Обсуждение: BUG #14380: pg_config fails to build.

BUG #14380: pg_config fails to build.

От
hellkite500@gmail.com
Дата: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Re: BUG #14380: pg_config fails to build.

Дата:
hellkite500@gmail.com writes:
> I am attempting a build on a RHEL 6.4 machine using gcc 4.4.7.
> I get the following error during the build.

[ scratches head... ]  Weird.  Evidently something is going wrong with
the quoting of those make variables; but the gcc command line looks
exactly as it should, AFAICT.  Are you using a nonstandard shell, or
something other than the stock gcc installation?

A slightly far-fetched possibility is that you have a corrupted ccache
entry for this file.  In a standard RHEL6 installation, "gcc" really
invokes "ccache gcc", so the lack of any mention of ccache in the given
command line doesn't eliminate this theory.  If you can't find any other
explanation, you might try "rm -rf ~/.ccache" and see if that makes it
better.

(FWIW, PG9.2 builds fine on RHEL6.8 for me, and I'm sure it built fine
on 6.4, back when I was running that.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #14380: pg_config fails to build.

От
Nels Frazier
Дата:
So I checked out ~/.ccache, and there was no such file/directory in my home folder.

I tried configuring/building from both bash and tcsh, neither worked.  This is really strange, since I was able to build successfully on a RHEL 6.7 machine using:
GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
GNU Make 3.8.1
gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-16)

But on the RHEL 6.4 machine using:

GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
GNU Make 3.81
gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3)

the build fails.  I even tried using a different compiler version (gcc (GCC) 4.7.1) to no avail.

I did finally get a working build of pg_config with no errors or warning by removing the single quotes in the path variables.  I don't know if this is correct or not, since I'm not familiar with the mechanics used by make/pg_config. But changing
-DVAL_CONFIGURE="\"'--prefix=/glade/p/work/nfrazie1/CI-WATER-tools/'\""
-DVAL_CONFIGURE="\"--prefix=/glade/p/work/nfrazie1/CI-WATER-tools/\""

and -DVAL_LDFLAGS="\"-Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath,'/glade/p/work/nfrazie1/CI-WATER-tools/lib',--enable-new-dtags\""
-DVAL_LDFLAGS="\"-Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath,/glade/p/work/nfrazie1/CI-WATER-tools/lib,--enable-new-dtags\""

I was able to build pg_config. I hacked the Makefile to strip the quotes out (see attached patch if interested.)

An interesting note:  I checked to compile line for the build on the 6.7 machine, and it has the single quotes in the compile line.

Should it be ok to proceed using the patch to get a build completed?

Nels

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
hellkite500@gmail.com writes:
> I am attempting a build on a RHEL 6.4 machine using gcc 4.4.7.
> I get the following error during the build.

[ scratches head... ]  Weird.  Evidently something is going wrong with
the quoting of those make variables; but the gcc command line looks
exactly as it should, AFAICT.  Are you using a nonstandard shell, or
something other than the stock gcc installation?

A slightly far-fetched possibility is that you have a corrupted ccache
entry for this file.  In a standard RHEL6 installation, "gcc" really
invokes "ccache gcc", so the lack of any mention of ccache in the given
command line doesn't eliminate this theory.  If you can't find any other
explanation, you might try "rm -rf ~/.ccache" and see if that makes it
better.

(FWIW, PG9.2 builds fine on RHEL6.8 for me, and I'm sure it built fine
on 6.4, back when I was running that.)

Re: BUG #14380: pg_config fails to build.

Дата:
Nels Frazier <hellkite500@gmail.com> writes:
> So I checked out ~/.ccache, and there was no such file/directory in my home
> folder.

Hm, ccache RPM not installed then?

> I tried configuring/building from both bash and tcsh, neither worked.  This
> is really strange, since I was able to build successfully on a RHEL 6.7
> machine using:
> GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
> GNU Make 3.8.1
> gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-16)

> But on the RHEL 6.4 machine using:

> GNU bash, version 4.1.2(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
> GNU Make 3.81
> gcc (GCC) 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3)

> the build fails.  I even tried using a different compiler version (gcc
> (GCC) 4.7.1) to no avail.

Don't know what to tell you.  RHEL 6.4 was current during 2013, which is
the same year that 9.2 was our current release, and we would certainly
have noticed if there was any widespread (or even not so widespread)
build failure on that combination.  Also, the code in question hasn't
changed in quite some time, so the issue would affect other PG branches
besides 9.2, making it even less likely that we'd have missed a problem.
I have to think that one or another component of your toolchain is
nonstandard or corrupted, but it's hard to say more than that.

> Should it be ok to proceed using the patch to get a build completed?

Well, Postgres isn't going to care.  Applications that make use of the
output of pg_config might be unhappy with the lack of quotes, although
most likely it wouldn't matter as long as there's not spaces or quotes
in your path names.

            regards, tom lane