.e. with a :* syntax the substitution can be performed everywhere, eg with:

  \if ...
    \set port 5432
  \endif

Then it would work both client side:

  \let port_is_defined :?port

and also server side:

  SELECT :?port AS port_is_defined \gset

However I do not think that this can be done cleanly with a "à la perl" defined.

The syntax is minor problem  in this case - I can live with any syntax there. I prefer a verbose syntax against not well known symbols. If I can choose between some solutions, then my preferences are 1. some verbose simple solution with usual syntax, 2. some syntax from another well known product, 3. some special new PostgreSQL syntax. I don't think so :?xxx is good idea, because for me :xxx is related to content, not to metadata and Robert's tip of using bash syntax is more logical for me (to have syntax for default and custom message). I understand well so it is subjective - and more, don't think so this point is significant. We should to have this functionality. That is all.

[...]

sounds well

Regards

Pavel

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> I don't think so :?xxx is good idea, because for me :xxx is related to
> content, not to metadata

Hmmm. Indeed it is not. I do not see it as an issue, but it is a good
point.

Consider perl "defined $x" or "exists $f{k}". $x/$f{k} should be contents,
but it is not, the dereferencing is suspended by "defined/exists" Yuk,
but simple and effective.

Also with CPP: "#define x 1, #ifdef x", somehow "x" should be the value,
not the name, but yet again it is not dereferenced.

Now consider python: "if 'varname' in locals():" at least it is
consistent, but I cannot say it looks better in the end:-)

So playing around with a value vs metadata is a frequent trick to keep the
syntax simple, even if the logic is not all there as you point out.

> and Robert's tip of using bash syntax is more logical for me (to have
> syntax for default and custom message).

There is no way to simply test for definition in bash, which is exactly
what is needed...

A second issue with sh-like proposal is that it needs a boundary thing,
i.e. bash uses braces ${name<operator>value}. If it was the beginning of
psql I would suggest to consider ${name} stuff, but now I'm not sure that
such a thing can be introduced like ":{xxx}" ? Maybe that can be done.

However it does not change the issue that sh does not allow to test
whether a variable is defined, which is the thought for feature. Providing
a default value or erroring out is not the same thing.

Another question to address: how do you handle ' and " escaping? Pg
:'name' and :"name" solutions are somewhat horrible, but they are there
which show that it was needed. I'm not sure how to translate that with
braces in pg. Maybe :{'name'} and :{"name"}? Hmmm...
Or ":{name}", but then what happens if I write ':{n} x :{m}', should the
lexer interpolate and escape them inside the strings? That is the sh
solution, but I'm not sure it should be done now in psql.

> I understand well so it is subjective - and more, don't think so this
> point is significant.

Well, depending on the syntax things can be done or not, eg test the
variable definition server-side, not only client side. Hence the
discussion:-)

> We should to have this functionality.

Yes.

--
Fabien.

Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От
Pavel Stehule

I don't think so :?xxx is good idea, because for me :xxx is related to content, not to metadata

Hmmm. Indeed it is not. I do not see it as an issue, but it is a good point.

Consider perl "defined $x" or "exists $f{k}". $x/$f{k} should be contents, but it is not, the dereferencing is suspended by "defined/exists" Yuk, but simple and effective.

Also with CPP: "#define x 1, #ifdef x", somehow "x" should be the value, not the name, but yet again it is not dereferenced.

Now consider python: "if 'varname' in locals():" at least it is consistent, but I cannot say it looks better in the end:-)

So playing around with a value vs metadata is a frequent trick to keep the syntax simple, even if the logic is not all there as you point out.

and Robert's tip of using bash syntax is more logical for me (to have syntax for default and custom message).

There is no way to simply test for definition in bash, which is exactly what is needed...

A second issue with sh-like proposal is that it needs a boundary thing, i.e. bash uses braces ${name<operator>value}. If it was the beginning of psql I would suggest to consider ${name} stuff, but now I'm not sure that such a thing can be introduced like ":{xxx}" ? Maybe that can be done.

However it does not change the issue that sh does not allow to test whether a variable is defined, which is the thought for feature. Providing a default value or erroring out is not the same thing.

Another question to address: how do you handle ' and " escaping? Pg :'name' and :"name" solutions are somewhat horrible, but they are there which show that it was needed. I'm not sure how to translate that with braces in pg. Maybe :{'name'} and :{"name"}? Hmmm...
Or ":{name}", but then what happens if I write ':{n} x :{m}', should the lexer interpolate and escape them inside the strings? That is the sh solution, but I'm not sure it should be done now in psql.

I have same thinks. We can disallow nesting - it can be acceptable limit. The :{xxx:operator} can be used for more things - default, check, user input, ...

necessary escaping can be done in next line

I understand well so it is subjective - and more, don't think so this point is significant.

Well, depending on the syntax things can be done or not, eg test the variable definition server-side, not only client side. Hence the discussion:-)

It depends if variables are declared or defined by value. In psql there are defined by value. So some tests if var is defined or not is necessary.