Обсуждение: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

[HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Kyle Gearhart
Дата:
The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the internal data structure of a PGresult.
Thereare a few use cases where the caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
columnusing PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data from PGresult for each row into its own
structures.

I've got a working proof of concept that allows the caller to attach a callback that pqRowProcessor will call instead
ofgoing thru its own routine.  This eliminates all the copying of data from the PGconn buffer to a PGresult buffer and
thenultimately a series of PQgetvalue calls by the client.  The callback allows the caller to receive each row's data
directlyfrom the PGconn buffer.

It would require exposing struct pgDataValue in libpq-fe.h.  The prototype for the callback pointer would be:
int (*PQrowProcessorCB)(PGresult*, const PGdataValue*, int col_count, void *user_data);

My initial testing shows a significant performance improvement.  I'd like some opinions on this before wiring up a
performanceproof and updating the documentation for a formal patch submission.

Kyle Gearhart

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 2/3/17 3:53 PM, Kyle Gearhart wrote:
> The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the internal data structure of a PGresult.
Thereare a few use cases where the caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
columnusing PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data from PGresult for each row into its own
structures.

> I've got a working proof of concept that allows the caller to attach a callback that pqRowProcessor will call instead
ofgoing thru its own routine.  This eliminates all the copying of data from the PGconn buffer to a PGresult buffer and
thenultimately a series of PQgetvalue calls by the client.  The callback allows the caller to receive each row's data
directlyfrom the PGconn buffer.

> It would require exposing struct pgDataValue in libpq-fe.h.  The prototype for the callback pointer would be:
> int (*PQrowProcessorCB)(PGresult*, const PGdataValue*, int col_count, void *user_data);
>
> My initial testing shows a significant performance improvement.  I'd like some opinions on this before wiring up a
performanceproof and updating the documentation for a formal patch submission.

I just did essentially the same thing for SPI (use a callback to allow
the caller to handle the tuple instead of shoving it into a tuplestore).
A simple test in plpython showed a 460% improvement.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

Дата:
Kyle Gearhart <kyle.gearhart@indigohill.io> writes:
> The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the internal data structure of a PGresult.
Thereare a few use cases where the caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
columnusing PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data from PGresult for each row into its own
structures.

It seems like you're sort of reinventing "single row mode":
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-single-row-mode.html

Do we really need yet another way of breaking the unitary-query-result
abstraction?
        regards, tom lane

From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]:
> Kyle Gearhart <kyle.gearhart@indigohill.io> writes:
>> The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the internal data structure of a PGresult.
Thereare a few use cases where the caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
columnusing PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data from PGresult for each row into its own
structures.

> It seems like you're sort of reinventing "single row mode":
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-single-row-mode.html

> Do we really need yet another way of breaking the unitary-query-result abstraction?

If it's four times faster...then the option should be available in libpq.  I'm traveling tomorrow but will try to get a
patchand proof with pgbench dataset up by the middle of the week.

The performance gains are consistent with Jim Nasby's findings with SPI.

Kyle Gearhart

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Kyle Gearhart
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]:
>> Kyle Gearhart <kyle.gearhart@indigohill.io> writes:
>>> The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the internal data structure of a PGresult.
Thereare a few use cases where the caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
columnusing PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data from PGresult for each row into its own
structures.

>> It seems like you're sort of reinventing "single row mode":
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-single-row-mode.html

>> Do we really need yet another way of breaking the unitary-query-result abstraction?

> If it's four times faster...then the option should be available in libpq.  I'm traveling tomorrow but will try to get
apatch and proof with pgbench dataset up by the middle of the week.

Attached is a proof, test program and test results.  No documentation changes have been included at this time.

It was tested against a pgbench_accounts record set with 100,000 records.  Overall, wall clock improves 24%.  User time
elapsedis a 430% improvement.  About half the time is spent waiting on the IO with the callback.  With the regular
pqRowProcessoronly about 16% of the time is spent waiting on IO.

The test program follows the pgbench program's command line options, with an added parameter called "m", short for
mode. Set the option to "row" for single row processing and "cb" for callback processing.

I did not provision for the test program to accept a password from a prompt, you'll have to pass that in the arguments.

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 2/8/17 5:11 PM, Kyle Gearhart wrote:
> Overall, wall clock improves 24%.  User time elapsed is a 430% improvement.  About half the time is spent waiting on
theIO with the callback.  With the regular pqRowProcessor only about 16% of the time is spent waiting on IO.

To wit...
    real    user    sys
single row    0.214    0.131    0.048
callback    0.161    0.030    0.051

Those are averaged over 11 runs.

Can you run a trace to see where all the time is going in the single row
case? I don't see an obvious time-suck with a quick look through the
code. It'd be interesting to see how things change if you eliminate the
filler column from the SELECT.

Also, the backend should be buffering ~8kb of data before handing that
to the socket. If that's more than the kernel can buffer I'd expect a
serious performance hit.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Kyle Gearhart
Дата:
On 2/9/17 7:15 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Can you run a trace to see where all the time is going in the single row case? I don't see an obvious time-suck with
aquick look through the code. It'd be interesting to see how things change if you eliminate the filler column from the
SELECT.

Traces are attached, these are with callgrind.

profile_nofiller.txt: single row without filler column
profile_filler.txt: single row with filler column
profile_filler_callback.txt: callback with filler column

pqResultAlloc looks to hit malloc pretty hard.  The callback reduces all of that to a single malloc for each row.

Without the filler, here is the average over 11 runs:
        Real    user    sys
Callback    .133    .033    .035
Single Row    .170    .112    .029

For the callback case, it's slightly higher than the prior results with the filler column.

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Kyle Gearhart
<kyle.gearhart@indigohill.io> wrote:
> On 2/9/17 7:15 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Can you run a trace to see where all the time is going in the single row case? I don't see an obvious time-suck with
aquick look through the code. It'd be interesting to see how things change if you eliminate the filler column from the
SELECT.

> Traces are attached, these are with callgrind.
>
> profile_nofiller.txt: single row without filler column
> profile_filler.txt: single row with filler column
> profile_filler_callback.txt: callback with filler column
>
> pqResultAlloc looks to hit malloc pretty hard.  The callback reduces all of that to a single malloc for each row.

Couldn't that be optimized, say, by preserving malloc'd memory when in
single row mode and recycling it?  (IIRC during the single row mode
discussion this optimization was voted down).

A barebones callback mode ISTM is a complete departure from the
classic PGresult interface.  This code is pretty unpleasant IMO:
acct->abalance = *((int*)PQgetvalue(res, 0, i));
acct->abalance = __bswap_32(acct->abalance);

Your code is faster but foists a lot of the work on the user, so it's
kind of cheating in a way (although very carefully written
applications might be able to benefit).

merlin

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Kyle Gearhart
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 Merlin Moncure wrote:
>A barebones callback mode ISTM is a complete departure from the classic PGresult interface.  This code is pretty
unpleasantIMO:

acct->abalance = *((int*)PQgetvalue(res, 0, i)); abalance =
acct->__bswap_32(acct->abalance);

> Your code is faster but foists a lot of the work on the user, so it's kind of cheating in a way (although very
carefullywritten applications might be able to benefit).

The bit you call out above is for single row mode.  Binary mode is a slippery slope, with or without the proposed
callback.

Let's remember that one of the biggest, often overlooked, gains when using an ORM is that it abstracts all this mess
away. The goal here is to prevent all the ORM/framework folks from having to implement protocol.  Otherwise they get to
waiton libpq to copy from the socket to the PGconn buffer to the PGresult structure to their buffers.  The callback
keepsthe slowest guy on the team...on the bench.

Kyle Gearhart

Re: [HACKERS] libpq Alternate Row Processor

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 2/13/17 8:46 AM, Kyle Gearhart wrote:
> profile_filler.txt
> 61,410,901  ???:_int_malloc [/usr/lib64/libc-2.17.so]
> 38,321,887  ???:_int_free [/usr/lib64/libc-2.17.so]
> 31,400,139  ???:pqResultAlloc [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 22,839,505  ???:pqParseInput3 [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 17,600,004  ???:pqRowProcessor [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 16,002,817  ???:malloc [/usr/lib64/libc-2.17.so]
> 14,716,359  ???:pqGetInt [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 14,400,000  ???:check_tuple_field_number [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 13,800,324  main.c:main [/usr/local/src/postgresql-perf/test]

> profile_filler_callback.txt
> 16,842,303  ???:pqParseInput3 [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 14,810,783  ???:_int_malloc [/usr/lib64/libc-2.17.so]
> 12,616,338  ???:pqGetInt [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
> 10,000,000  ???:pqSkipnchar [/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5.10]
>  9,200,004  main.c:process_callback [/usr/local/src/postgresql-perf/test]

Wow, that's a heck of a difference.

There's a ton of places where the backend copies data for no other
purpose than to put it into a different memory context. I'm wondering if
there's improvement to be had there as well, or whether palloc is so
much faster than malloc that it's not an issue. I suspect that some of
the effects are being masked by other things since presumably palloc and
memcpy are pretty cheap on small volumes of data...
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)