Обсуждение: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

[pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
versions as macOS.  Commit da6c4f6ca88d in the PostgreSQL repo changed from
using (various version of) Mac OS X to macOS, the attached patch applies the
same to the macOS /download and /about pages.

Also updates the information on macOS server and the contents of a fresh base
installation (verified for macOS El Capitan and Sierra) as well as fix some
small spacing nits and <p> tag placement.

cheers ./daniel

Re: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

От
Magnus Hagander

Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
versions as macOS.  Commit da6c4f6ca88d in the PostgreSQL repo changed from
using (various version of) Mac OS X to macOS, the attached patch applies the
same to the macOS /download and /about pages.

Also updates the information on macOS server and the contents of a fresh base
installation (verified for macOS El Capitan and Sierra) as well as fix some
small spacing nits and <p> tag placement.

Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider that?

--

Re: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

Дата:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>> Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
>> versions as macOS.

> Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider
> that?

As Daniel said, they're retroactively calling all versions macOS.  I'm
sure you can still find "OS X" in places, but that's just because they
haven't been thorough about updating everything.

As I wrote in commit da6c4f6ca88d:
We weren't terribly consistent about whether to call Apple's OS"OS X" or "Mac OS X", and the former is probably
confusingtopeople who aren't Apple users.  Now that Apple has rebranded it"macOS", follow their lead to establish a
consistentnamingpattern.

I think "macOS" is just better all-around for our purposes, and we should
be grateful for the opportunity to change our documentation.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
>>> versions as macOS.
>
>> Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider
>> that?
>
> As Daniel said, they're retroactively calling all versions macOS.  I'm
> sure you can still find "OS X" in places, but that's just because they
> haven't been thorough about updating everything.

Although it might qualify as nitpicking, I did deliberately leave OS X Server
10.7 with “OS X” since that’s an app and not an operating system, and it was
when shipped named OS X Server.

> I think "macOS" is just better all-around for our purposes, and we should
> be grateful for the opportunity to change our documentation.

+1

cheers ./daniel

Re: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> Apple rebranded Mac OS X to macOS in 2016, and are now referring to all
>>> versions as macOS.
>
>> Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider
>> that?
>
> As Daniel said, they're retroactively calling all versions macOS.  I'm
> sure you can still find "OS X" in places, but that's just because they
> haven't been thorough about updating everything.

Although it might qualify as nitpicking, I did deliberately leave OS X Server
10.7 with “OS X” since that’s an app and not an operating system, and it was
when shipped named OS X Server.

I noticed you also left the url as macosx. Do we care enough to rename that and have to set up a redirect, or are we fine to keep it macosx there?

> I think "macOS" is just better all-around for our purposes, and we should
> be grateful for the opportunity to change our documentation.

+1

Good enough for me - applied :)

--

Re: [pgsql-www] OS X to macOS

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 18 Feb 2017, at 19:40, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
> > On 18 Feb 2017, at 17:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
> >
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net <mailto:magnus@hagander.net>> writes:
> >
> >> Have they retroactively re-branded old versions, or do we need to consider
> >> that?
> >
> > As Daniel said, they're retroactively calling all versions macOS.  I'm
> > sure you can still find "OS X" in places, but that's just because they
> > haven't been thorough about updating everything.
>
> Although it might qualify as nitpicking, I did deliberately leave OS X Server
> 10.7 with “OS X” since that’s an app and not an operating system, and it was
> when shipped named OS X Server.
>
> I noticed you also left the url as macosx. Do we care enough to rename that and have to set up a redirect, or are we
fineto keep it macosx there?

Changing, and adding a redirect from /macosx, seemed a bit overkill to me.
Wouldn’t hurt, but I dont think /macosx will be a cause of confusion.

> > I think "macOS" is just better all-around for our purposes, and we should
> > be grateful for the opportunity to change our documentation.
>
> +1
>
> Good enough for me - applied :)

Thanks!

cheers ./daniel