Обсуждение: pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

От
Дата:
lang="EN-US"> </span><pclass="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">On Windows 10 using a high res screen with high dpi scaling
turnedon and set to 200%, the text in the pgAdmin 4 (standalone) interface becomes almost illegible. </span><p
claimsto Windows that is high dpi aware when it actually isn’t. See <a
href="http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html">http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html</a>for more info about how QT deals with
shortterm solution would be to make the app dpi unaware, thus letting Windows take care of the scaling. </span><p
lang="EN-US">---snip---</span><pclass="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">In order to get an application designed for low
DPIvalues running on a high resolution monitors quickly, consider one of the scaling options (let the application run
asDPI Unaware on Windows or set the environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR to "1". These options may incur
class="MsoNormal"><spanlang="EN-US">In the longer term, the application should be adapted to run unmodified:</span><p
class="MsoListParagraph"style="text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1"><span lang="EN-US"><span
lang="EN-US">Alwaysuse the qreal versions of the QPainter drawing API.</span><p class="MsoListParagraph"
style="text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0level1 lfo1"><span lang="EN-US"><span style="mso-list:Ignore">-<span
relationto the screen size.</span><p class="MsoListParagraph" style="text-indent:-18.0pt;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1"><span
lang="EN-US"><spanstyle="mso-list:Ignore">-<span style="font:7.0pt "Times New Roman"">
lang="EN-US"> </span><pclass="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US">pgAdmin III is not affected as it is clearly not dpi aware
andtherefore scaled by Windows. This leads to blurred text and icons but at least it’s big enough to be legible.

Re: pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 11:43 PM,  <viktor@troja.ch> wrote:
> Hi list, hi Dave,
>
> On Windows 10 using a high res screen with high dpi scaling turned on and
> set to 200%, the text in the pgAdmin 4 (standalone) interface becomes almost
> illegible.
>
> The issue seems to be that pgAdmin claims to Windows that is high dpi aware
> when it actually isn’t. See http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html for more info
> about how QT deals with high dpi issues.

I think it's more subtle than that. Most of the dev team run Macs, and
high dpi support seems to work fine for us. We have had some issues
reported - but on my retina MBP for example, pgAdmin displays nicely
at all scaling levels.

> The short term solution would be to make the app dpi unaware, thus letting
> Windows take care of the scaling.

Have you tried setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR? Does it make a
difference on Windows?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

От
Viktor Trojanovic
Дата:
dir="ltr"><<ahref="mailto:dpage@pgadmin.org" target="_blank">dpage@pgadmin.org</a>></span> wrote:<br
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
Windows10 using a high res screen with high dpi scaling turned on and<br /> > set to 200%, the text in the pgAdmin 4
claimsto Windows that is high dpi aware<br /> > when it actually isn’t. See <a
href="http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html"rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.<wbr />html</a>
Mostof the dev team run Macs, and<br /> high dpi support seems to work fine for us. We have had some issues<br />
reported- but on my retina MBP for example, pgAdmin displays nicely<br /> at all scaling levels.<br /><span
class="gmail-"><br/> > The short term solution would be to make the app dpi unaware, thus letting<br /> > Windows
/></div><divclass="gmail_extra">I can confirm that setting the environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1, or 0
/></div></div>

Re: pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Viktor Trojanovic <viktor@troja.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 11:43 PM,  <viktor@troja.ch> wrote:
>> > Hi list, hi Dave,
>> >
>> > On Windows 10 using a high res screen with high dpi scaling turned on
>> > and
>> > set to 200%, the text in the pgAdmin 4 (standalone) interface becomes
>> > almost
>> > illegible.
>> >
>> > The issue seems to be that pgAdmin claims to Windows that is high dpi
>> > aware
>> > when it actually isn’t. See http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html for more
>> > info
>> > about how QT deals with high dpi issues.
>>
>> I think it's more subtle than that. Most of the dev team run Macs, and
>> high dpi support seems to work fine for us. We have had some issues
>> reported - but on my retina MBP for example, pgAdmin displays nicely
>> at all scaling levels.
>>
>> > The short term solution would be to make the app dpi unaware, thus
>> > letting
>> > Windows take care of the scaling.
>>
>> Have you tried setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR? Does it make a
>> difference on Windows?
>>

> I can confirm that setting the environment variable
> QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1, or 0 for that matter, makes no difference.
>
> I even tried setting the following parameters in your qt.conf:
>
> [Platforms]
> WindowsArguments = dpiawareness=0 (and 1, and 2)
>
> without any effect.

:-(. OK, thanks - I've added this thread to
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1564 where we're tracking issues
related to this.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 4 v1.0: Problems with high dpi scaling on Win10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Viktor Trojanovic <viktor@troja.ch> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> I think it's more subtle than that. Most of the dev team run Macs, and
>>> high dpi support seems to work fine for us. We have had some issues
>>> reported - but on my retina MBP for example, pgAdmin displays nicely
>>> at all scaling levels.

>>> Have you tried setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR? Does it make a
>>> difference on Windows?
>>>

>> I can confirm that setting the environment variable
>> QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1, or 0 for that matter, makes no difference.
>>
>> I even tried setting the following parameters in your qt.conf:
>>
>> [Platforms]
>> WindowsArguments = dpiawareness=0 (and 1, and 2)
>>
>> without any effect.
>
> :-(. OK, thanks - I've added this thread to
> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1564 where we're tracking issues
> related to this.

I just figured out how to reproduce this on Windows - it seems like
VMware was confusing matters, but I can see the problem now. I'll
update the ticket.

BTW; whilst it won't affect the runtime titlebar etc. are you aware
you can use Ctrl+ (depending on your keyboard, you may need to hit
Shift as well to get Ctrl+ rather than Ctrl=) and Ctrl- to zoom the
display? That will allow you to get it to a usable size.

--

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Viktor Trojanovic <viktor@troja.ch> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> I think it's more subtle than that. Most of the dev team run Macs, and
>>> high dpi support seems to work fine for us. We have had some issues
>>> reported - but on my retina MBP for example, pgAdmin displays nicely
>>> at all scaling levels.

>>> Have you tried setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR? Does it make a
>>> difference on Windows?
>>>

>> I can confirm that setting the environment variable
>> QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1, or 0 for that matter, makes no difference.
>>
>> I even tried setting the following parameters in your qt.conf:
>>
>> [Platforms]
>> WindowsArguments = dpiawareness=0 (and 1, and 2)
>>
>> without any effect.
>
> :-(. OK, thanks - I've added this thread to
> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1564 where we're tracking issues
> related to this.

I just figured out how to reproduce this on Windows - it seems like
VMware was confusing matters, but I can see the problem now. I'll
update the ticket.

BTW; whilst it won't affect the runtime titlebar etc. are you aware
you can use Ctrl+ (depending on your keyboard, you may need to hit
Shift as well to get Ctrl+ rather than Ctrl=) and Ctrl- to zoom the
display? That will allow you to get it to a usable size.

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply.

No, I wasn't aware of this. I was trying to do this using the scrollwheel on my mouse while pressing the CTRL-Key, without success. But just using the key combo CTRL-+ works perfectly, it basically solves my problem. Thanks for the hint!

Viktor