Обсуждение: about yum.postgresql.org

about yum.postgresql.org

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Hello,

from time to time I face issue with packages delivered at yum.postgresql.org.
This is expected as it is expected that everything can have issue.

I used to mail directly the main know author, Devrim Gundunz who I would like
to thank again to make the life easier when working in the RPM world.

However, we tend to use this repos more and more and I don't find a mailling-
list for it.

I believe it needs at least one for the NEWS (new build, fix, etc...) and for
bug-report.

Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/

Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?

I would also like to see the maintenance team of those packages been extended,
I believe Devrim is alone, which is not 'safe' (what happens if Devrim is in
holidays *without* internet, ... ok it is *rare*, but still).
Comments ?

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 18:43 +0200, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from time to time I face issue with packages delivered at yum.postgresql.org.
> This is expected as it is expected that everything can have issue.
>
> I used to mail directly the main know author, Devrim Gundunz who I would like
> to thank again to make the life easier when working in the RPM world.
>
> However, we tend to use this repos more and more and I don't find a mailling-
> list for it.
>
> I believe it needs at least one for the NEWS (new build, fix, etc...) and for
> bug-report.
>
> Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/
>
> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?

It would seem fair to have a list for RPM packages as well, as proposed
by Cédric.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 18:43 +0200, Cédric Villemain wrote:

<snip>

> I believe it needs at least one for the NEWS (new build, fix, etc...)
> and for  bug-report.

http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser
http://wiki.pgrpms.org/report

You can use the former one to track updates that are in the queue, the
second one for the bug reports and the progress.

I got a set of emails from you and other folks last week, but, per:

http://wiki.pgrpms.org/wiki/PackageUpdatePolicies

I intend to reply them this week.

> Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/
>
> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?

Good idea, +1.

> I would also like to see the maintenance team of those packages been
> extended,  I believe Devrim is alone, which is not 'safe' (what
> happens if Devrim is in  holidays *without* internet, ... ok it is
> *rare*, but still).

Well, there are two separate processes in here:

* Updating the spec file : I'm all for adding new people, who have
provided high quality patches so far. However, my experience has not
been that nice -- some people either tried to break packaging policies
of Fedora/Red Hat, some people tried to change the packaging layout
based on their personal/company/customer requirements. IIRC we have
Fetter and Magnus as the alternative committers in here, but I'm too
lazy to check it now. AFAIK, we don't have many Fedora packagers in the
community, except me and Tom (please feel to smack me if I am missing
someone else). Having some community packaging experience is strictly
what I personally am looking for, if I am in charge of adding new people
in here.

* Building packages: This requires extra permissions, extra caution,
extra experience. This process is half-automate, which is intended,
because we need a human *at least* to sign the packages (and check the
build status). This also requires access to a community machine, so that
probably something that our sysadmin team will also need to decide --

What if I decide to quit or die? No idea, but I believe the process is
more or less documented somewhere (sysadmins?), so someone can pick up
the packaging.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Devrim GÜNDÜZ's message of lun jul 02 17:12:27 -0400 2012:

> What if I decide to quit or die? No idea, but I believe the process is
> more or less documented somewhere (sysadmins?), so someone can pick up
> the packaging.

Hmm, I believe that if you haven't documented it, it's likely not
documented anywhere.

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 17:27 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Hmm, I believe that if you haven't documented it, it's likely not
> documented anywhere.

Right, but what I remember was I documented the process when we moved
the builds to the community machine. I may be wrong, though.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 17:27 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I believe that if you haven't documented it, it's likely not
>> documented anywhere.
>
> Right, but what I remember was I documented the process when we moved
> the builds to the community machine. I may be wrong, though.

If you did, I think you hid that documentation somewhere locally ;) I
checked the sysadmin docs - it has nothing about RPMs in particular,
and the build machine is only documented in what hardware it has and
where it's hosted.

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/
>>
>> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?
>
> Good idea, +1.

+1 as well.

Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)

>> I would also like to see the maintenance team of those packages been
>> extended,  I believe Devrim is alone, which is not 'safe' (what
>> happens if Devrim is in  holidays *without* internet, ... ok it is
>> *rare*, but still).
>
> Well, there are two separate processes in here:
>
> * Updating the spec file : I'm all for adding new people, who have
> provided high quality patches so far. However, my experience has not
> been that nice -- some people either tried to break packaging policies
> of Fedora/Red Hat, some people tried to change the packaging layout
> based on their personal/company/customer requirements. IIRC we have
> Fetter and Magnus as the alternative committers in here, but I'm too
> lazy to check it now. AFAIK, we don't have many Fedora packagers in the

If I'm a committer on that, I was certainly unaware of it :) And you
should probably not count me in even if I am - I've never worked with
any of that, so I couldn't go commit anything with confidence
anyway...

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mié jul 04 07:08:38 -0400 2012:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
> >> Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/
> >>
> >> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?
> >
> > Good idea, +1.
>
> +1 as well.
>
> Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)

Sure.  Who shall be the owner?

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mié jul 04 07:08:38 -0400 2012:

>> > Good idea, +1.
>>
>> +1 as well.
>>
>> Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)
>
> Sure.  Who shall be the owner?

Devrim, I assume.

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mié jul 04 11:17:10 -0400 2012:

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mié jul 04 07:08:38 -0400 2012:

> >> +1 as well.
> >>
> >> Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)
> >
> > Sure.  Who shall be the owner?
>
> Devrim, I assume.

Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address to
use.

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:31 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Sure.  Who shall be the owner?
> > Devrim, I assume.
>
> Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address
> to use.

Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Devrim GÜNDÜZ's message of mié jul 04 14:47:56 -0400 2012:
> > > Devrim, I assume.
> >
> > Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address
> > to use.
>

> Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.

Done

Re: about yum.postgresql.org

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le mercredi 4 juillet 2012 21:04:29, Alvaro Herrera a écrit :
> Excerpts from Devrim GÜNDÜZ's message of mié jul 04 14:47:56 -0400 2012:

> > > Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address
> > > to use.
> >
> > Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.
>
> Done

thank you.